Author Topic: Ratso success  (Read 4247 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Ratso success
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Hey guys,

Have never used these but heard there killer. Was wondering what colors and sizes to get. Any imput on using them also would be great too. Thanks in advance.

-Evan

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ratso success
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2005, 01:20 PM »
Bump... I know fatboy you know alot about them. care to share some things?

-Evan

Offline Kanes33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Hey,

ahhhhh yes, Ratso!  Ive been having alot of success with these.  Got a pack of the glow in the dark light green , just to try. The crappies loved it, one right after another on the ratso when they wouldnt touch a waxie. 

I went to Gander and  bought more light green tails, also got some blues and blacks.
The blues have got some action, nothing on the blacks.

thumbs up on the ratso!

good luck, Kane

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:19 PM »
If there was only 1 lure I could use for icefishing, it would be the ratso. I catch 5 lb. rainbows, jumbo perch, smaller pike, and 14" slab crappies all on the same lure. My very favorite color is the blue glow. Tipping them with a waxworm or a maggot is a must. Jig them with fairly slow, 6"-1ft. hops and long pauses. Short little jiggles during the pause also helps trigger fish. Fish just love them!!!!!!!!!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:31 PM »
The ratsos and their vertical brother, the shrimpo, are great lures for almost all ice fishing. For panfish like perch, crappie, and bluegill, try the number 6 tipped with a small waxy or spike. If they want a smaller lure, the number 10 is great. For colors, I like blue glow, pink glow, chartreuse, orange, and white.
Trout love them as well. They imitate anything from nymphs, minnows, to freshwater shrimp. Just dance them a little bit to get the tail going. Usually fish take on the pause. I usually lift them about 6", then pause 5 seconds, then jiggle it gently for about 5 seconds, then about a 10 - 15 second or more pause, followed by another subtle lift. Sometimes slowly lifting up while jiggling is killer. They need only subtle moves, they are a subtle lure. Probably the best lure around when you see plenty of fish on the sonar. Tipping with a small bait doesn't hurt the action and really is neccessary.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:28 AM »
I guess I haven't had much sucess with them, but I haven't tried them an awful lot, maybe 3 times.  I must just be doing something wrong!  Although, I've always been fairly partial to demons & teardrop, especially for craps.  Everyone has their favorite lures!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:09 AM »
Well i ordered a whole bunch sunday, 2.13 and can't wait to get them, hopefulyy by this weekend so i can try them out.  EDIT: I'll report back on how they do.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2005, 10:25 AM »
you can't go wrong with ratso's and shrimpos...most of the time you dont even need to tip them with bait.

Fishmon

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:13 AM »
The ratso and shrimpo work great for just about anything.  I use them when fishing for crappies or perch and find that the Chartruse glow versions work great. Also discovered larger shrimpo worked great for rainbows with a piece of a night crawler or fathead minnow.  Hang on if the rainbow hits when you are expecting a perch!  Most rainbows hits are from just under to 10 feet down under ice.  Crappies are all over and perch near bottom most of the time.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Yep your right fishmon, those bows love em. They suspend usually at the 8 - 12 foot level in about 16 - 20 feet of water here in my favorite lake. Tip them with a very small piece of crawler or a waxie, and they are probably the best lure at getting strikes from trout. I like the number six in the blue glow for trout.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Well,

Have only used them a handful of times for perch recently and nothing doing. Gonna try them tonight hopefully where some crappie I know are stacked up. I'm sure they'll hit as these crappies will almost hit anything but still another lure that i'll have in my arsenal. Least the marmooskas I got too recently work excellent. and are hard to switch off.
-Evan

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Ratso's and Shrimpos are great jigs for Crappie,Gills and Trout.I like White/Glow for color.Nuke Ants in Red are also great on gills due to they fall slower.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Orange retso finkie has treated me very good the past 2 years. Excellent on perch & gills.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.