Author Topic: Traction Devices  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Traction Devices
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 07:37 AM »
I have a 05 Tahoe that I use for pulling my fish house and in general for ice travel. I was going to pick up a pair of the standard Peerless V bars just as I have used for years on other trucks, only to find out the owners Manuel boldly states Do Not Use Chains on This Vehicle due to clearance issues.

Yesterday I crawled under the truck to check out the clearance, just to discover there isn’t any. The brake lines are tight to the inside of the tires causing little to no room for standard chains.

One option would be to get a set of smaller,narrower tires for the rear, allowing more room for chains. Another would be to buy a set of extreme tread snow tires and forgo chains. Another option would be a different style traction device altogether.

Between three of our bigger lakes, I feel uncomfortable not have some type of backup plan for drifted roads, or off road travel in general. A fricked shovel don't cut it  ;D

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated! I figured there has to be a set of some type of device that would serve my needs. With the massive area this site entertains coupled with the vast experiences shared, I am all ears.

WS

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Traction Devices
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:10 AM »
All I did was throw a set of the most aggressive snow tires I could find on my truck.It's a bit noisy on the asphalt,but i can go almost anywhere on the ice in up to 2 ft. of snow :tipup:

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Traction Devices
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Studded snow tires?
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.