Author Topic: Who is getting the new Eskimo 6120 6 sided shanty?  (Read 8939 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who is getting the new Eskimo 6120 6 sided shanty?
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Have a clam summit and selling it this weekend...Do not like the fact that clam windows are non removable.  makes it hard to ventilate and to see tip ups...Decided to go with the new eskimo 6120 6 sided shanty this season.   Shipments haven't hit the US yet but from what I have been hearing items on backorder should be shipped out Mid november.   Who else is grabbing one of these awesome shelters?

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who is getting the new Eskimo 6120 6 sided shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:59 AM »
Never heard of it until I read this thread looks like a fantastic shelter may have to sell off the 949  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Looks pretty good.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:40 AM »
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Wow, I didn't know the windows in the Eskimos were removable. That is a big advantage over the Clams. I still like my Bigfoot 4000t though.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:45 AM »
Only 300 weight fabric. Do they come w/ 600?
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Wow, I didn't know the windows in the Eskimos were removable. That is a big advantage over the Clams. I still like my Bigfoot 4000t though.

Don't even get me started.  Virtually all, if not all, other manufacturers use removable/replaceable windows except Clam.  Even after as many years as they have been around.  I haven`t had one Clam shelter that hasn`t had one or more cracked windows.  I almost cut them out this year and was going to make my own removable ones but I just used tarp tape instead.  3 of 6 windows on the command post are cracked. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Only 300 weight fabric. Do they come w/ 600?
This is not good.
<===Lefty===

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:19 PM »
300 vs 600 meh thats what you got a heater for

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2014, 04:32 AM »
That's a good looking shanty but I don't need one that big.  It looks like Eskimo really did their homework. 

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:33 AM »
It does look very nice. Too big for me also. Good base camp for 4-5 people though.
Removable windows on the mo's are nice for extra ventilation or replaceable if one should crack.
No 600 denier on the mo's. The insulated mo's are nice. If choosing between 300 denier insulated vs 600 regular, I'd go with the 300 insulated. The regular mo's with 300 denier are thin but lightweight. Get one with the "i" behind the model#, you won't ever regret getting insulated, especially when heating and condensation builds on the ceiling then rains on you. JMO
It must be something in the water.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:48 PM »
the Eskimo is decent but the Clam Six Pack 1660 Thermal is the best six sided hub house on the market. The Clam is 600 denier fully insulated fabric verses Eskimo's is only 300 denier insulated fabric. the other thing that sets the Clam ahead of others is that it is 11.5 ft across and has the most fishable area of all the 6 sided houses. Any fully insulated Clam will be 600 denier fabric except the X1 & X2 & X4 these are 900 denier and the new X2 Pro thermal is 1800 denier and the non thermal nanook and kenai are thinner at 420 denier.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:59 PM »
the Eskimo is decent but the Clam Six Pack 1660 Thermal is the best six sided hub house on the market. The Clam is 600 denier fully insulated fabric verses Eskimo's is only 300 denier insulated fabric. the other thing that sets the Clam ahead of others is that it is 11.5 ft across and has the most fishable area of all the 6 sided houses. Any fully insulated Clam will be 600 denier fabric except the X1 & X2 & X4 these are 900 denier and the new X2 Pro thermal is 1800 denier and the non thermal nanook and kenai are thinner at 420 denier.
clam clam clam clam talk about a salesman wow  ::)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:08 AM »

There are pro's and cons to both, but Clam sews their windows in permanently on all their shelters so when they crack and break, and they will, you can't replace them.  Its too bad because they would be a good shelters if not for that.  I believe they do this for a combination of cost cutting and to shorten it's lifecycle so that you have to buy a new shelter every couple years.  I won't buy another shelter that I can't replace the windows. Eskimo, Frabill and Shappell all have replaceable windows that you can buy for just a few dollars and replace in seconds.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:47 AM »
well you guys made me change my mind about which model inam getting...i originally was going yo just go with the 6120 non insulated but now i am going to pay the extra and 6120i ordering one this week!!!!! cant wait for hard water....sold the clam to some guy off craigslist....clams are worthless bc of how they are set up imo.....the clam served me well but had way to many issues i.e. non removable windows crappy zippers that freeze up leaky seams....everyone should ho eskimo over clam

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Last year when I was buying my pop-up I was torn between the Eskimo 949i and the Clam 1600T and spent hours comparing them.  Needless to say I'm glad I got the Eskimo and would do it again without hesitation.  The removable windows are a big plus and will no doubt save me from having to buy another pop-up for a long time.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Good decision to go with the "i" model, trust me, I have the QF3i. Fabric is very thick compare to the regular models.
Clams have their place. Just picked up a 5600 for free but after looking at it I had to purchase a tent for $179. I think I'll like having a floor for my son. Clam seems to be adjusting their line to suit the needs of run & gunners with all the flip overs they've released lately.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Just ordered my 6120I from the redrock store.   Now just the wait for them to come off backorder!  Red Rock has the 6120i cheaper than anywhere else, well besides bass pro but bass pro charges 75 bucks shipping so its still cheaper to get it from red rock! get one while you can!

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Anybody know if the Eskimo IQ insulated fabric is also on the interior walls of the shelter?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2014, 08:32 PM »
The insulation is sandwiched between the inside and outside wall material. 

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Ok thats is good to know but let me rephrase this a little bit.  As far as I can tell from pictures the insulated eskimos have a diamond shaped stitching on the exterior in contrast to the non insulated which just have the normal 300D material on the exterior.  I am curious to know if the interior of the insulated eskimos have the same diamond stitching as the exterior or is it just the normal 300d shanty material on the interior. 

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Yea, it is on the walls and ceiling. All the tent fabric is insulated, even the skirt. The outer shell is probably the same 300D as the regular mo's. On the interior, there is another piece of fabric that is probably lined with a very thin cotton I believe. It is then sewn onto the shell in a pattern that has stitching just about every 2 inches all over the tent. The stitching joins the exterior to the interior so the insulation doesn't fall down. So yes the stitching is on the interior as well. If you've ever seen the regular mo's, you'll be amazed at the quality of the "i" models. The interior is probably all black as well.

Offline HooksetHarvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I'm looking st getting a 6120 or a 949i. There both the same price.  I fish 2 or 3 guys usually but would like to take the family(2 kids n wife) out a few times.  Just trying to decide if I really need extra room of the 6120 or go with the thermal on the 949i. I really like the 6 sides of the 6120 even for fishing 3 guys but that 949i would be easier to heat.
Any input from guys with these models and how well they hold up?

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:31 PM »
I'm looking st getting a 6120 or a 949i. There both the same price.  I fish 2 or 3 guys usually but would like to take the family(2 kids n wife) out a few times.  Just trying to decide if I really need extra room of the 6120 or go with the thermal on the 949i. I really like the 6 sides of the 6120 even for fishing 3 guys but that 949i would be easier to heat.
Any input from guys with these models and how well they hold up?

My rule of thumb for occupancy (comfortable) in any hub is to divide the number of people the manufacturer says can "fit" (n) by 3 to be very roomy and if somewhat roomy than the equation is n/3 + 1.

So for a QF3 = n/3 = 1 very roomy
            QF3 = n/3 + 1 = 2 somewhat roomy

QF6 = n/3 = 2 very roomy
            QF6 = n/3 + 1 = 3 somewhat roomy

This assumes you plan on having seats, gear, heater, etc.

Offline HooksetHarvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Definitely don't like fishing cramped up.
Is the thermal fabric that much better (More durable) then the regular fabric?
I'm leaning towards the 6120.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Not sure about more durable but the real selling point for insulated is preventing condensation on the inside.  My buddy has the 949i and the only real drawback I have seen is when it's damp out (raining or wet snow or sloppy on the ice) the fabric really sucks up the moisture like a rag and it takes awhile to dry out.

We mostly use my 6 man for the two of us and he rarely uses the 949i.  But I have found it nice for overnighting in. 

Offline HooksetHarvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the mo 6120. Cant wait to try it out.

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:37 PM »
I got the 6120 a couple weeks before x mass, has really low/small doors. low ceiling also. Kinda tight for 3 of us, 2 holes each, gear and heater. Better with 1 hole each.Thought it would be a little bigger. Not what I expected but not bad enough to take the time and effort to ship it back. Perfect for two though!

Offline HooksetHarvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:29 PM »
fordkisskrazy thanks for the reply.
Hows the quality on it?
Did you get the insulated version?
How easy to set up and pack up?
Its going to be a big jump in size from my old shappell s3000 now.

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:52 PM »
I didn't get the insulated 1, I've never felt the need for 1. Very easy to set up and take down, and the bag is oversized so easy to pack up. Quality is top notch. I've had/have other Eskimo pop ups and and have never had a problem. 1 of my friends have a clam and I swear every time he sets it up he breaks a rod or hub. Last week was a window cracked. I also have a quickfish 4, had it for 4 or 5 years now, not one problem with it. Hope you have as good as luck as I have and hope you like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.