Author Topic: sonar for walley  (Read 708 times)

Offline bz

• IceShanty Rookie
sonar for walley
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I have been ice fishing a couple years now. For christmas my wife asked me if i want a marcum showdown troller 2.0.  I said yes that would be great.  I need some help on how to use one for fishing with tip ups mainly for walleye.  Does anyone use flashers or sonar with tip ups? Do you use them to mainly mark fish (walleye) or look for depths. Do walleye hang out in one spot long enough to mark them and set tip ups or do they cruise around most of the day.  I am thinking i would use it most to set the tip ups up and if no fish i could drill holes and look for fish. Any help is appreciated.  So far my time ice fishing has been setting tip ups at dawn and sitting there till dark.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sonar for walley
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:16 AM »
I have the showdown from Marcum.  I don't use it with tip ups. But I use it more for watching my high and watching fish come up to my bait before seeing the hook. Not sure yet you would use it with a tip up except to set you bait at desired depth and then go set another. Not sure how you would intend to use it. I caught two nice Sauger last year jigging with my  showdown.
jbird68

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I also have the showdown. The only time I'm using it with tip-up's is for finding the depth I want to fish, by pouring a little water onto the ice, laying the transducer flat onto it and finding how deep I am that way. I also use it to setup my jigs at different depths.

Offline hawk56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:13 PM »
I have to showdowns fish with them religiously.. thinking
About selling one and upgrading to the lx7.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:48 AM »
I have the showdown as well a dual beam the guys at in depth outdoors has an awesome Chanel on youtube.  They usually have a new video up on Tuesday or Wednesday from a trip the weekend before.  They have a great video on the ins and outs of the marcum line beins that's one of there sponsers I'm with the rest of the guys though.  Fairly new to the sport of tip ups but I normally find contour edges and set say the 8' 10' and 12' lines  and build my pattern off that using the marcum just to find my depths.  But check out that YouTube its amazing how much help you can find

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:19 PM »
I have one, haven't used it much as I just got it at the end of last season but I really liked it for tipups with pike made it really easy and quick to find depth and set the bait to the proper depth. I have a spray bottle of washer fluid in my truck (I don't like to scrape my windshield) that I spray on the ice to check the depth before I drill. Excited to use it for jigging this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.