Author Topic: Plastic Sleds For Transporting Gear  (Read 7801 times)

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plastic Sleds For Transporting Gear
« on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I've gotten to the point where carrying all the gear has gotten old.  I've been looking around at the plastic sleds and found several different makes and models.  They appear to be pretty much the same.  Any preferences; Jet Sled, Viking, etc?  Large or small?  Modifications.  Is there anything that makes one stand out?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Plastic Sleds For Transporting Gear
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Thanks RedWolf,

I have been inspired.  I may just have to grin and bear it for the rest of this season and prep one for next season.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I bought a jet sled cause thats what the store had... I bought it big enough to use for ice fishing and to haul a deer outa the woods too if need be

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Buy as big as you can handle is my advice. I bought a sled last year, its fine as such, but I have since seen longer and deeper sleds, and am waiting for them to go on sale as spring approaches to replace. Since I don't have a permanent shelter or snowmobile, I pull my sled to various points on various lakes. Once you get really cold weather and you have to start pulling the pop up shelter, floor, heater, etc etc, I have found I run out of space pretty quickly. I solve the problem of things tipping off the top of the pile in the sled by putting a canvass tarp over the sled and contents and snugging it down tight with rubber bungees. That way, as I'm pulling the sled (I use a harness so if somethign were to fall out of the sled I might not notice it) I don't have to worry about losing something from the top of the pile of crap in the sled.

Chris

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Thanks RedWolf,

I have been inspired.  I may just have to grin and bear it for the rest of this season and prep one for next season.

...................... .....  ...................... .  ......................   ...................... ..  ......................  ...................... ..   ...................... .   .......

Hey RedWolf.
That is what I did.. I did a full season going through all hassle of tying  things down having thing slid around on the load.
So I put up with it for a season.... Then through the whole summer I ran all kinds of plans through my head and jotted down ideas....
and took the time to really think about what I wanted to haul and what stuff from others I would carry.

I agree with Solar .
Get the biggest Sled  as you can handle... both you and your vehicle.  HE is so Right... as you will always be adding things to your load.. as I did.. This fall I bought a Ice Tent. and I know down the road I'll be picking up the heaters and extra stuff he mentioned . So I made my sled to handle my stuff as I could not get a bigger Sled as of yet ( vehicle hauling capacity size wise inside)  If I had a truck.. i could only imagine what size Sled i would have...(LOl)

Anyways take your time to think about what you will need , then work with it..I still believe ( in my mind ) it is way better to PULL the load than to carry it.. ( as i did the very first year I got hooked on Ice Fishing)

Good luck and enjoy Ice Fishing and all those around you..
Take Care.

AltaIce

8)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I've gotten to the point where carrying all the gear has gotten old.  I've been looking around at the plastic sleds and found several different makes and models.  They appear to be pretty much the same.  Any preferences; Jet Sled, Viking, etc?  Large or small?  Modifications.  Is there anything that makes one stand out?  Thanks in advance for the advice.
.................  ...................  ..................  .....................  ...................  ..................  ...................  ..................  ...................  ....

Yup  steve399[/b
LOL

Apparently I have to slow down and read better..... The Last note was for you and not for RedWolf.. got the Quote return right to you  but got the name wrong... Sorry...

8)

Offline michigancrappieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I have a viking sled and love it. Also works good for my beaver trapping needs.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I agree with Solar about making sure to get one big enough. I have a Jet Sled but from what I can see the brand is of very little significance. I made the mistake of starting with one that was too small and a couple seasons ago went to the Jet Sled XL. I am going to make some PVC frame work to allow for more storage next season as it seems the older I get the more I seem to need while out on the ice. ;D

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:45 AM »
Jet sleds are great and worth the money!  I have a medium size one because I travel pretty light.  Tip ups, hand auger, lunch box, 5 gal bait bucket, small tackle box, alipne stove and a coffee pot.  That's about it and it all fits in the sled with room for my son to sit if he is tired of walking!  If it is blow 20 degrees with wind I drag out the clam 2000 with a small catalytic tent heater.  But the jet sled pulls with almost no resistance even in deep snow.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I started with an old toboggan ,cobbed crate box sides on it and I was off to the races 30 years ago. Now older and wiser,I like to make it as easy as I can. I got a look at the new otter sleds this year and I was really impressed. Thicker plastic and deeper than my jet sled. The jet sleds bottom is toast
anyway.I'm gonna pick up the otter.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:44 AM »
I started with an old toboggan ,cobbed crate box sides on it and I was off to the races 30 years ago. Now older and wiser,I like to make it as easy as I can. I got a look at the new otter sleds this year and I was really impressed. Thicker plastic and deeper than my jet sled. The jet sleds bottom is toast
anyway.I'm gonna pick up the otter.

.................   ................   ..................  ...................   .................   ......................   ..................   ..................     .....................

Hey surflizard   I Agree with you.

That is Why I Love My otter 2 Mini Sled.. I know it is Small ( all I need for now , for the room I have in my vehicle) and it has that THICK BOTTOM you mention and it is also very strong.. It does not twist when you pick it up..

I have never owned anything else.. but have heard others speak of different sleds.. I guess it all goes down to what they need and expect it to do... .. As long as what ever they buy works for them and pulls nice... all different sleds will have  there ups and downs.. depends on who is dong the judging .. and what they what.

8)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:31 AM »
Jet Sled medium.   

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Just recieved an Otter Mini sled for $30 @ Sportsman's Guide

To buy direct from manufacturing would have required $30 shipping  >:(
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Just recieved an Otter Mini sled for $30 @ Sportsman's Guide

To buy direct from manufacturing would have required $30 shipping  >:(
................ ................ .................  ...................  ....................  ..................  ..................   ...................  ................  ..........

Sounds Like a good price Townie

8)

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I couldn't wait until next season.  I was carrying my pop up Clam on my back, but then I realized that if I fall through the ice, it's going to weigh me down.  Not being the athletic type, it would take me a few precious seconds trying to get that bag off.  So off I went in search of a sled.  I looked around and most of the sleds were gone.  I noticed that the Otters were thicker, but I couldn't find the size I wanted.  I ended up with a Viking.  It works for now and my arms aren't sore and I don't have to keep stopping to rest my arms.  If the sled makes it through this season, I'll have to modify it (after seeing the other sleds on this site; I can't have a plain sled).

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I couldn't wait until next season.  I was carrying my pop up Clam on my back, but then I realized that if I fall through the ice, it's going to weigh me down.  Not being the athletic type, it would take me a few precious seconds trying to get that bag off.  So off I went in search of a sled.  I looked around and most of the sleds were gone.  I noticed that the Otters were thicker, but I couldn't find the size I wanted.  I ended up with a Viking.  It works for now and my arms aren't sore and I don't have to keep stopping to rest my arms.  If the sled makes it through this season, I'll have to modify it (after seeing the other sleds on this site; I can't have a plain sled).
...................   ....................   ......................   ...................... ..   .....................   ......................    .....................     ..................

Congrats Steve339
I'm the same as You.. I'll never  carry another thing on my back again.. hence buying  myself a sled last year..

Welcome to the next Phase of owning a New Sled.... Time to fix it up now... Pimped it brother.. Make it work for you. LOL..

All the Best.

Take care and good luck.. Tight lines

AltaIce

8)

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:39 AM »

Consider a Clam harness. I have one for my sled, and it makes all the difference in the world when pulling (http://www.amazon.com/CLAM-Clam%C2%AE-Sled-Pulling-Harness/dp/B002Z2BO42).

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Just won a Pak Sled on eBay for a little over 20 bucks with shipping. Question is does anyone have one and how do you like it if you do?
I searched them and see the Pak Shacks are OK for the money, just not built like the more expensive models.
I searched the web to see what the average price was and I got a deal, and noticed that everyone was sold out on them. So they must be decent, or because of the economy everyone is looking for a deal. I chose it because it rolls up and will fit in the Jeep!LoL...(and it was inexpensive.)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I have a GLide lite by Strikemaster. Alittle pricey but I am glad I spent the 70bucks for it. Small enough to transport easily (you could throw it in the back of a hatch back if needed) but plenty big to hall enough gear ( I hole hop and am a bucket sitter so I dont take much to begin with). I made rod holders, an auger mount for my lazer hand auger and fashioned up a lid for the small front comparment. it has done everything I have wanted it to do and more this past year.

I'll post some updated pics when I get home from work.

J-

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:55 PM »
here is my Glide Lite and the mods that I have done.

J-

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:33 PM »
I have a GLide lite by Strikemaster. Alittle pricey but I am glad I spent the 70bucks for it. Small enough to transport easily (you could throw it in the back of a hatch back if needed) but plenty big to hall enough gear ( I hole hop and am a bucket sitter so I dont take much to begin with). I made rod holders, an auger mount for my lazer hand auger and fashioned up a lid for the small front comparment. it has done everything I have wanted it to do and more this past year.

I'll post some updated pics when I get home from work.

J-
...................   ...............   ...................    ...................... .     ...................... .     ...................... ...    ....................     .................. 

Excellent Fix" jjc155"

What you have done with your Glide is great.. I looked at them a long time ago but I always thought my rod handles were
way too long..( which would have them dragging in the snow and ice) Like what you did with rod holder area and really like that fact that the plexi-glass lid is clear for your new closed in storage area, easy to get at stuff and see where everything is , in a fast glance.

On the part that holds the Auger in place.. Did you drill a hole in  the Flute of the Auger ?  Too hold it is place ?  Nice. I have the same Ice auger.. ( the strike-master auger works well for me.)

I like that you took a item and made it work well for you. Your so right the size if awesome also.

Good Job .

AltaIce

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Hey jjc155

I thought I saw that last time I wrote but forgot to ask and mention...

You added the two rows of " Hyfax Glides".. I did the same to mine... and I noticed how much easier it was to pull.

Did you notice a big difference in pulling it since then?

AltaIce

8)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:31 PM »
...................   ...............   ...................    ...................... .     ...................... .     ...................... ...    ....................     .................. 

Excellent Fix" jjc155"

What you have done with your Glide is great.. I looked at them a long time ago but I always thought my rod handles were
way too long..( which would have them dragging in the snow and ice) Like what you did with rod holder area and really like that fact that the plexi-glass lid is clear for your new closed in storage area, easy to get at stuff and see where everything is , in a fast glance.

On the part that holds the Auger in place.. Did you drill a hole in  the Flute of the Auger ?  Too hold it is place ?  Nice. I have the same Ice auger.. ( the strike-master auger works well for me.)

I like that you took a item and made it work well for you. Your so right the size if awesome also.

Good Job .

AltaIce

8)

Nope didnt drill a hole, I looked at the pic again and it is kind of an optical illusion. The front is held in place with a shovel fork just like the back, you just have to turn the dowel about 1/8 of a turn and the fork will sit with one "leg" on one side and one on the other side of the shaft. here is a pic from a different angle.

I had bought the runner kit from Strikemaster and it was pretty much crap. Holes were all screwed up and they were bent kind of weird. Also they did not come up as far on the front as I would have liked. I went to a local plastics supply house and picked up some 1/2inch Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Plastic which is the same stuff that they make the runners out of for Iditoron Dog Sled race sleds. Its very slick and very durable but worked with a heat gun and standard wood working tools. I ripped some runners out of it, bent it up and attached with SS hardware. The sled pulls very very easy now (first couple of trips I took it on were with out the runners and it pulled easy then) and the difference is night and day between with and with out the runners.

J-

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Hey " J "

I see it Now.. I should have looked closer.. I forgot there was the other prong to the fork....Sorry bout that...lol

It all works well though together.

8)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Hey " J "

I see it Now.. I should have looked closer.. I forgot there was the other prong to the fork....Sorry bout that...lol

It all works well though together.

8)

nope no biggie. I looked at the pic too after you mentioned it and with the angle it sure does look like the auger was hanging on the fork through a hole, LOL. Thanks for the compliments on my sled.

J-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.