Author Topic: Greetings! Looking for advice for Xmas fishing at LOTP near Asessippi  (Read 687 times)

Offline Hardigan

• IceShanty Rookie
 :D Hello all!  I'm a pretty green fisherman altogether, but particularly the ice fishing.  Love it though.  I'm from out west, but will be back near the folks' place for the holidays.  I've convinced my family to do some ice fishing this year on LOTP!! as it's close by.

I'm looking for some advice on what to expect ??? ???:  what will I be fishing for (what's species are in there?)? what might I need as far as lures?  Is there anything that works best?  I'll probably be using a 6" auger.
Also, do you need one license for the SK side of the lake and one for the MB side or will one of them work for both ends?

It will be a gong show for us all, but a lot of fun.  I used to fish there in the summertime as a kid, but it's been a long time.

I appreciate any info from you more experienced fishermen.
Good fishing everyone! :tipup:
Thanks!

germanshorthair

I figured it is a good time to discuss the consumption advisories from the states waters fisheries deemed unfit for human consumption. It is said that high levels are concentrated during the fish life at such extreme levels for cause of concern. Lrgely in part due to heavy levels of contaminants such as metals ( mercury) dioxins pcb's and other elevated levels of toxins and poisonous elements found in certain waterways and in the food chain of those waterways. In fact the officers claim most the freshwater impoundments throughout the state of new york have pollutants high enough to cause fish consumption advisories. I read additional revisions in the states fisheries regulation booklet. Some fishermen claim it is a hoax these consumption warnings as to promote catch and release thereby allowing state stocking shortcuts or even something about state liability or what have you.. Wondering if these impoundments were always polluted or contaminanted by natural means and so much by human intervention.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
I figured it is a good time to discuss the consumption advisories from the states waters fisheries deemed unfit for human consumption. It is said that high levels are concentrated during the fish life at such extreme levels for cause of concern. Lrgely in part due to heavy levels of contaminants such as metals ( mercury) dioxins pcb's and other elevated levels of toxins and poisonous elements found in certain waterways and in the food chain of those waterways. In fact the officers claim most the freshwater impoundments throughout the state of new york have pollutants high enough to cause fish consumption advisories. I read additional revisions in the states fisheries regulation booklet. Some fishermen claim it is a hoax these consumption warnings as to promote catch and release thereby allowing state stocking shortcuts or even something about state liability or what have you.. Wondering if these impoundments were always polluted or contaminanted by natural means and so much by human intervention.

Wow where did this come from??? Thanks for the read but let us get back to the original question ;D ;D

LOTP's = walleye/perch and huge pike.

Jigs with salties, live minnows on the Manitoba side. Either province for a license will do for either side.
Master Angler can give you some helpful information.

BW
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Ya, no kidding where did that come from.   ;D  Good read though.

And yes I can help you out on LOTP.  Send me a Private Message, but I think you have to have at least 5 posts, so make a couple somewhere even here if you like.  I see you haven't been logged on since the 3rd, hope you're still checking in here.  8)

Offline BigB

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for contributing. Perhaps you are not aware of your general geography. MB is like 2500km away from you. Come and fish here some time. It's great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.