Author Topic: Bait casting reel on ice rod  (Read 15673 times)

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
Bait casting reel on ice rod
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I was wondering why more ice rod makers don't promote this.  I picked up two reels at 50 bucks a piece and put them on a frankenstien rod and a new st croix med action rod.  I love that line twist is no longer a problem and I can set my reel on the ice and it doesn't get snow on it.  Out spooling is nice as I just set the mag spool setting on low and thumb the lure to depth.  Every turn is 36" so I hit the bottom with my lure a few times, reel two or three times then hit the button and down she goes.  Good presentation.  Anyone else.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Bait casting reel on ice rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:01 PM »
It's mostly has to do with lure weight.  Not many people like to pull line off the spool, but it's no hassle at all.  I pull up more fish with my baitcaster than I have done with my spinning reels.  I jumped into blind.  Many people I considered pro's tell me to not even bother with it, but I had my own ideas.  Now, I'm glad I didn't listen to them.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:46 PM »
I can't cast with a baitcaster to save my life! Rats nest every other time.... So I put mine on a medium heavy rod for lakers and pike with braid..... I LOVE that combo. To bad I broke my pole on my first pike ever with that setup!!!! So I'm looking for a good medium to heavy pole I can replace it with.... Man what a pike too maybe 29 inches but fat as a fox in a chicken coop...

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:00 AM »
I love my Diawa Accudepth Plus 17 LC Bait caster. I have it mounted on the HT Togue MH Series Rod and its spooled with 20 lb Berkley Power Pro Braid. I use 1oz Bucktail Jigs and 3/4 oz Storm Wild Eye Swim Shads. It's my go to set up for big Lakers ! Sorry, couldn't resist throwing in some photos !  ;D

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:22 AM »
I love my Diawa Accudepth Plus 17 LC Bait caster. I have it mounted on the HT Togue MH Series Rod and its spooled with 20 lb Berkley Power Pro Braid. I use 1oz Bucktail Jigs and 3/4 oz Storm Wild Eye Swim Shads. It's my go to set up for big Lakers ! Sorry, couldn't resist throwing in some photos !  ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

Thats a sweet looking setup you got there SL! Not often you see a baitcasting ice rod.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:56 AM »
i too have a baitcaster set-up, the ease of use is great. i use them for lake trout fishing on lake superior. i tried one of the jason mitchell series of rods and i love them (medium-heavy)
da splake chaser

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:01 AM »
I made the switch this year. They definitely make a difference with the line twist.I broke two graphite rods that were made
with the reel seats built in. Too much torque on a short rod when fishing for large trout. I had to settle for fiberglass. I'll
be trying out a fly reel for the first time this weekend.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:09 AM »
I can't cast with a baitcaster to save my life! Rats nest every other time.... So I put mine on a medium heavy rod for lakers and pike with braid..... I LOVE that combo. To bad I broke my pole on my first pike ever with that setup!!!! So I'm looking for a good medium to heavy pole I can replace it with.... Man what a pike too maybe 29 inches but fat as a fox in a chicken coop...

I made the switch this year. They definitely make a difference with the line twist.I broke two graphite rods that were made
with the reel seats built in. Too much torque on a short rod when fishing for large trout. I had to settle for fiberglass. I'll
be trying out a fly reel for the first time this weekend.

Were they baitcasting rods or did you put a baitcast reels on spinning rods?

A spinning rod with a baitcast reel can and will break.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I made the switch to fly reels for my pan fish rods, same basic principle as a bait caster with a clicker. No more line twist or line coils popping off the spool, tangled loops in the line etc. very easy and manageable plus no more drag to freeze up. I should have switched to fly reels a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of grief.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Nice setup and fish. How back from the hole do I have to be when I cast? ;D ;D ;D The depth counter is a good idea.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Not a real good pic but...

Shakespeare Fuel Baitcaster Ice Combo

I have the older version "Cajun Ice Spinning Combo" and have had no problems with it. It's a fiberglass rod; is the most sensitive of all the ones I own and wouldn't hesitate to buy the Fuel, should I be in the market for another...right around $20 for the combo.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:35 AM »
A baitcasting reel on a spinning rod isn't going to break anything.  Only the person who bends the rod beyond it's limit will break the rod.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:52 PM »
A baitcasting reel on a spinning rod isn't going to break anything.  Only the person who bends the rod beyond it's limit will break the rod.

Keep in mind many higher end rods have a "spine" on them. This is determined when the rod is being made using a special devise. So if you use s spinning rod with a baitcaster, you do risk damaging or breaking to rod since you are bending it in the opposite direction for which it was made. Kinda like bending yourself backwards, ouch! Another thing to keep in mind, the guides are not designed for that purpose, so the rod could be torqued and twisted, thus causing damage or breakage. They do make all kinds of ice rods for baitcasters, not just heavy ones either. They make baitcasting ice rods for panfish even.

Myself I have made the leap to fly reels for ice rods ... I like many others who have made the switch wonders why I didn't do that a long time ago. Hard headed ... maybe, but I get it eventually!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:40 PM »
   If you have any of the older baitcasters that have the clicker button you can set it so when a fish hits it will zzzzzing! It is nice for a shack or deadrod because of the noise feature. You can loosen the drag and let the bait freeline to the bottom if you so desire and thumb the line for drag control also.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Keep in mind many higher end rods have a "spine" on them. This is determined when the rod is being made using a special devise. So if you use s spinning rod with a baitcaster, you do risk damaging or breaking to rod since you are bending it in the opposite direction for which it was made. Kinda like bending yourself backwards, ouch! Another thing to keep in mind, the guides are not designed for that purpose, so the rod could be torqued and twisted, thus causing damage or breakage.

Thank you!

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Mine are both bait cast rod setups.  The handles even have the nice trigger finger.  I wonder how far I could cast with one.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Keep in mind many higher end rods have a "spine" on them. This is determined when the rod is being made using a special devise. So if you use s spinning rod with a baitcaster, you do risk damaging or breaking to rod since you are bending it in the opposite direction for which it was made. Kinda like bending yourself backwards, ouch! Another thing to keep in mind, the guides are not designed for that purpose, so the rod could be torqued and twisted, thus causing damage or breakage. They do make all kinds of ice rods for baitcasters, not just heavy ones either. They make baitcasting ice rods for panfish even.

Myself I have made the leap to fly reels for ice rods ... I like many others who have made the switch wonders why I didn't do that a long time ago. Hard headed ... maybe, but I get it eventually!
Why fly reels? I always thought you would want more cranking power

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:18 PM »

Actually a fly reel is 1:1 ratio ... can't get more power than that! A spinning reel has typically a 5:1 gear ratio and are not near the power you can get from a spinning reel, or even a baitcaster for that matter. Power is not the reason I use one, but the reasons are many:
1. No line twist (spinning reels are notorious line twisters)
2. No line twist = no spinning jigs
3. No bail to break or bend.
4. No roller to get iced up.
5. VERY smooth drag, that doesn't ice up or stick.
6. Extreme sensitivity, way more than a baitcaster or spinning reel.
7. More power.
8. Less weight.
9. Simple design = less things to go wrong.
10. Palmable drag for subduing or stopping fish, without adjusting drag setting.

And one last reason: FUN AS HELL!!! ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:29 PM »
The same people that sell the Sonic Ice Hopper sells a baitcaster just for icefishing. They even have light baitcasting rods complete with fiber-optic spring bobbers. I believe some heavier rods even have spiral wrapped guides to eliminate rod torque/twisting. The lighter panfish baitcasting rods are straight guides with a spring bobber.

Just do a Google search for:
S p o r t s m a n s D i r e c t . c o m
(sorry link not allowed)

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Now would i need a high end fly reel or just an average joe? And what type of rod do you use?

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Now would i need a high end fly reel or just an average joe? And what type of rod do you use?

That all depends on you. Everybody is different on that issue. I'm not your average weekend fisherman, I buy the best equipment I can afford. Fishing for me is more like a way of life than just a hobby, so it's worth it to me to buy the very best. I have learned that you really do get what you pay for.

With that said, I use two Okuma SLV reels, both are mounted on Thorne Bros. Rods ... the best ice combos I have ever used, hands down. I just bought another Thorne Bros rod and another fly reel. The rods go for around $80 each, and the reels are around $60. You can get a fly reel cheap, depends on your "standards" I guess. One thing is for sure, I absolutely LOVE these combos.

Here's a thread I started on the subject:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=181458.0

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Mine are both bait cast rod setups.  The handles even have the nice trigger finger.  I wonder how far I could cast with one.
With a 1 oz bucktail jig, if the spool drag is set right, over 80 yards ! If knot, Well over 100 yards, but its Wicked tough to find them jigs afterwards !!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:09 PM »

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:05 PM »

I'm aware you're speaking in a very small percentage and don't disagree along those lines.  Unfortunately the majority of the ice rods for spinning reels have no spine to make any difference and will still take a baitcasting reel just fine.  Many high end rods are built by preference on the spine or reverse spine as per custom request.  No difference in which way the spine is bent.  Even less important for building on a spine on mass produced ice rods.  So that's a moot point.

The very same torque you perceive from a spinning rod is no difference from the same baitcasting rod set up with the line guides on top.  Those small line guides towards the tip, basically same line guides.  In fact if you're torque'ing your rod, you've overpowered your rod.  The shorter the rod, the less room for torque stress to be spread along the blank fibers.  Or you will only get that, if you're underpowered in rod.  I never pull my rods beyond 90 degree, so it's still the individual who over torques the rod to breakage, never the rod alone.

I've put baitcasting reels on all my spinning ice rods (Cajun/Fuel ice rods, St.Croix Premeire rods, Ugly stick rods, TB Panfish/Perch Sweathearts, TB Deadstick, JM 38" Ice)  with no problems before I've got Thorne Bros. to custom make me a baitcasting Walleye Sweethearts ice rod.  Real world application - no problems except for cost. ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:21 PM »

You will get the most torque power with a 1:1 gear reation.  Kind why lower gear baitcasting reels have more torque/winchibng power for deep cranking.  In fact the amount of line you have on the spool of the fly reel will differ in terms of power.  Power is about leverage.  The point of leverage is at the handle, which is probably beyond the point of which the line comes off your spool.  So you may actually have something like 120 percent more power with the fly reel if the spooled line radius is only about 80 percent to the handle radious.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Were they baitcasting rods or did you put a baitcast reels on spinning rods?

A spinning rod with a baitcast reel can and will break.
The rod I was using was a custom made bait caster but only 24" long.There is just not enough give between the handle and reel
seat to handle large trout,as compared to a fiberglass of the same length. I caught a 7lb. 25" rainbow on it only too break it setting the
hook on a 16" rainbow later that day.I've caught numerous large trout including another 7lb. rainbow on a 24" Sweet heart perch rod.It
flexes different because the handle is shorter.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:44 AM »
 From Goatskin "Now would i need a high end fly reel or just an average joe? And what type of rod do you use?"

I bought a real nice fly reel for ice fishing off of ebay for $32 with shipping. I am going to buy another one soon. I have seen fly reels as low as $12 but haven't tried them yet. Just go to ebay and type in fly reel they have a lot to choose from. I bought the Fishon Bear Cub ultra light, the rod is a Dave Genz True Blue DGTB24UL 24" Ultra Light.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I have seen the Okuma SLV 2/3 and 4/5 on Ebay for $49 shipped. That what I bought, and I just ordered a Fenwick Nighthawk 3/5 from Amazon for $60

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:23 PM »
how much backer are you using and how much actual line?

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:40 PM »
how much backer are you using and how much actual line?

Not much line needed, but I have a one shot spool of 3# Sufix Magic Ice on both. The backing is just Dacron filled just under the spool lip. A fish would have to run all the way to the other end of the lake and back again (x6) to spool me! No, seriously I do recommend filling the spool all the way to achieve maximum retrieval per crank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.