Author Topic: Phone Apps for lake contours  (Read 682 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Phone Apps for lake contours
« on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:10 AM »
I have been using the Navionics phone app for all my ice fishing adventures and have been very successful with it when searching for contours likely to hold perch. The cost in 2020 & 2021 was $16. In 2023, it was $22. Navionics increased the cost to $54 to renew this year. Ain’t happnin’ for 6 to 8 weeks of use. What other apps cover most of the Utah reservoir contours and don’t cost over $20 – if any?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Phone Apps for lake contours
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:46 AM »
I use the Lowrance App on my iPhone.  $14/ year.  it uses the C-map social map info.  works great in CO.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2024, 12:24 PM »
Never heard of Lowrance phone apps and apparently there are two of them.  One works with phones; the other doesn't according to a Lowrance agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.  She wouldn't/couldn't connect me to a technician that actually knows how their apps work.  Love my Elite Ti7; hate Lowrance tech support.  Do you have the C-MAP app?  Is it a stand alone app that doesn't need connection to any other device?  Does it show lake contour lines for most of the lakes you fish?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2024, 02:28 PM »
I've had Navionics on my phone for quite a few years and don't think I ever paid anything after my initial payment. It always mentions about updating and I never do and I can still use it.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 02:39 PM »
it's the Lowrance Navico app. The cheaper app.  there's a more expensive app also.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:42 PM »
I've had Navionics on my phone for quite a few years and don't think I ever paid anything after my initial payment. It always mentions about updating and I never do and I can still use it.
I cannot use mine without subscription renewal.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:12 PM »
Wow!  Navonics is $54 now. Guess it's good I paid the cheaper amount last November. Next season I may just have to change at that price. Guess I better take the garmin 64 around with me this year and get my way points off there.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:07 AM »
I guess I could use my Elite Ti mounted on my Snowdog, but the phone app is a lot easier to use since its always with me anyway.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:59 PM »
I renewed my Navionics subscription via the app a few days ago and it only charged me $22. Guess I got lucky?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:34 AM »
I renewed my Navionics subscription via the app a few days ago and it only charged me $22. Guess I got lucky?
I guess you did get lucky.  When I try to renew, I get this screen on my phone.  Add UT tax to that figure and it comes to $54, give or take.

Following through with the renewal, it charged me as shown below.  I renewed to see what would happen and then immediately canceled the renewal.

Already ordered a power cable and bracket to mount my boat sonar (Elite 7 Ti) on the Snowdog.  The cost was just under $50 for both and I don't have to pay it but once. 😁
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline 5wtrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2024, 09:26 AM »
Yep, $54…….damn

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:37 PM »
Looks like I did get lucky with a glitch...I got an email today telling me my subscription had expired and needed to renew. I contacted them indicating that I had already renewed it and the app was showing good until 2025. I got a response back indicating that they had undercharged me to do a "script error" and said I had to pay the balance. So I told them I would not renew and they could refund my $22....5 mins later they responded and said they would honor the previous $22 payment and confirmed I was good until 2025. Looks like this will be my last season using it as I won't pay $54 to renew next year.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2024, 10:31 PM »
Looks like this will be my last season using it as I won't pay $54 to renew next year.

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2024, 07:04 AM »
gpsnauticalcharts.com
Any lake w/ public launch = free

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2024, 10:26 AM »
gpsnauticalcharts.com
Any lake w/ public launch = free
Looking at the link you provided shows a USA version for Android/iPhone phones costing $21.99 $17.99.  Can't tell on the computer that a 'Any lake w/ public launch' app exists.  Can you provide any further information on what the free app is and/or a complete URL link to it?

Also, when I Google 'Best phone apps for boating/fishing', GPS Nautical Charts never shows up in any of the lists I looked at.   The app itself downloaded for free on my android phone.  It allows the download of one grid section for free.  After that, you have to pay for any further downloads.  I'm going to stick with using my Elite 7 Ti mounted on the 'Dog' for navigating to & from my honey holes.   :)
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.