Author Topic: Here's hoping, cold winter forecast  (Read 4605 times)

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's hoping, cold winter forecast
« on: Aug 15, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Could do without the snow but I'll take it if the cold is true!

http://news.yahoo.com/snow-august-steamy-now-forecasters-see-big-winter-173109124.html

Using this summer’s weather as a template, Pastelok looked for what happened in the winter in other years when a weak to moderate El Nino formed. He found a similar pattern in 2002/2003 and 1953/1954.

In those years, storms early in the season drenched the Southeast and then headed out to sea. But, then later in the winter, the snows came.

According to the National Weather Service office in Boston, the winter of 2002/2003 featured below-normal temperatures and above-normal snowfall in many locations. “It was the coldest winter in nine years since 1993-1994,” wrote the Weather Service, noting that it was a “stark contrast” to the prior winter, which was the mildest on record. In 2002/2003, the temperature was 10 degrees colder than 2001/2002.

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Here's hoping, cold winter forecast
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Sounds good to me. :) :) :) :)

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2012, 04:00 PM »
2010...  tons of acorns and lots of ice.
2011....  no acorns and no ice

Already started having some acorns fall on muly lawn, so i hope my theory is correct

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2012, 04:20 PM »
That sounds like a winner to me BASSRI!!

Offline cobalt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Acorns it is then!
how do you  make four 9's equal 100

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2012, 09:37 AM »
So what we're saying is we're relying on BASSRI's nuts to drop?   

(sorry couldn't pass up the chance)

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2012, 07:58 PM »
 :nono: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :o

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2012, 01:25 AM »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: that is hilarious!!!! Bring on the cold weather, while your at it drop on in utah too bassri we could use some thick ice this year  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2012, 11:33 AM »
lots of acorns on the oaks here ;D
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I remember being pissed when last year's FA said a warm winter for us so I guess I should be happy with the cold/snowy forecast for us this year.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/08/26/will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance/

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Bring on the cold weather !!!!!

Offline BigShow23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2012, 05:20 PM »
NICE!!!......... Bring it on!!

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2012, 06:00 PM »
That get me even more pumped for the season. :icefish:

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2012, 06:16 AM »
Acorns falling on my cars here and my driveway is full of them. Hopefully it will be a great ice season.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2012, 07:21 AM »
I just love watching folks in the Northeast get hit by weather! Y'all get 10 inches of snow and ALL the networks are crapping themselves! Hell, we get 10 inches in Wisconsin...we just drop the truck in 4x4 and go to work....hardly gets mentioned! LOL!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2012, 07:51 AM »
I just love watching folks in the Northeast get hit by weather! Y'all get 10 inches of snow and ALL the networks are crapping themselves! Hell, we get 10 inches in Wisconsin...we just drop the truck in 4x4 and go to work....hardly gets mentioned! LOL!
Unless it's a case of 10 inches of "clear to partly cloudy" you had to shovel  (or blow) out of your driveway!! It's an old Minnesota joke!! :roflmao:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2012, 09:37 AM »
So you really must get excited when the Southeast gets hit.  And don't judge us by the newscasts none of them are from here anyway.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2012, 04:47 PM »
So you really must get excited when the Southeast gets hit.  And don't judge us by the newscasts none of them are from here anyway.

I don't judge y'all on it. You can't help it if you got most of the Liberals out on the coast! Hell, everything to those idiots is  "END OF THE WORLD!!!!!"...LOL!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I and two friends drove down to Philly during what became known as the Blizzard of '76.  We were there to pick up some TV cameras and equipment.  The city rolled up the sidewalks.  We went into a dunkin doughnuts and only one other customer was there. He was a taxi driver who had moved to Philly from Montreal.  For us it was no big deal. They had 8 inches down and it was still snowing.  The locals thought it was a catastrophe.  It was great.  No traffic at all.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I remember being pissed when last year's FA said a warm winter for us so I guess I should be happy with the cold/snowy forecast for us this year.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/08/26/will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance/

Best news so far this year.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2012, 01:52 AM »
The only 10inches i want see is on the lake and solid  @) lets get these nuts droppin and put the FA into full affect
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2012, 07:09 AM »
I was out in So Cal a few years back. It snowed just outside LA...just a dusting, maybe a 1/2 inch. The locals FREAKED! Closed roads etc. Well, I flew out to visit my brother, we ran out of booze so I borrowed his car to go on a beer run....I got pulled over by a cop BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING and the roads were closed "for my safety". After I showed him my Wisconsin Drivers License, he asked me about snow chains, gave me directions to a liquor store and LET ME GO! No kidding!

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I was out in So Cal a few years back. It snowed just outside LA...just a dusting, maybe a 1/2 inch. The locals FREAKED! Closed roads etc. Well, I flew out to visit my brother, we ran out of booze so I borrowed his car to go on a beer run....I got pulled over by a cop BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING and the roads were closed "for my safety". After I showed him my Wisconsin Drivers License, he asked me about snow chains, gave me directions to a liquor store and LET ME GO! No kidding!

See, living in the North has its advantages!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2012, 09:44 PM »
See, living in the North has its advantages!

Yup! it snows, we can still go on a beer run! We don't make a big deal about a snowstorm......we are just half drunk and half crazy with good winter driving skills!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2012, 09:50 PM »
I wonder if that because he new you could drive in the snow or he new you could handel the beer. :)

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2012, 10:10 PM »
I wonder if that because he new you could drive in the snow or he new you could handel the beer. :)

Hell, it's CA....probably BOTH! LOL! He saw a white guy with a Wisconsin DL, heading out for beer in the snow.....I was more of an "expert" on winter driving then he was at that point!

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Chepi and I were heading to Wordens a couple years back during one of the storms.  Followed a wing of plows all the way down 1.  Want to talk about annoying.  white out with flashing orange lights for half an hour.  Finally got off and cut through Wakefield.  Peaceful unplowed roads.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:41 AM »
 I was an on call plow guy last year to plow RT 495. Thankfully I didn't get a single call last winter. My kids and grown now and my child support ends very soon. I'm all done with getting up at 11 pm and plowing for 30+ hours straight after working an 8 hour shift at my regular job. This winter is going to be more enjoyable than I can remember in past years. I'm looking forward to safe ice. ;D
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline socks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:26 AM »
I hope its true!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Finally some GOOD news. I don't know if me or my dog is more exited. She loves ice fishing...but I think I still have her beat, the bug has bitten HARD already.

MTA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.