Author Topic: Review of Nils Master Hand Augers- Overpriced & Bad Customer Service  (Read 15475 times)

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
Does anybody know where to get one?  The normal places I would look are out of stock, or the price has jumped astronomical...  I would send it in for sharpening if it hadn't gotten squashed... it's no longer round like it should be...  Fish307 is out of stock, and one other place is out that comes up when you google... I have been looking for a couple weeks, I have a birthday coming up and my mom asked what I wanted..  I like my strikemaster hand auger, it has never let me down, but my arms and back don't agree....  If I have to pay 80.00 for the head, I might as well throw in the other 20 and buy a brand new one..  I was seeing them for $50 before the season started.... Were did they all go?  Thanks for the help.... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
Re: Nils Master Hand Auger Replacement Heads...Question??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:15 AM »
Bummer, I just checked the places I would have gotten mine and they are out as well. How squashed is yours? I brought one of mine to a local sharpener and he was able to straighten it out and sharpen it, it looks terrible but it makes really nice holes in the ice. It cost me $12.
Good luck and happy birthday
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Might want to try Marine General in Duluth.  When I was passing through there a month or so ago, it looked like they still had some heads.  Can't remember the costs however.
Chris Raymond

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Go Direct

JP Ruticon is who you need to speak with .

Nils Master USA
1150 Airport Dr. Suite 103
Burlington , Vermont

1-802-658-1070

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:34 AM »
Does anybody know where to get one?  The normal places I would look are out of stock, or the price has jumped astronomical...  I would send it in for sharpening if it hadn't gotten squashed... it's no longer round like it should be...  Fish307 is out of stock, and one other place is out that comes up when you google... I have been looking for a couple weeks, I have a birthday coming up and my mom asked what I wanted..  I like my strikemaster hand auger, it has never let me down, but my arms and back don't agree....  If I have to pay 80.00 for the head, I might as well throw in the other 20 and buy a brand new one..  I was seeing them for $50 before the season started.... Were did they all go?  Thanks for the help.... ;D
I got mine through Cabela's. Too bad you weren't closer to the Scarborough store so you could get it shipped free to store.
Steve

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:42 AM »
Wow, crap out of luck!! I just did a quick search and can't find one either. Sorry LHM!!
Steve

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Try Red Rock Wilderness Store. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I was kinda thinking I would have to go direct...  I checked with Cabela's I used to live 10 minutes from the store, they didn't carry the heads, they had the whole auger,  the head is squashed enough where the edges of the blades only touch the surface on the very inside of the blade and the outside edge is up at least an inch, definately would take some careful tugging if it could be done at all...  I will shoot an email to the company and see what he has to say...  I'll let you guys know, thanks for the help.... ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I asked you all for some help getting a replacement head for a Nils Master Hand Auger, and was given the email address for the company... So I sent an email to JP, and this is the information that I recieved...  You will have to scroll all the way down and then read up, I copy and pasted the last email and it has the email messages that were sent back and forth...  I figured that I would share my experience with Nilsmaster, I know that a lot of you guys have them, and thought you may like to know what kind of customer service and prices you can expect...  In my opinion, the augers are overpriced, the cut good for one season and then you either have to send the head out to get sharpened or buy a new one... at close to $90 with shipping for a new head.. I have realized that my Strikemaster Hand Auger is the best auger and deal out there for hand augers, and their customer service is top-notch,  I lost my wing bolt during my first year and was sent a new one for the cost of shipping..  I expected a lot more from this company with the reputation the augers have but I would never buy another, or recommend to someone else...

______________________ ______________________ ________________
JP,

Thanks for the info, but I think I am gonna put it on Craigslist in the free section. and just give it away....Replacement blades should not cost that much, in my opinion, especially on such a sensitive cutting head, like is found on your augers.  I can see paying $50 for it, but $70 plus shipping is a little much, like I said I can buy a brand new one for $99 plus tax. but after hearing this I definately won't.  My bait dealer bought a few when they were on sale at Cabela's 2 years ago.  I have watched the price of your augers increase over the last few years as they got more popular,  with that being said, I think I will stick with my Stikemaster and spend $25 for an off-set handle, $20 for a back-up set of blades, and the remaining $5 on a back-up wing bolt, and it will cut just as good as your augers do after a couple holes.  The offset handle is what made your product better than the rest, but now the other manufactures are making their augers this way now.  I could buy 2 Strikemaster Hand Augers for $160, or $80 a piece.  Greed is a bad thing in the fishing industry, and in my experience, the Greedy ones don't last. Also customer service will get you a long way with fisherman too, and from the short to the point messages, after I took the time to explain my situation, shows how much you care about your customers. You definately lost a customer now and I will be sure to share my experience with your augers with all of my fishing buddies,  all 10,000+ of them.  I guess Satisfaction Guarenteed doesn't apply to your products or company.  Good Luck.

Michael "Lefty" Trask

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Michael Trask <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 8:58:37 PM
Subject: RE: 8" Hand Auger Replacement Heads

The 8" auger retail cost is $149.95. $69.00 does not include shipping. You may place your order with us monday 802-658-1070.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:25 AM
To: JP Raatikainen <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 8" Hand Auger Replacement Heads

Hey JP,
Thanks for getting back to me.  They were $50 at the beginning of the season, why such an increase?,  I can buy a brand new 8" Nils for $99 thru a local bait shop, so paying $69 seems a little much.  Does the $69 include shipping or is that extra?  Thanks for info, and where do I contact to place the order? do I call? email you?  Thanks again for your time.

Michael "Lefty" Trask

To: Michael Trask <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 7:58:52 PM
Subject: RE: 8" Hand Auger Replacement Heads

Replacement cutting head for 8" hand auger $69.00 we accept visa/mc.
jp

Hello,

My name is Michael Trask, I have been looking for a replacement head for my 8" nils master hand auger, I have been searching the net and ebay to no avail.   Fish307 had some earlier in the season, but it seems they are out of stock now...  I thought about sending it for sharpening but the head got squashed somewhat while riding in the back of a buddy's truck...  I let him borrow it, and then he set his heavy jet sled on top of it, packing up his truck for a trip and now it won't cut...  The price for the head also seemed to have increased, but the one that was advertised had the center point and I thought those were for the Power Auger version...  Can I buy these direct from you?    If so, what is the price on that?    I'm sure you are probably familiar with Iceshanty.com,  members on there gave me the email address to get in contact with you..  Your augers are one of the favorites among the members there with a ton of good things being said..  especially when paired with the Icegator...  best combo for an auger out there in my opinion..  Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you...  Hopefully I can get back to using it this season... been looking for a month for a replacement head and haven't been able to find one.  Thanks again.  Michael Trask

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ _

As you can see, he didn't even take the time to be cordial....  Nils Master Augers are very sensitive, you basically have to baby them whenever you take them out, and make sure you keep the cover on... one drop and you will be looking at sending your blade out for sharpening, hit a rock and you will be with out an auger for a while, because it's not like you can just go out and buy a new head for them..  as of late, you can only buy them direct, and if you expect service with a smile, good luck...  I have had my Strikemaster Hand Auger since 2006, I am on my 3rd set of blades, the 2 sets I have had to buy cost me less than $50, they carry a off-set handle to replace the mushroom topped version, to make it similar to how the Nils operates...  I can throw it down and it will still cut the same..    I am extremely disappointed with NilsMaster after hearing so many good things here about them, and thought I would let you guys all know..  Thanks for letting me vent... 

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
How disappointing.  Greed IS a bad thing and Nils seems to have a bad case of it.  Good luck.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Seems to me your buddy should be buying you a new auger. Very dissapointing to hear about their customer service. I have a 6", hope I don't need to go through them for anything. By local bait store has the 6" heads for 44$. Good luck. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the detailed info & emails.  I sure will be steering clear of Nils.. a pity too, was kinda getting excited to add one to the arsenal. 
Pool 9 Pro

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry about your dilemma, I have been using my Nils 4 1/2 for 3 years and using  a least 4 times a week and never had a problem still cuts like new my buddies have all traded in there Strikemasters for a Nils as far as customer service I don't know as I have never had a problem with them good luck

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I love mine and my spare head cost me $68 for my 8". I only use the power head though, not much use for me to use a hand auger. I do know my 8" Nils will out drill a 5" Lazer run by hand easily. We get 20-30" of ice  every year for that 1-2 weekends I could use a hand auger it's not worth the time swapping the head for the handle. IMO all todays products are over priced. We pay thats why they charge what they do. Look at the new Vex's they charge $500 for something with a 50th sticker on it and a few cheezy add ons for a unit thats been outdated for 10-15 years.

JJ

I don't see any greed here, it's plain Economics: SUPPLY & DEMAND. ;)

Trooper Bri

So you somehow bent a Nils head? How did you manage to achieve that? Obviously Nils heads don't bend themselves.

And yes, you should treat the head of any auger like a baby. It's a tool that requires care. I certainly wouldn't toss one of my micrometers or dial calipers on a table, then complain when they are out of calibration.
I know many people who have gotten a good 4 or 5 seasons out of a Nils head with zero issues so far. I've owned 3 (still own 2) and never had a complaint with them.

Agreed with CAPTJJ. It's supply and demand this late in the season. You can try IceShanty sponsor Connecticut Outfitters. They may have still have Nils heads in stock. They still had a slew of Nils stuff a month ago.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I could buy the head for $50 at the beginning of the season... so in 2 months time the price has increased $20 and that was with free shipping,  I should have bought it then I guess... 

If you took the time to read what I wrote, then you would know I didn't bend the head a buddy did on accident by placing a heavy jet sled on top of it. the head is more oval than round now and the blades don't touch all the way across the cutting edges.. 

As far as supply and demand, there is no supply, so they think they can demand $70 for replacement blades, that's rediculous. when there was a supply they were $50..  I know I could keep up with a Nils with my strikemaster with the off-set handle assembly..and I don't need to baby it at all, and it will still cut the next time I want to use it..I regularly toss it on the ice after I cut a hole, to grab my scoop to clean my hole out.  I have seen first hand how delicate the blades on a Nils are... 

Some of you had good experiences and that's fine..  I just think it overpriced and the customer service could use some work, and thought I would share that fact with the rest of you guys.   I think it's greedy to increase your price on a product that hasn't changed in years, and I am sure it doesn't cost him any more to make them then it did a few months ago.  The demand for them has increased so he jacked the price... that's greed...  he could keep it the same and probably sell more..  but from the looks of the availability he can't keep up with the demand...  NilsMaster Hand Ice Augers are not worth the money in my opinion, and if we keep paying what they say to pay we'll all be broke someday..  Inflation is greed.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not good to hear, I have an 8" hand model, and it kind of ticks me off, that a Nils sales rep, or whatever he is, would give out a single sentence answer like that to a customer.

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
i love this information!!! i was going to buy one in the off season for first ice next year when my power auger isnt needed. I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE NOW!!!  i believe customer service is what makes a company. Jiffy has great customer service and frabill is TOP NOTCH!!

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster has great customer service. I had a cheap set of chines blades on my Mora and they replaced them with blades made in Sweden for free no cost to ship them even. The auger cuts so much faster now and holds an edge even longer. Definitely will do business with them again. I didn't know they had offset handles for their hand augers I'll have to check them out.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Left-handed -
Send me a PM.  I'm interested in the "blue" part and hand crank of your Nils
if you are willing to sell/ship them.
MD

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
though i have no experience w/Nils, i will say that i make my purchases bases on others experience w/ customer service.  If i need to rely on a company to fix, repair, whatever (like i did with strikemaster...they were excellent!) i want to know the company is going to stand behind their product.  There are several great examples of every piece of equiptment out there, and the ones that are backed by great customer service are the ones that get my business. 

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
I don't like hearing about poor customer service but I must say after buying and using a 8in. nils for the first time this year and drilling many holes, not to mention the holes friends drilled with it, and after using a mora for years this auger is worth every penny.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Try the FinboreIII. They cut just as fast as any auger on the market, including the Nils master. Replacement blades are also cheaper because they don't have a head assembly.
As for the Nils company themselves, they're trying to make money in a faltering economy just like everyone else. They knew what they were doing when they came up with that silly head.
I have always treated my augers like a baby. Trooper Bri hit the nail on the head. Some may take it better than others but that's beside the point. And yes, homeboy should be going through all of this, not you!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No matter what company you'll find a few that are unhappy. To make a judgement on a product due to one review is pretty shallow. If this was the case we wouldn't own anything made today, all get a bad rap from someone.

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
So you somehow bent a Nils head? How did you manage to achieve that? Obviously Nils heads don't bend themselves.

And yes, you should treat the head of any auger like a baby. It's a tool that requires care. I certainly wouldn't toss one of my micrometers or dial calipers on a table, then complain when they are out of calibration.
I know many people who have gotten a good 4 or 5 seasons out of a Nils head with zero issues so far. I've owned 3 (still own 2) and never had a complaint with them.

Agreed with CAPTJJ. It's supply and demand this late in the season. You can try IceShanty sponsor Connecticut Outfitters. They may have still have Nils heads in stock. They still had a slew of Nils stuff a month ago.

just wondering and not starting anything ..... but if you have owend 3????? they must not be that good. ::) i have had my same hand auger for over 10 years (mora) and just replace the blades about every 3 yrs. for 23 bucks! yes i only use it early season now, but last year and all the years before it was my only auger. so something MUST be wrong with the head on the nils. Also this is not the first time i have heard bad things about the nils company or product service. I have said it before ......happy customers = good rep.

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I recieved another email from Nils:

RE: 8" Hand Auger Replacement Heads
To: Michael Trask <[email protected]

Just a quick question. Why do you feel that you have to replace the cutting head when it can be sharpened to like new condition for a fraction of a cost of a new cutting head?

Here is my response:
Well if you took the time to read my first email, then you would know why I need a new cutting head..  A buddy of mine, put the auger in his truck then set his heavy jet sled on top of it, and now the cutting head is more oval than round...  the cutting edges on the blades don't completely touch anymore, so if that can be sharpened out that's cool. It doesn't even fit in the blade cover correctly anymore because of it's condition.   Who would I send it too?  There really isn't a lot of information on your website as to where to get this done,  trust me I liked the way it cut, but if I have to pay almost what I paid for it orignially, for a new head, I'll give it away...  I bought it from Cabela's for $99 with free shipping, 2 years ago...  So that is why I thought I needed a new head for it,  can I send it to you to find out?   I wrote asking for help and you were pretty short with your responses.  Customer Service goes a long with me, willingness to help a customer out is a big part of it...  I thought I explained my situation pretty well in my first email....  I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully I can use my Nils Auger again someday.

Again thank you for your time, hopefully we get this resolved in a reasonable manner and cost..

Michael "Lefty" Trask

______________________ ______________________ _
I realize I sound a little harsh in my first statement,  I was fustrated with the situation and took his response as condesending, like I didn't know I could sharpen it.   I also wrote Strikemaster an email asking a question about the availability of a couple of their items that were out of stock on their website, they didn't answer my question yet, but they did send me an email..  I am posting it here, just to show how they respond to their customers, compared to Nils...

Thank you for your email
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>View Contact
To: [email protected] 

Thank you for contacting StrikeMaster.  Your email is very important to us.  Due to the high volume of emails, please allow up to 4 business days for a response.  If you require immediate assistance please call 763-263-8999 and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

StrikeMaster
17217 - 198th Ave.
Big Lake, MN  55309
763-263-8999 phone
763-263-8986 fax
Hours: M - F  8am - 4:30pm

Without customers no business will make it, happy customers breed new business for a company.  That's what I have learned, in my years of working.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have six strikemaster augers, three (5inch-two sons)) one each (6,7,8, inch)and then i purchased the 4.5 inch nils. Haven't been happier. Now the strikemaster are excellent augers, but just not in the class of the nils, .The person that started this thread is of the same opinion.but not willing to admit it. I found the companies response to be very business like. Bottom line there was excessive damage done to the head of the auger, out of neglect.First and formost neglect of the fisherman to loan out his nils auger in the first place. Secondly by the supposed friend that damaged it, then didn't replace the auger. This is where the authors problem lies. The company offered a replacement for the associated cost. Apparently the author of this thread felt Nils carries stupidity insurance for those that damage their products with neglect. If in fact a friend damaged his auger ,it would be the friends obligation to replace the head.
   So, to the many that actually believed that the nils customer service was poor, I find that to be ridiculous. By the way, the fact that you can't locate a nils auger to buy, says all you need to know about the augers. Apparently the proud owners of nils, had no problem with the asking price.
  I only allow  my sons to use the nils when they are with me, other times they can take any or all the strikemasters.
  To try to use this medium to cast false doubts upon a major manufacture of a product that many members appreciate for its ability to cut ice fast and effortlessly is so unjust.  Ice fisherman are a special breed, putting up with mother natures elements through out the winter. Time to man up.Address your problem, with your so called friend.

PS. If you think the 6 strikemasters is over kill, I have approximately 30 rod and reels combos for bass fishing(st criox,falcon,Kistlers,shimano curdo;s etc). And more tackle than most tackle stores. Its a bad habit but at least I have the know with all to purchase top of the line equipment. And I'm set for years to come.

Proud owner of Nils
                                                            John M

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
Everyone is keeping inventory low because of the economy.  Seasonal gear always runs low at the end of the season anyway esp something so rarely needed as a Nils cutting head. Despite your anger over the $20 price increase and displeasure that Nils did not stroke you, they did respond and the part was available.

I agree that the customer service at Nils is minimal.  I think that's because it is rarely needed.  The way to go is to buy a back up head early in the season and send out dull or damaged heads when needed.

I won't have another brand of auger than the Nils and I have used the others.  It is in a different class all together than the competition.  The cutting head will outlast the others if it is treated with respect.  It only cost more to run if you don't protect the cutting head which can be replaced of course.

. If you like to leave the cover off your tool and just drop it on the ice or think you can loan  it out  or if you can't afford it then then DON'T BUY THE NILS.    If you want the best tool then Nils is for you

Offline wetboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
PS. If you think the 6 strikemasters is over kill, I have approximately 30 rod and reels combos for bass fishing(st criox,falcon,Kistlers,shimano curdo;s etc). And more tackle than most tackle stores. Its a bad habit but at least I have the know with all to purchase top of the line equipment. And I'm set for years to come.

Proud owner of Nils
                                                            John M
Not A bad habit at all just an addiction, Do what what you love and love what you do.  Will have A nils next season hopefully. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.