Author Topic: Best snowmobile for ice fishing  (Read 14098 times)

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best snowmobile for ice fishing
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:32 AM »
What would be your choice for the best snowmobile for ice fishing? My parameters are a 1995-2002 model. $500 to $1500. Reverse. Light weight. Will handle trail or powder conditions. Dependable. Serviceable. What do you drive? Seems to be a lot of snowmobiles for sale here in Northern Wisconsin!  Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
Re: Best snowmobile for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I use a 96 Vmax.  It's a 2 up sled with reverese and electric start.  very reliable, very servicable.  Not very light weight, though.  I also have a 1988 Yamaha Bravo 250 that is awesome for towing light loads.  If it gets stuck, it's super light and easy to un-stick.  Fun little sled for the ice but not much fun on the trails.

Everything is a trade-off.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Ski-doo Tundra or Yamaha Bravo. Both are light weight and last forever. I am going to try to pick up a Tundra for ice fishing myself. :tipup:

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Ski-doo Tundra or Yamaha Bravo. Both are light weight and last forever. I am going to try to pick up a Tundra for ice fishing myself. :tipup:

Yup, I'm looking for a Tundra myself.

timberdoodle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Any long track....Bearcat, tundra, safarii, I had a 98 panther for a while that I really likes...but the ski-doo's are great long lasting sleds.

Offline DaveRT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Long track and studs are the only thing that works reliably to tow a big load up and down the lakes.  25 years going up and down the Allagash Waterway here in Maine. I carry eveything with me and go fish anywhere I can take a sled.
"Give a man a fish to feed him for a day. Teach him to ice fish and he will spend all his time ice fishing and spend all his money on gear and beer."

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:35 AM »
If you want the ultimate in a ice fishing snowmobile it would be a ski doo Skandic. This machine is NOT lightweight. It will pull 2 large adults with a fully loaded sled behind it through a foot of slush and never look back. It will pull a 800 lb. shack and never grunt. It will pull period. Virtually impossible to get stuck. Do not stud the track, ice racing picks work much better and install alot easier. Want to go where others can't. This is the ultimate machine, Hands down.

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:40 AM »
A ski doo tundra here Northern wisconsin seems to be the best bet.  I have a 1989 Ski doo safari.  I love it for ice fishing. 

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I personally use a Polaris indy 500. Pulls my 200 lbs shack with ease. Sips fuel, weighs about 500lb. You can find long tracks in this model also.

Should be able to find one easily in the oneida/vilas county area. ;D

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:02 AM »
What ever you can pick up for the cheapest so long as it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.