The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flaming Gorge First timer  (Read 741 times)

Offline Ctrebby

• IceShanty Rookie
Flaming Gorge First timer
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:58 PM »
A friend and I are planning on taking our first trip to Flaming Gorge in a few weeks (Jan26-28th) in a effort to take advantage of the liberal limit on laker pups and to try and put some burbot in the freezer too.  If the weather cooperates our dads are each planning on meeting us there (one from MN and one from UT) so it should be a good trip. 

Ive done all the online research I can find, but none of us have fished there before so a little local knowledge would greatly be appreciated.  If anyone has any pointers where to start out it would be a great help.

I also have a few equipments questions.  I have a camper and Im wondering if its worth pulling down there or not.  I have read some of the places are pretty tough to get into with a truck let alone towing a camper.  is it worth pulling down there or is it just easier to stay up in Rock Springs or Green River?  Also, I have an ATV and a sled for gear, do most people just walk out or is it worth bringing the ATV (ice dependent I know) to held get a little elbow room from the crowds?

If you have information that you don't want to share publicly, please shoot me an PM.

Thanks in advance everyone. 

Offline Wyo82939

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flaming Gorge First timer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:34 AM »
As of right now, you are able to take a camper to most all places you could take one during the summer. Lost Dog is a great area for pups and burbot but you will be amongst others, but should still have plenty of room. ATV should be fine as long as ice does not deteriorate any more. As always tho. check it first. As long as there is no more snow accumulated, you would be able to get a camper down to there just fine.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
Re: Flaming Gorge First timer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Just got back. Check ice conditions before you put any wheelers on. Camper is great you can pull it to most everywhere that has a boat ramp. No snow, clear ice. Buckboard was producing pups and burbot for us. Buckboard Marina has rooms available. Not that expensive and Tony can point you to the right direction. It beats driving back every night. All room have kitchens and showers. Bad most rooms just have one bed, Queen and a futon. But they rent out quickly. Burbot bash is this coming weekend. So I don't know what the availability also in town as well. As for gear. Rocksprings and Greenriver is picked through hard. Heck there is like nothing. Tony at buckboard marina had the only inventory we could find for burbot. There is a small sporting good store in Greenriver next to ACE but he like open M-F 9-5 so unless your late or going to have a lazy morning hard to get in. He has some gear.  My main pup jig ended up being a flutter fish PK. No tube? as for the burbot. I was able to make a order with 307 custom tackle before we left. He make grubs and crawdads and tubs and hermits. Very well done. and I'm impressed with the glow quality. Burbot loved them.  Ice conditions canyon ferry and north had ice. Farther north you go the better ice conditions. Good luck
No one left behind.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.