Author Topic: Near record crappie  (Read 1522 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Near record crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Reminds me of the crappie (calico bass as I called them back then) I used to catch right at the docks on Jamaica Pond in Boston, MA.
Mind you, this was some 35+ years ago. I didn't have fancy gear, just an old soda can with 10-15lb. mono tied to the top/neck of the can and wound around the can. I would stop along the way to the pond and pick up whatever bait I could find roadside, usually salamanders and worms that moved thru the soil like a snake (I called them "wigglers" because they would wiggle like crazy until they could get traction to move).
I would collect what I could in a can or plastic soda bottle and head to the dock.

No weights, just hook the bait, drop in the water next to the dock, and you could look down (on calm-water days) and see the fish come out from the anchor chains to inhale the bait.

Finding crappie that size is now a rare luxury, and not to be taken lightly.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Congrats to those two! What a fish.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2021, 09:26 PM »
About three months before my best friend passed, we were out on one of our circuit ponds. He'd lost an eye to a stroke a year before, so his aim was off. The cast rattled off a branch, and the bobber got hung up on a glob of moss left over from dropping water. A mouth showed up and slurped his jig from just under the surface. He ended up holding the biggest speck we'd ever seen

https://imgur.com/9U4MZOV
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2021, 03:11 PM »

Wow that's a beast of a crappie   I never new they got that big.   Congratulations

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.