Author Topic: Smitty Sled Anniversary Was Last Sunday! (post your smitty sled pictures here)  (Read 19642 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Keep the pics coming!! I appreciate the on going support!! Thank You!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Somebody made a Smitty Lure I saw one today

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
My modified "Smitty" 10 second setup/takedown

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Smitty,

Your design is a wonderful thing.  When I started reading iceshanty.com this winter (I'm a newbie here), the Smitty Sled thread caught my interest right away.  I finally got around to building one Monday, and just in time, too; we got a new foot of snow on the ice here.  I can't wait to try her out when the weekend gets here and I'll be sure to take some photos for this thread.

I wanted to build one so bad, I ALMOST took the saw to my Atomic Race Carvers (I haven't been skiing in a couple of years).  Luckily, I found an old pair of Elan NRGs to use instead!

Thanks for sharing your great idea,
Bob

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
Nothing like a Smitty Sled, simple and effective. Since this I built a 2nd one. Gave both away to good friends to enjoy.

A big THANK YOU for the idea, Smitty!

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict

made out of mill felt...

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Nothing like a Smitty Sled, simple and effective. Since this I built a 2nd one. Gave both away to good friends to enjoy.

(Image removed from quote.)

A big THANK YOU for the idea, Smitty!

I like your "ice cutter" design on the vertical legs!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like your "ice cutter" design on the vertical legs!

x2!

Are those uprights wood, or another material?

<*)))>{

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
x2!

Are those uprights wood, or another material?

<*)))>{

Started out as 2"X12" pine that I milled and painted.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
Hounds: You must be a plumber!!!

;D
No but I felt I could be after finishing that sled.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anutter SMITTY  just got done building the smitty sled,I  used kids ski's my buddy gave me from the dump, and tore down my old waterbed headboard for the riser pieces, found 1 x 4's in the basement and used them for crossmembers...had it out in the yard on some crusty snow that wasn't quite solid, worked well ,(after I got my 1.5 dx tacked down tight enough), It did well, but the snow was not nice for any tight circles (which you don't need to do anyhow), I feel like it will make a big difference when draggin thru the snow out on the ice.......I got about 8 bucks in it, with the hardware, even used the blue rope my buddy found streamside last spring. its such a simple design, yet will help you out when needed ..... NICE JOB SMITTY!!  Sincerely, Another Smitty, ;D

P.s. If I had the time I would post a pic,but it actually looks a lot like some of the pics already

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
THANK YOU SMITTY! I LOVES MY NEW SMITTY SLED!  :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5' long downhill skis (thank you to my daughter for donating these to the cause  ;D)
Aluminum angle used to attach uprights to skis (I re-used the binding screws to attach the angles to the skis)
Uprights are 1x6 pine spray painted silver for some bling  @)
The cross pieces are 1x6 pine also, I attached 1" square aluminum tubing to the bottom of the cross pieces to stiffen them and keep things light
Simple eye bolts at each end of the cross pieces.
I will paint the cross pieces this spring when it warms up, I built this in my shed and after I spray painted the uprights in the shed I figured enough brain cells had been donated to this build  :blink: :blink:
Rope attaches to the ski tips.
I loaded the sled up with my Frabil Refuge, two Jet Sleds on top of that and all the gear in the Jet Sleds, maybe 80# of stuff? Pulls like a dream and same in deep snow! Just amazing, thanks again Smitty! I used one long ratchet strap to secure the load, hooked one eye bolt, run strap over load, thread strap through eye bolts on opposite side then back over the top and hook to last eye bolt and ratchet tight, sweet!

image sharing

pictures upload

upload gambar

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
BIG thanks to smitty!

i use it to carry different shanties and tubs and things. probably weighs 200# at times. hard just to lift the front off the ground. glad its all on skies now.
get some funny remarks like i should be pulling my buddies on top of it so they don't have to walk from complete strangers just the other day.

looking to redo it, its too high and will be down on 2x6 i already have every thing. changing out the hardware too. used eves trough aluminum spikes and angle brackets on first beta test.
a buddy and i built ours together and he thought it should be on 2x12 to clear the snow, but it only takes about 2-3 inches on powder. maybe a 2x4 and cut the lower front corner of the braces would be fine too so if it does touch snow, it will ride it instead of plow it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
I'm going to build a Smitty Sled this year and have a question for you guy.  Should the skis be at least as long as the sled you're going to put on top or can they be shorter and if so how much shorter?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be pitting my Jet Sled XL on top.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yes at lest as long or longer ....remember weight toward the rear and a 14 -16 foot rope ...building my third Smitty sled today .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Thanks for the info.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
my ski's I got from my buddy at the landfill are just barely longer than my shappel 1.5dx flipover, I think it will be beneficial whenever you need to make turns.....

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
FYI:
A good place to acquire skis is your local ski shop. I was advised to check with the local ski shop, and their response was that they were "...MORE than happy to give some skis...
I'm picking up two sets tomorrow (free).
Happy sled-building!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm going to build a Smitty Sled this year and have a question for you guy.  Should the skis be at least as long as the sled you're going to put on top or can they be shorter and if so how much shorter?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be pitting my Jet Sled XL on top.

The longer the ski the easier it will be to pull and stay on top of deep snow better too...

The only downfalls to longer skis are, tough to make tight turns, and fitting inside a vehicle...

Mine are 6ft and I love them.. Two miles straight out on Lake Erie, no need to turn...

<*)))>{

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

aluminum with polymer skis

Offline jmorain

• IceShanty Rookie
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Joelmorain/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads

100% scratch built. Sorry for making you follow a link to my pics. I'm a relative newbie.
Smitty inspired flipping sled/shelter. Maiden voyage was last weekend. Lots of finishing touches to go, but overall, it was pretty dreamy.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Very nice setup.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Smitty build from last season

This years version

That's three builds for me so far ...kind of addicting ...have two more pairs of skis still
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Two Questions if y'all don't mind....

1.  What's the right amount of toe in to help the sled track straight?  a Few degrees enough?

2.  Did the correct pull point ever get established?  I see some pull ropes attached at the ski tips, some back at the front of first upright, and some at the forward cross piece.....

Thanks guys
Don't Stand Outside too long......

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Made mine straight ...no designed "toe in"
You want the rope 14-16 ft long tied to the skis to aide in "lifting" as you pull over terrain
Weight toward the rear .

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Just put mine together today, has a bed width of 40" wide and 36" long has 8 inches of clearance from snow to cross-members. Drilled holes through the ski tips so as to pass the pull rope through the ski and attach to the blocks for the riser. This I am hoping will help flex the ski and not put too much pressure on the tip so as to prevent the ski from breaking under stress.

The size was chosen so that it could accommodate either the Frabil Commando one man flip or the Frabil Recon Shuttle.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I was able to use a bunch of aluminum "T" bar I had laying around and the parts that went with it... All I had to buy was the ring bolts to tie into... I might have been able to make it taller, but I can still sit on my clam's chair as long as I don't "flip" the tent over! My old Clam Scout (that is always stuffed full of stuff), fits great on it and is much easier to pull now!  It weighs in at about 17 lbs...

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will love to see inside and how big its? I like that idea very simple and portable!

made out of mill felt...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.