Author Topic: How do YOU organize your tackle?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do YOU organize your tackle?
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I feel like I’m at a crossroads with my ice tackle storage. I have quite a few lures and thought I had a good system but it’s starting to seem clunky. Right now I have 3 of the 3500 Plano boxes with spoons, rippin raps etc as well as a number of smaller boxes for panfish tackle. All of this stored in a Sportsmans caddy.

How does everyone here organize your tackle? Are your spoons color coded or by style? Do you group by size?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
Re: How do YOU organize your tackle?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I use the clam boxes or like style with foam inserts - keeps baits from rubbing - I organize by manufacturer
Box of diamond jigs  , northland spoons , cjs slender , darters , rippin raps ect
 Works for me

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Fresh, salt and ice!

As for ice, it's jigs and spoons, then by size and colors.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I feel like I’m at a crossroads with my ice tackle storage. I have quite a few lures and thought I had a good system but it’s starting to seem clunky. Right now I have 3 of the 3500 Plano boxes with spoons, rippin raps etc as well as a number of smaller boxes for panfish tackle. All of this stored in a Sportsmans caddy.

How does everyone here organize your tackle? Are your spoons color coded or by style? Do you group by size?
Too much stuff, maybe??? ;D ;D

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Too much stuff, maybe??? ;D ;D

Don't tell my wife!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I sort by venue, Salt, Fresh and Ice....for Ice, I have Plano 24 and 16, sorted by manufacture, size, color and application in the larger box, in the smaller box I have my go to stuff which changes every trip based on production!

There is zero relation to this compulsion and my sock drawer...

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:00 PM »
My saltwater lures are in Plano boxes, fairly well sorted as to type, except for the hundred or so which are still new in the box.  My freshwater tacklebox is a mess, everything just piled in there.  My ice fishing lures aren't much better, a couple small plano boxes.  I fish mostly pannies, and all I need fit in a couple of their smaller units.  Most of what I have (lots of duplicates) stays home.  I really should sort things out better.  I've got a few jigging raps and want to get a couple other walleye lures.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:02 PM »
For ice, I sort by size then by brand. I use the round double sided "Solutions" boxes is separate colors carried in a 6 gal bucket. They have nice small compartments for ice lures. I use a Plano box for terminal tackle, line, and leaders.  Here are the round boxes:  http://www.solutionproducts.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=59/

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I have 8 of these double sided Plano Boxes. I also have some other small boxes. This is just for my Lures and jigs for ice fishing. I have bigger plano boxes for my Summer lures.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Medium-Double-Sided-Organizer/16351085
<===Lefty===

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I use 3700 sized boxes for all my ice tackle. One holds spoons, pimples, and darters. The other holds all my terminal tackle and jigs, I keep the jigs organized with foam pipe insulation split in half and pushed into the compartments. The boxes are big but I can fit everything I need in them and I have a shelf in my Bayrunner that fits 2 stacked nice and snug.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Here's what I do for now...  ;D

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Just redid it yesterday cuz I got too much stuff this off season.

3 "On ice" bags with different sized Plano boxes inside and one more I leave in the truck. I usually only take 2 of the 3 ice bags depending on the fishery and species.

1. Bag with tools, all terminal tackle, leader material, bobbers, venom floats etc. maps for the day. Extra gloves, radio, sunscreen etc. Goes with me every time.
2. Bag with Panfish, trout, and walleye stuff. Jigs, spoons, raps etc.  jigs are all in Rose Creek or Bug Luggage. Raps, spoons and similar are stuck in foam or get there own square.  Minimizes chips, damage,  and rust IMO.  My largest bag but not too heavy.
3. Bag with big spoons, kastys and pimples.  Also lots of tube body's and heavier jigs both standard and insider. Lake Trout gear.  Small but heavy due to all the lead.
4. Stays in the truck with extra everything. Maps I'm not using today. Extra flasher battery.

All different colors so I can tell my 11 year old to fetch the blue one, red one or green one. 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:04 PM »
For ice, I sort by size then by brand. I use the round double sided "Solutions" boxes is separate colors carried in a 6 gal bucket. They have nice small compartments for ice lures. I use a Plano box for terminal tackle, line, and leaders.  Here are the round boxes:  http://www.solutionproducts.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=59/
these look really nice!

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Tackle boxes are supposed to be organized?   ::)  You grab a lure from my buddies tackle box and everything comes out!

And speaking od tackle boxes, we saw a gal who had many facial piercings and the old man asked her is she fell into a tackle box!!!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:25 AM »
For my Soft Plastics I use something called the bookworm. I picked these up two years ago from then and love them. They have two sizes. I also use these for open water for storing my hooks, weights, bobber stops etc etc.

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-tackle-storage/the-book-worm-mini/

I have recently changed my jig boxes over to the Thin Ice Jig boxes from SDI also love them. My tungsten doesn't move around and fall out anymore. Justin  over there showed me how to get some larger jigs into these boxes up to an 8mm. I bought a bunch of the large size the other day and started to load them up.
http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/sdi-thin-ice-jig-box/

Then everything goes into a small bag from Cabela's. For my larger spoons and Raps I just use your standard plano type box but I use the ones from Flambeau with the Zrust stuff. Keeps them from rusting.

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Well after a break in withing 3 weeks of moving to a new house, I finally was able to replace all my ice fishing and archery gear thanks to making a homeowners claim.  Still figuring ways of storing tackle better but for now, this will do.

The blue plano box is two sided.  It holds all my jigging raps (jigging shad/snap raps), bobbers, hooks, snaps, split shots, etc.  I kept that one separate because it will go in the boat with me as well.  I'm missing a picture of my box of slender spoons as well but they hang off the ledge as well.  Some will fall off during transport but the majority of them stay on relieving me of a giant mess when I get to my fishing spot.

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Forgot to resize the images when I uploaded them.  My apologies.

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I just throw everything in an old coffee can, and then put that in either the action packer or one of the 14 5 gallon buckets that seem to end up in my sled every trip...
Tight Lines,

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Here is 5 of my boxes showing both sides of each one as they are double sided.

I have other boxes I need to convert to the double sided ones and I have one other double sided one I am waiting on the jigs I ordered to fill it up.
<===Lefty===

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Lefty, what kind of plastics do you use?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Those are Plano Double sided I got from Walmart. I need a couple more ,I bought out the local store.
This is them.
http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=706
<===Lefty===

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Those are Plano Double sided I got from Walmart. I need a couple more ,I bought out the local store.
This is them.
http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=706

Sorry, I mean plastic bait. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Oh well the big assortment is something Walmart sells. Most of the rest is Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso,Ratfinkee,Shrimpos,Purest and Nuclear Powered Ants. There are some Northland Tackle Slug Bugs and the long White Leech looking things I just got off E-bay. I caught 5 trout dead sticking with those. And there is some Mitty Mites.
<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Yeah I like those white things-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Yeah I like those white things-
They are pretty thin and I am sure any current and when a fish hit them they wiggle even more. Saw them someone else was talking about and had to have some. First trip out they paid off.
<===Lefty===

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Forgot to resize the images when I uploaded them.  My apologies.

(Image removed from quote.)

that is a lot of stuff. If you ever feel like its too much ill always help you out ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I keep all my stuff in my pockets. Whatever sticks to my gloves....I use ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:18 PM »
i have little tackle boxes that fit in the pockets in my ice suit. i organize by who makes it and spoons jig plastics jig heads and rippin raps/jigging raps

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I keep all my stuff in my pockets. Whatever sticks to my gloves....I use ;D

Rg
That is about how much of this stuff I really use. I am on a jig/lure diet. I see them and then I buy them. It is just like my food diet. By the way I got me some Ghirardelli Dark & Raspberry tonight to try out. Oh man that stuff is good.
<===Lefty===

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:19 PM »
I love these jig boxes they have the removeable leaf.  for my spoons and raps they go in Plano boxes.
Fish On'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.