Author Topic: Ice fishing Parka and bids  (Read 9051 times)

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing Parka and bids
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I have been looking into getting a suit for ice fishing that gets you dry and warm.  Sick of bending down and getting wet knees.  Anyhow Ive looked at all the top brands like Ice Armor, Frabill, and all them.  I came across one from Sportmans Guide, they call it Ice parka, and bibs.  They are about half the price as other suits and it still looks like good quality.  I posted the link that should show them.  Has anyone used these?  And whats your thoughts?

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-parka.aspx?a=750470

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing Parka and bids
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:04 PM »
The Sportsman Guide parka and bibs are the same construction as the original Vexilar and StrikeMaster ice suits. Purchased a Guide Gear parka 11/11, and compared it to my 2007 Vexilar parka there identical, quality garment at a great price.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:33 PM »
mbart- thank you very much!!  That is exactly what I was wanting to know.  Cant beat it for that price.  Good thing I didnt pull the trigger on a more expessive one.

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I have the set... Used it all last year. The coat is heavy in weight but super warm and dry.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Well for about half the price of other suits I think I can handle a coat that's a little heavier

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Well for about half the price of other suits I think I can handle a coat that's a little heavier

Exactly!  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Being heavier just means fewer layers to me. When I came off the Lake Saturday pulling my sled I should have taken off my Bibs. My bibs are Military bibs that weigh a ton. I took off the Bomber hat and just wore my Ball Cap. My head and neck was totally wet from sweat.
<===Lefty===

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:55 AM »
yea i bought a pair from sportsman guide for this season and i was shocked when i open the box.  great ice suit and even better great price.  im just waiting for the ice to use them now

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:23 AM »
 I bought a set last year as well. I totally agree you can not beat them for the price. The coat has lots of pockets and the bibs have padding at the knees and butt as well. If you are a member of Sportsmans Guide you get another 10% off! That makes the coat and bibs for $145! I would order a set you won't be disappointed.
 Matt

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I think after Christmas im going to get a the bibs and coat coming.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I bought a set for my Son and he really likes them.  When the box arrived I was pleasantly surprised as well.  Unless you were to read the tag, I suspect most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the higher priced brands.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Anybody try cabelas guide gear.  I love cabelas  but $600 for an ice suit.  Is it sewed with gold thread.  My god!  I do love the knee pad pockets tho.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:05 AM »
eyestroker, if your intrested Cabelas has Gore-Tex Guidewear X300 parka and bibs in the bargin cave.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:14 AM »
I would go with Frabill Grey suit for 179.00 at one of the midwest stores, I just got mine today and it is very well made not heavy so u can layer up.check it out

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I would go with Frabill Grey suit for 179.00 at one of the midwest stores, I just got mine today and it is very well made not heavy so u can layer up.check it out
Whose got it for $179.00
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Bigwally..I have a set from S.G. also and have NO complaints about them..very warm and dry, and also I am a club member there and paid less than $80 for mine... a 2 piece suit at 1/4 the cost of some others.. I also just bought a set for my buddy this year and they wrang up cheaper at final billing than what they even said in my shopping cart. Don't be afraid of trying these for the price.

Offline tommyboy99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:34 AM »
strikemaster has there's on sale right now for $95.00!! reg.169.00,go to web sight check out speicals.. I got the bibs last week,very nice..

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:11 AM »
strikemaster has there's on sale right now for $95.00!! reg.169.00,go to web sight check out speicals.. I got the bibs last week,very nice..

$95.00 is a steal! I got one of the first Vexilar suits (all black) at full price and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Still looks like new and very warm & dry.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I just bought the Sportsmans Guide bids and the parka.  It said that the bibs were $79 and the parka was $79.  When I added then to my cart it said they were $64 each.  I got the coat and bibs for only $126.  I thought that was on heck of a deal!!  Im excited to see what they look like.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed in them.

Offline mgm1035

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I am on my second year with them.  I fished in below zero weather in MN last year on a bucket and I was never cold.  I really like my set.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:09 AM »
I just bought the Sportsmans Guide bids and the parka.  It said that the bibs were $79 and the parka was $79.  When I added then to my cart it said they were $64 each.  I got the coat and bibs for only $126.  I thought that was on heck of a deal!!  Im excited to see what they look like.

Well It just seems to keep getting better.  I forgot to add the free shipping coupon, so i called them today to see if I can still add it.  hey said yes, and thats when I found out that I got a discount for ordering the bibs and parka at the same time.  Im not sure what all was involed on all the discounts I got confused, all I know is that I only paid $100 for everything and that includes shipping.  Not to mention they said I should have them tomorrow.  What a great place!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Sportsmans Guide has good gear for a good price!! What makes them even better is their Customer Service!! I always check them when I need something!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Good deal... You will love em...

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I also bought a pair og sportsmans guide bibs and coat got them with free shipping.. $100 out the door!
Damn nice gear for the money...

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:46 AM »
I also bought a pair og sportsmans guide bibs and coat got them with free shipping.. $100 out the door!
Damn nice gear for the money...

Yes it is, I almost feel like I should send them a christmas card...lol.   Im excited to get them.

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Ok guys are the guide gear bibs insulated??? I want to be able to put these on over a pair of blue jeans and not have my legs get cold! I bought a pair of vexilar bibs last year and my legs were honestly cold! Never happened with bibs before in my life!
youtube.com/danerc07

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I just got my SG suit in the mail. Its a great suit for the price and yes it is insulated. I looked at the frabill, Ice Armor etc.... but $400 for a suit is alot of money. I went with the sportsmangs guide stuff for $126 for both and it works well. Try it, it's the best deal going.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:59 PM »
I also just got mine in the mail today, and I must say they are well worth the money.  I looked at the Ice Armor ones in the store many times and the SG ones are just as good if not better.  And the price is unreal. 

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Just ordered mine from Sportsmans Guide and after putting them in my cart for $69 dollars each they both rang up at $54 each so I got them for 109 and then with shipping got them for $125 ..  I am so excited to get them in the next couple of days ,  now all we need is ice to fish on while wearing them.
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.