Author Topic: Bait casting reel on ice rod  (Read 15674 times)

Offline thessalaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bait casting reel on ice rod
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:30 PM »
I have been a baitcast user since i was 8.  40 yrs later, and still use it on every rod i own, for every kind of fish.
on the ice I use an ambassadeur 5000, 20 lb sufix or power pro ice braid, with a 2' 20 lb floro leader for lakers, down to 8 lb floro for walleyes.
I could never get use to that pain in the ass bail flipping, little hitches in the reel at the bottom of the jig motion, yada yada yada.
Best of luck!

Offline Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:13 PM »
 Bait caster or fly reels. You can buy what you like & can aford. In the case of using baitcaster or fly reels for ice fishing, You don't need to spend a lot. Your not casting this reel & most fly reels are just for line storage. All fly reels have basiclly the same gear & clicker set-up. Very simple set up. It's all in the spool pick up. I just orderd some of those 2 3/4 " China nylon /plastic fly reels. I already received one &  it's very lite. That's what  I want. With backing I'm trying keep the weight down. A 3 inch diameter reel is plenty. Other then bass or pike I don't even use the drag. I do have drags on these reels. Now open water , thats a little different story

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I switched to baitcast since 2 years ago and sold a lot of my spinning(just keep 4  of my 16)...the only thing i have to do is to take off the greace cause it make some part jam if it's to mutch cold...That's it..and i never had rod problem with bigs fishes because it was  reversed... I've tested(in freewater season) last year a couples of Fishingstuff Rods(it's New) this way, because  they're made in carbon,,and i gave them really bad treatments (sturgeons and muskys also pkies) and even in reverse position...They does the job.... ;)
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.