The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: As the Username suggests, green as green  (Read 1084 times)

Offline TotalNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
As the Username suggests, green as green
« on: Dec 02, 2022, 07:41 PM »
See username for the jist,
Heard about this forum after joining 406 icefishing page on the ol' FB, Ive never ice fished a second in my lift (Native to Western Wa, Plz dont hold it against me) but lived in the area for 2.5 years. My sons are getting to the age where we can be outside for a bit and they've shown plenty of interest in fishing, so figure would give this a shot. Def going to try and make the clinic at Frenchtown pond this year (didnt hear about it in time last year). So you'll see me lurking and researching/studying/learning. I apologize for any no-brainer questions ahead of time, but promise to not make the same mistake twice. Anyways, to wrap up this Ramble, looking forward to learning and start ice fishing, getting my boys outside and involved more, and hopefully maybe eventually seeing some of you out on the ice
Cheers!

(Located in Bitterroot)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
Re: As the Username suggests, green as green
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2022, 09:50 PM »
Welcome  :icefish:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2022, 10:23 PM »
Got questions…. Ask away…but be forewarned this isn’t FB where people thrive on ruining lakes. Use the search function and dm people if you can’t find a specific answer. Looking forward to seeing you at the kids clinic. It’s a blast!!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2022, 11:53 AM »
I just can’t help to say being a native Montanan of many generation and seeing “406 ice fishing on Facebook” makes me upset I’m so many ways. I can’t stand that crap

Offline Robeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2022, 02:24 PM »
Good luck to ya and welcome.

Offline TotalNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2022, 11:46 PM »
I just can’t help to say being a native Montanan of many generation and seeing “406 ice fishing on Facebook” makes me upset I’m so many ways. I can’t stand that crap
Well I’m not here to rock the boat, ruin anyone’s spot or ask for handouts, I’m just trying to absorb all I can via multiple ways. I get why multi-generation Montanans are hesitant, but not all of us are bad. I can respect your position though

oldschoolben

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:48 AM »
What species  are you wanting ti target? It's a drive from the root to find good ice ,

Offline TotalNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:29 PM »
What species  are you wanting ti target? It's a drive from the root to find good ice ,

I’m game for about anything, the main thing currently would likely be just getting bites to keep the kids attention, I just enjoy being out for the most part, don’t need to set any records or necessarily catch dinner, maybe eventually but right now just trying to get the feel for it

Offline GrizzFire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Welcome! If you have some questions around the Missoula area, send me a PM. Makes me smile to hear someone getting the kids out, my father took me starting when I was 4 and loved it ever since

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2022, 02:27 PM »
You should bring your kids to the Clinic at Frenchtown Pond at the end of January.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:17 PM »
as said, bring them to the kids clinic at Frenchtown Pond ,no special gear needed.
FP1

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Take them perch fishing.  Lots of lakes close to Missoula with perch

Offline eickmt35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Welcome to the site, I live in hamilton area i usually catch some fish in como pretty consistently, took my 3 year old son out last weekend and he had a blast catching trout from the jawjacker. Nothing huge but mostly 10-14 inch fish but there is some big ones in there. ice was sketchy by the shore line but about five inches where we were at on the boat launch side.  Any questions just ask away!
Your Flag's Up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.