Author Topic: Sad To Say......  (Read 3543 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sad To Say......
« on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Well fellas, I think it's over for NW Ohio. Not getting my hopes up for the rest of this year. Packing away the shanty. Packing away my Buddy Heater. Packing away the auger and spud bar. Packing away my hopes and dreams. Now is time to get the Jon boat ready for the spring run.

One thing I'm not packing away is the snowmobile. Might get some good snow for a ride or two yet!
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sad To Say......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I don't think it is over yet ???still plenty of winter. After next wed back to cold. A couple of windless days and those temps it will be locked up again. I hope. Lol. Just looked at today's modis where we fished sun it is open water now. Not putting my stuff up getting ready for the next adventure. Saginaw here we come next weekend.  Anyone who can get to the islands will def be back out this season in my opinion.  Mark :tipup:

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I hope you are right. But all my local spots have to start all over again. The ice is destroyed. It's definitely stage 6 or 7.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Nah - will be good.  This week looks better than it did last week with major cold by end of the week.  Feb is supposed to be below normal.  :)

Offline tkfurs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I hope you are right. But all my local spots have to start all over again. The ice is destroyed. It's definitely stage 6 or 7.

Starting over again may be better than junk ice reforming. Once ice gets to bad, it never fully recovers at full strength.

I don't think our season is over, but caution needs to be taken from here on out.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Starting over again may be better than junk ice reforming. Once ice gets to bad, it never fully recovers at full strength.

I don't think our season is over, but caution needs to be taken from here on out.

Thanks for boosting my spirits at least. Hoping for the best....expecting the worst. After 51 years, I guess I should be used to Ohio weather. Maybe I can hit a lottery ticket and take a trip up North. Now THATS wishful thinking!

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Definitely know how you feel.  Wish we could just have a real winter for a change.  :)

Thanks for boosting my spirits at least. Hoping for the best....expecting the worst. After 51 years, I guess I should be used to Ohio weather. Maybe I can hit a lottery ticket and take a trip up North. Now THATS wishful thinking!

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Looks like I should be back on the ice at the island by the 10th,But that's just a guess...

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:23 AM »
There are still 4 days left in JANUARY fellas!! I don't know when your winter usually ends but in the southern tier of NY we usually get our coldest weather in January and February and most of our snow in February and March. Lots of time left!!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Thats the problem here.  More snow usually means less ice growth. 

Here's where my luck plays in..... if I keep my gear at ready, we won't get squat. If I pack it away, we will get a foot of ice! So by storing it away, I'm doing all of you a favor!

Offline tkfurs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:01 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!😀

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:18 PM »
So by storing it away, I'm doing all of you a favor!

Lol

Some grumpy ***** should just just suck it up and buy a nice boat, take one for the team...

<°)))>{

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:59 PM »
The western basin may be done, not the islands though. I just got off 10" in a Marina, lots of fish, mostley dinks.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:24 PM »
After fishing from sat - tues I can  definitely say it is over from the main land. Ice was getting pretty thin coming off last nite. We were finally starting to get the big ones. Caught a lot of good eaters this year with only probley a dozen over 5 lbs. all in all a great year had the most throw backs we ever had so next couple of years should get really good! Last couple of days were great. I did get my first skunk of the year mon. But it was such a nice day I wasn't mad a bit. My freind 20 ft away landed 4 and lost that many. I only marked 5 fish that day. Not putting our stuff away yet I feel like we have at least one more road trip left in us! Lol. Mark :tipup:

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:43 AM »
After fishing from sat - tues I can  definitely say it is over from the main land. Ice was getting pretty thin coming off last nite. We were finally starting to get the big ones. Caught a lot of good eaters this year with only probley a dozen over 5 lbs. all in all a great year had the most throw backs we ever had so next couple of years should get really good! Last couple of days were great. I did get my first skunk of the year mon. But it was such a nice day I wasn't mad a bit. My freind 20 ft away landed 4 and lost that many. I only marked 5 fish that day. Not putting our stuff away yet I feel like we have at least one more road trip left in us! Lol. Mark :tipup:

Be careful. After the 60 degree stuff yesterday, im calling it quita for the year. Already getting the soft water stuff around. Just bought a new pole yesterday. Ready for the spring run.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Thought you were done in January. Haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.