Author Topic: Navionics Mobile App For Android Discontinued?  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Navionics Mobile App For Android Discontinued?
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Did anybody else notice you can't download the navionics map app from the PlayStore anymore? What's up with that?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Navionics Mobile App For Android Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:18 PM »
they changed the name of it to boating....heard they pulled it for iphones due to errors or something along those lines

Catchin' Fish

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:12 PM »
I can't find it by searching either. I have it already, but was trying to find it for a friend

Someone else posted something about them taking it down for updates. 

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:29 PM »
I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago and then I noticed they took it down too. However I believe it's just updates though.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:57 AM »
I did end up downloading an APK off google so I got it now, but it definitely isnt in the play store currently. Hopefully they get it up soon! Am I still able to buy the map pack right now even though it isn't on the play store?

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I panicked a bit when I went to redownload it after messing up and uninstalling it. I found the Navionics Boating under the my apps list and downloaded and installed that which crashed every time it opened on my crappy old smartphone. I then put the boating app on a different android phone I had and it works fine.

I sent an email to navionics and they replied today that they took it down temporarily to fix some issues.

I found an .apk of the old app and put that on my current phone and luckily I still had my maps as I wasnt able to download any new maps. With the boating app it seemed to come with the whole country worth of maps, there was 3 different kinds: government charts, navionics charts, and sonar charts(?) I think you have to pay for some of the charts but I didn't because I assume I had previously purchased Marine & Lakes.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I panicked a bit when I went to redownload it after messing up and uninstalling it. I found the Navionics Boating under the my apps list and downloaded and installed that which crashed every time it opened on my crappy old smartphone. I then put the boating app on a different android phone I had and it works fine.

I sent an email to navionics and they replied today that they took it down temporarily to fix some issues.

I found an .apk of the old app and put that on my current phone and luckily I still had my maps as I wasnt able to download any new maps. With the boating app it seemed to come with the whole country worth of maps, there was 3 different kinds: government charts, navionics charts, and sonar charts(?) I think you have to pay for some of the charts but I didn't because I assume I had previously purchased Marine & Lakes.

Yes, if you purchased it previously I am pretty sure the app can tell because the purchased is stored with your google account. Did Navionics give you an ETA of when it would be back up?

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2014, 03:38 PM »
Although I use the Iphone, I've been in contact with Navionics for the last week sorting out a layering issue.  I was having problems with lakes lining up with the map and decided to send some information their way.  They released a new version today that fixes those bugs.  Your guys' issue with not being able to find it may have been due in part to the new version being released. 

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:13 PM »
I had to do a insurance claim on my phone months back.  It was still in the play store when I forced everything to the new phone.  Same exact phone but it will not work any more.  this is the 3rd droid I have had, but it worked on the first 2 without any issues.
Don

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:01 PM »

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:07 AM »
The link worked fine for me, and it is a terrific app to have on your phone.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2014, 05:25 PM »
I re downloaded it 2 days ago ,works fine
How are the edges ?

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:24 AM »
I still can't find the app in the app store. I already had it installed on my phone thank goodness. However I'm not able to purchase any upgrades for the app. Using a SG Note 3.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:26 PM »
I re downloaded it 2 days ago ,works fine
Would you mind posting a link?

Also, degasvegas- same thing happened to me! I just want the US Maps package! :(

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:30 PM »
I think it'll work fine for anyone who has it installed and has maps on their device already. But the android version is still not on Google play, and until they fix that I don't think we can purchase maps. I wish they had a canada only version of the maps, but we're stuck paying for both USA and Canada maps :/

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2014, 12:42 PM »
I found the Navionics Boating app under the my apps section on google play store, the phone I use does not have a lot of memory so the app crashed every time. I dug up a different android phone and downloaded the boating app and it came with maps of pretty much the whole country. Three different types of maps actually there was US government charts, Navionics charts, and sonar charts. Some lakes didnt have navionics charts some lakes didn't have sonar charts, and some had both. I didn't really look at the government charts. The sonar charts seemed to be pretty in-depth. As I said up further I found the old version and installed it on my current phone and still had maps but couldnt download anything else.

Offline collarcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I lost my phone over the side of my kayak (brilliant move right?) 2 months ago and I have to say I'm fairly pissed about the new app. First of all it seems like there is now a defined subscription length which is total BS, I had the old app for 2 years and never had to pay anything other than the initial $10 to buy it. Now when I look under the charts & upgrades section of settings it says I have 323 days remaining on my subscription. I've had a ton of problems with the new app that I never experienced with the old version. Among the problems I've had are not recognizing my gps signal location, not rendering any lakes or depths until I zoom all the way in and frequently force closing. If they fix the other issues I've experienced with the new app I'll definitely pay the $10 a year but that's still a complete garbage move on their part. Speaking of garbage moves, now they want you to pay another $3.99 for depth shading and other features that used to be free. I could really kick myself for not adequately backing up my previous phone so that I could just copy the old apk and data to my new phone.
-Steve

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I still can't find the app in the app store. I already had it installed on my phone thank goodness. However I'm not able to purchase any upgrades for the app. Using a SG Note 3.

Love my Note3. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Now all I need is this AP.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:05 AM »
I lost my phone over the side of my kayak (brilliant move right?) 2 months ago and I have to say I'm fairly pissed about the new app. First of all it seems like there is now a defined subscription length which is total BS, I had the old app for 2 years and never had to pay anything other than the initial $10 to buy it. Now when I look under the charts & upgrades section of settings it says I have 323 days remaining on my subscription. I've had a ton of problems with the new app that I never experienced with the old version. Among the problems I've had are not recognizing my gps signal location, not rendering any lakes or depths until I zoom all the way in and frequently force closing. If they fix the other issues I've experienced with the new app I'll definitely pay the $10 a year but that's still a complete garbage move on their part. Speaking of garbage moves, now they want you to pay another $3.99 for depth shading and other features that used to be free. I could really kick myself for not adequately backing up my previous phone so that I could just copy the old apk and data to my new phone.
Is the 365 days for free map upgrades? That is what it looks like on their website, maybe you get to keep the maps you have when the 365 days are over.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2014, 04:48 PM »
As I understand it, the 1 year subscription thing is for map updates.  Yeah it sucks, but inevitable, considering the cost of the maps on a chart plotter are way higher.  I'll find out next July whether that's the case or not.

Offline fishguy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Just looked for it now and was unable to find it.

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:28 PM »
The app is back online for those who are wondering.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Yay!! Just in time! I needed it for Friday!

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:01 AM »
I think I remember this happening last year they took it down for awhile to add extra lakes I bet that's what theyre doing again

Offline RustyDodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I have the app.  Can anybody tell me if it will work without cell service?  Seems pretty cool...lot easier to use than my H2Oc.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:07 AM »
@ RustyDodge
welcome!
it will work after you download the area you want it to cover. so use your wifi to get it going first.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I have the app.  Can anybody tell me if it will work without cell service?  Seems pretty cool...lot easier to use than my H2Oc.

As long as you have the maps downloaded ahead of time, the app only needs gps signal, cell signal is not required.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I just bought a new smartphone yesterday and to my dismay the app was not available. I just called Navionics support number and it is down from the App store for some maintenance work. Not sure if this is the same downtime event that this thread is speaking about or if it just went down recently. He said to check the store and it should be back before long. Hopefully days not weeks!!

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Did you check for Boating USA?

They changed the name for some reason a little while back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.