Author Topic: bench or bucket seat  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
bench or bucket seat
« on: Nov 12, 2010, 01:48 PM »
My son and I are going to buy a new flipover tent this year and just wondered if any preference to seats?  My son thinks that a bench is the best ,but I am still leaning toward bucket seats. What do you have and what do you like it?    Jerry

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: bench or bucket seat
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I have a 2 man flip with a bench seat. I like it because I usually fish alone and the 2nd bench seat gives me a flat elevated place to lay out my rods and tackle.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I have an Eskimo Eskape that came with a split bench seat. My buddy and I are both pretty big guys, and there just isn't enough padding to be comfortable for a long day on the ice. I am replacing it with more comfortable boat seats.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I"ve got an Team Otter wild flip over that came with a bench. I can't sit on it for more than 10 minutes, and then got the the fold down bucket seat. Big difference, my back holds up better to.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I have a Yukon with swivel bucket seats and love it especially the fact that they swivel. It makes it easy to reach things behind you and if I go myself sometimes I will take the spare seat out which makes for more room.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Guess I'm just chasing too many flags to sit on it for too long  ;D.

I do agree though, a long day sitting on a bench seat makes for a sore back.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I like buckets over bench style. Get a shelter with easily removable seats to lighten the load when going solo. I put a small cooler next to me where the other seat was for a work surface/table.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Are you thinking about getting one that you use a folding chair or bench that you can add
boat seat to?
Fish on!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I like buckets myself...lots easier on the back/spine and you can stretch your legs out a bit and lean back, at least a little..
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I have the frabill DLX and it has really nice buckets that can slide around so you can use one or both and move them to where you feel comfy.  When I go alone I sit pretty much in the middle.   My buddy has a flip with a bench and I don't like in near as much.

Head over to Gander or someplace where they have them all set up and just sit in them all.  You will make up your mind in short order based on comfort.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:51 PM »
I have the frabill DLX and it has really nice buckets that can slide around so you can use one or both and move them to where you feel comfy.  When I go alone I sit pretty much in the middle.   My buddy has a flip with a bench and I don't like in near as much.

Head over to Gander or someplace where they have them all set up and just sit in them all.  You will make up your mind in short order based on comfort.
That's probably the best advice!
Fish on!

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Well that answers the question, I had my 6th back surgery last Monday,so it sounds like the bucket seat is the way to go. Also I do have a real nice chair that I take with me when I summer fish ,and I always can take that along to.   Jerry

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Well that answers the question, I had my 6th back surgery last Monday,so it sounds like the bucket seat is the way to go. Also I do have a real nice chair that I take with me when I summer fish ,and I always can take that along to.   Jerry

I've been under the knife twice now, the second time for a broken back. I've got enough titanium in my back to build a good ice reel. I have the Trekker DLX also. I can sit all day long if I want to without discomfort. Like MaxAntonius said, try it, you'll like it.

servocam

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:18 PM »
When I was looking at buying a flip-over, I liked the Otter bench over the Clam Nanook small buckets.  My buddy has a 4-man Otter flip-over and his bucket seats are much larger and comfy.  So reading this, it looks like the buckets win, but have to be a nine comfortable bucket that fits you. 

I personally have a hub and sit in a big collapsing chair.

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:25 PM »
bucket seats are so much better

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:59 PM »
i have both bench(fishtrapII) & bucket(fishtrap pro) seats. bucket seats are alot more comfortable. they take up more room.use a boat cushion on the bench seat.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I had the Eskimo Grand Caravan with the bench seat. I HATED that thing! I mounted a couple boat seats in it instead. If you have a chair that you like have you thought about a Clam 5600. (If they still make 'em?) Otherwise, in my opinion Frabil makes the most comfortable bucket seats around.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:22 PM »
I like the bench best.  Gives some flexibility where I sit if i'm alone, and I use s strapon canoe seat for the backrest and padding.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I've been under the knife twice now, the second time for a broken back. I've got enough titanium in my back to build a good ice reel. I have the Trekker DLX also. I can sit all day long if I want to without discomfort. Like MaxAntonius said, try it, you'll like it.

I also have been under the knife with continued back monitoring (PT). Purchased the otter 2 man cabin with bucket seats. I can sit for long periods but still have some back tightness, seats are comfortable, pleanty of room for 2, never tried the bench. Tightlines...
Ron

Offline lookinforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:52 PM »
A bit off topic, but relative to seats, my buddies and I always throw a collapsible chair (kind that fits in a slim carry bag) in the sled, comfortable, have a built in beverage holder, very lightweight and easily stowable.  This time of year is perfect to buy them for $10 or less as they are out of season on sale at most any big box sporting goods store.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I can only judge what I have tried, I own a clam fish trap guide with bucket seats and I love it. When they made the change to benches a few seasons ago, I was able to try a bench seat model and hated it, the seat portion was to thin and the back portion was not high enuff, bucket seats for sure

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:48 PM »
i have a frabill commando with a bucket seat swivels and all that good stuff pay extra for it but its worth  the money great padding and ez on ur back

Offline rudder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:02 PM »
The newer deluxe seats in the flipovers are very comfortable

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2010, 12:02 AM »
I need a back or i have back problems, the bucket seats in my frabill are great.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Bucket seats are the way to go.

Try out as many as you can before purchase, and remember, you will be wearing lots of cloths, so what feels nice in the store may be too small out on the lake.

I have seen guys modify regular boat seats to use in their portables.  I use the clam bucket seats that came with my Voyager.
No complaints so far.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2010, 03:52 PM »

"I have seen guys modify regular boat seats to use in their portables."

I take my pedestal seats out of my boat for the winter - 4 screws off and 4 screws on - High back cushion comfort ! Makes jiggin for Lakers for 10hrs. an EXTREME comfort ! All depends on how comfortable ya want to be. I found my Clam seats didn't have an high enough back for me. For $39.99 ya can get some nice seats from W**** . 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.