Author Topic: Fishing SD - Resident Perspective  (Read 2318 times)

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing SD - Resident Perspective
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Been a member here for awhile and reading the reports and at times giving my two cents worth. Been a life long resident and seen first hand what happened to my home county (Day) in the early years (Flooding). I have read that we are a quite group for not giving info about fishing, where, what, how, etc,,, Believe me I am no guide but I know the area well and catch fish some times and some times not. What I have seen with "out of state" fishermen is yes some give you a bad rap, But in all most are just looking for fish and a good time and I have pointed several to my "honey holes" and made some friends in the process. My reports are at times old and I guess it just upsets me to see our state getting bashed for not giving out info. and not welcoming,  Yes with the non-meandering water issue we are now facing it sucks and I do not know where it will end up as I have fished "private" lakes where I had a relationship with the landowner where now it is closed off to me due to the pressure and I understand that. Basically it comes down to a respect issue where you respect other fishermen, landowners and the lake you are on you will be welcome most places and sometimes not because of a few bad apples. Just had to give a little of my perspective. I am sure I will get trolled for my comments by some, and that is fine as everyone's perspective is different and I respect that.
majic

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing SD - Resident Perspective
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 AM »
You won’t by me, well said!   I posted on here a while ago about South Dakota Ice Shanny being  pretty quiet, I wasn’t  directing it at locals, and I hope you or anybody else does not take it that way.   I’m from Nebraska and have been up there on three trips already this winter, and heading up again this Friday.  When I get home I always say how I did, what lakes I Fished if anybody asks because they’re making a trip up there the next week.   I was just trying to get people who say they are heading up there, to give a report on how the fishing was when they get home is all!😊

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:52 AM »
it just upsets me to see our state getting bashed for not giving out info
Id commend you for not handing out everything and protecting your resources. People aren't helpless.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Can't think of a reason for you to be trolled for expressing your opinion. I haven't fished the Webster area for years due to the fishing pressure in the area.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mvovos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I’m from Nebraska and enjoy coming to SD to fish and to be honest I don’t blame anybody for not sharing info just for the fact of the overcrowding, the way I look at it I will do what I have always done and try a lake or spot and keep moving until I find fish and if I don’t well that’s the way it goes I bet I had a good time trying anyway.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:38 PM »
The main thing is that you enjoy your time on the ice here. I think the non meandered water issue is bothering a lot of people at this time and we would all like to see it settled in a way that is good for for all.   

Offline graco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:41 PM »
The state / GFP needs to buy the land the lakes / sloughs sit on . Pay the price the land owner is being taxed for per acre of farm land . If the land owner is not wanting to sell I see no way to resolve the issue besides stop taxing them for land under water . GFP can also pay each land owner per year per acre of fish able water just like bird hunting .

You can not tax land owners for unusable land and then make money off of the water in the form of permits from sportsmen  .

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Like I said before, if I fish Waubay and do good I’m gonna let anyone who asks know that I had good results in 18 to 22 foot of water, if I fish Opitz and get skunked  I will also let them know that fishing wasn’t good for me there.  I’m not revealing my secret hotspot I’m just letting fellow ice fishermen know the best information I have to give them. 30 years ago I was icefishing with my grandfather and we were getting gas about to head home from a weekend trip in Minnesota. My grandfather was having a conversation with a dad that had three boys that were from out of town , he told them to fish the Shallows just off the main basin all around the lake in 15 to 18 foot of water and they should do good. I later asked him why he told them where to go. He looked at me and said, if we didn’t catch any fish while we were here would u want to come on this trip again with me?   I didn’t know what to say, and he didn’t let me have a chance. Son that father saved his money to take them boys on a fishing trip, and I’ll be damned if I couldn’t help him make the trip fun for them boys just because I was so selfish that I couldn’t give him some useful information to make his trip successful.  He then laughed  and said, remember that old man at the gas station that I talk to when we got here on Friday night, I said yes, he grinned and said that courteous gentleman gave me the same information!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:59 PM »
 :clap: :thumbsup:

Like I said before, if I fish Waubay and do good I’m gonna let anyone who asks know that I had good results in 18 to 22 foot of water, if I fish Opitz and get skunked  I will also let them know that fishing wasn’t good for me there.  I’m not revealing my secret hotspot I’m just letting fellow ice fishermen know the best information I have to give them. 30 years ago I was icefishing with my grandfather and we were getting gas about to head home from a weekend trip in Minnesota. My grandfather was having a conversation with a dad that had three boys that were from out of town , he told them to fish the Shallows just off the main basin all around the lake in 15 to 18 foot of water and they should do good. I later asked him why he told them where to go. He looked at me and said, if we didn’t catch any fish while we were here would u want to come on this trip again with me?   I didn’t know what to say, and he didn’t let me have a chance. Son that father saved his money to take them boys on a fishing trip, and I’ll be damned if I couldn’t help him make the trip fun for them boys just because I was so selfish that I couldn’t give him some useful information to make his trip successful.  He then laughed  and said, remember that old man at the gas station that I talk to when we got here on Friday night, I said yes, he grinned and said that courteous gentleman gave me the same information!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I make my way up to Webster once a year. I’m heading up the last weekend of February. I’ve never had a bad run in with the locals. We just want to catch some fish is all. That’s what we all want. I could care less about getting limits and pounding them. We just want to get away and have a good time while doing so. Sometimes we do good, sometimes we don’t. That’s fishing. We are a good fun group of guys! If anyone wants to meet up and go fishing send me a PM!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I have never met a person on the ice that I didn't get along with. I'll always try to help someone who asks a question. I have talked to guys who have been told that the only reason small towns like Webster exist is because nonresident sportsmen spend money in the area. Another was "You can always tell a South Dakota ice fisherman because he will be wearing brown Carhartts  and using a bobber the size of his head.". It seems there are some that come here who love to stir the pot and then complain about residents being an unfriendly bunch.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.