Author Topic: Alaska Shanty Chatter  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Alaska Shanty Chatter
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Okay so here is a place to talk all the non fishing stuff pertaining to Alaska! Remember to keep it in good taste and abide by ye forum rules ya'll agreed to when you signed up.

Any questions about the content...ask first then wait for a reply.

Happy New Year & Tight Lines :tipup: Team Alaska

"Fish ON!!!

Brad

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Alaska Shanty Chatter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Any college athletes in the Ak Shanty? This is my 2nd year wrestling in college. Any other post or current college athletes?

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Feeling like a crack addict going through withdraws
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:35 PM »
This cold weather is killing me on the inside...It's so cold we have retreated to the warmest room in the house!

I would do about anything for it to be about 40 degrees warmer so I could get out and go ice fishing in my shanty or snow machining!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Feeling like a crack addict going through withdraws
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:17 PM »
This cold weather is killing me on the inside...It's so cold we have retreated to the warmest room in the house!

I would do about anything for it to be about 40 degrees warmer so I could get out and go ice fishing in my shanty or snow machining!

I know EXACTLY how you feel F.F.!!!!!!
Just to get out of the house today, the dog and I took a drive on the big lake.  ;D
We did about a 40 mile round trip on Great Slave just to help combat the boredom.
It was -37C with a -44C windchill, but beautifully sunny.
The ice is pretty rough this year, with some pretty large preassure ridges.  :'(
On the plus side there is only about 4" of snow as most of this winters snow came before freeze up.

Offline murphyslaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:03 AM »
Its been way to cold for me. I have yet to hit the ice. between my work schedule and it being a whole -20 all the time figure I will just keep on staying home till it warms up to at least 0.

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Reminder......
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:23 AM »
It's been awfully quiet in here.....  :-X  I hope everyone gets out this week and enjoys some of this warm weather we're going to finally get.  Don't let staying inside become a routine.  Easy to do after a few weeks of couch surfing and trying to stay warm.  It's amazing how good you feel after a day on the ice, drilling holes, and shoveling snow......get out and get off your butts....Don't let cabin fever get you down.   ;)   :tipup:
<br />

Offline Team Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2009, 12:57 AM »
Any word on how Lake Louise is these days?  I'm heading out there tomorrow for 3 day weekend hoping to have fun with lakers.

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2009, 02:52 PM »
not even close to freezing temps in oregon. But I tell ya crappie fishing is good! The fishing scene, especially the salt water fishing here is much different than anything I have done in alaska. Surf perch, stripers, cabezone, ling cod. All from off the shore. Its kinda neat.... But I miss Alaska

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Are you wrestling at all? What college are you going to again? Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Hello from down south,

I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about Faribanks. I will be moving up from Montana there this summer to attend UAF.

My questions are:

Is there any area of fairbanks that I should not live ie. bad neighborhoods.

I have a chevy diesel for my vehicle and it has a block heater and battery blankets, is there anything else I should do to it. I am use to cold weather. It does occasionally get down to -40 here, but just not for long periods of time.

Thanks for your help.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:26 PM »

I have a chevy diesel for my vehicle and it has a block heater and battery blankets, is there anything else I should do to it. I am use to cold weather. It does occasionally get down to -40 here, but just not for long periods of time.

Thanks for your help.

Trade it in on a Dodge.   ;)
Bob

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I second the Dodge, Cummins are the only way to go.  If you have a chevy 6.2 or 6.5 your usually screwed at 20 above.

I don't know what part of Montana you're from, but I'd compare Fairbanks to a smaller Rapid City.  There are the good, the bad, and the ugly neighborhoods spread around town in about the same proportions.  It would take a while to come up with a list of each. You also have to watch out for hippies.

What part of Montana?  I grew up about 15 minutes from the border in SD, but I almost ended up at UAF myself.  But due to woman chasing I ended up at SDSU instead...

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Trade it in on a Dodge.   ;)

What he said!!! ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:26 PM »
You also have to watch out for hippies.

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:48 PM »

What part of Montana?  I grew up about 15 minutes from the border in SD, but I almost ended up at UAF myself.  But due to woman chasing I ended up at SDSU instead...
[/quote]

I grew up in Deer Lodge which is in the south west part of the state and have been in Bozeman for the last four years it is 100 miles to the west.

As for the Dodge I don't know if I could convert and I don't really like changing front end parts every 50,000 miles ;)

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:01 PM »
 You also have to watch out for hippies.
[/quote]

Just when I think that I am going to get away from all the subarus with the co-exist bumperstickers... you have to go and burst my bubble :'(.....I didn't know they could survive at that temp with shorts,  t-shirts and sandals.

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:37 AM »
I'm not going to deny it, I've already had to replace my front ball joints at 55,000.  A cummins might run for a million miles, but the rest of the pickup will be a pile of scrap by then.

There are more Subarus up here than you can shake a sanded, knotted, laquered walking stick at.  Quite frequently they'll be the slow a** in the passing lane with 8 dogs in the front of thier hatchback crawling all over their laps and hanging out every window.  They over-winter up here on granola, roots, "herbs", and smug.  Most are self-procliamed experts on everything that's wrong from fish to forests, and make sure everyone is aware of their endless knowledge.  I think their lack of bathing may even be the source of the air particulate pollution plume that hovers over Fairbanks.

Drifter - Do you have that shirt in a medium?  Maybe even a tie-die version?

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2010, 02:50 AM »
Fairbanks has no corner on the hippies. Working your way south, you will find enclaves in Talkeetna, Girdwood, and the hippie mecca of Alaska: Homer.

You are right. Hippies claim Alaska as their own and are self-proclaimed experts on everything about Alaska but actually killing fish and game. They prefer tofu patties and fillets.

The Subaru truly is the vehicle of choice for the hippies and their more upscale professional cousins the yuppies. It is a hoot to see them tool around in these vehicles, dogs hanging out of the windows, bumpers covered with peace and hope stickers. For being the tree huggers they are, it's amazing how many of their old subies are oil burners.
See you up the trail.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I'm not going to deny it, I've already had to replace my front ball joints at 55,000.  A cummins might run for a million miles, but the rest of the pickup will be a pile of scrap by then.

There are more Subarus up here than you can shake a sanded, knotted, laquered walking stick at.  Quite frequently they'll be the slow a** in the passing lane with 8 dogs in the front of thier hatchback crawling all over their laps and hanging out every window.  They over-winter up here on granola, roots, "herbs", and smug.  Most are self-procliamed experts on everything that's wrong from fish to forests, and make sure everyone is aware of their endless knowledge.  I think their lack of bathing may even be the source of the air particulate pollution plume that hovers over Fairbanks.

Drifter - Do you have that shirt in a medium?  Maybe even a tie-die version?

Here you go. Plenty to choose from.   ;D

http://www.zazzle.com/i_hate_hippies_tshirt-235852825171741739

http://www.zazzle.com/i+hate+hippies+tshirts

http://www.giftapolis.com/southparkshirt.html

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Ok Saint_Nick3

Welcome to the Alaska board and since you have been officially adopted by our gang of hippie Haters or HHr's I will give you the skinny dreadlocks free version!

Fairbanks...is hippy central and we dispatch all the hippies to other compounds with Homer, Talkeetna and Girdwood being outposts and Anchorage is the place they just seem to disappear! Fairbanks is home to the original "Hippie Chick..that would be like your grandma's age. Scary thought I know but it's true. Stay away from Ester, on the west side of Fairbanks, it's like a hippie village and most people just drive the Parks hwy right past it on their way to Denali. Speaking of Denali which by the way is where a vast majority of the hippies migrate to in the summer, like a pilgrimage to reconnect to mother earth and make money for granola and dog food to survive the winter!

Okay places to avoid living or frequenting to maintain your outdoorsman status, Ester,west fairbanks around UAF, west Fred Meyrs in the organic area, college coffe house, The Marlin Bar, Gullivers books, Beaver Sports. Places to avoid if you wish to stay alive, South Cushman like anything past 23rd ave, Gold Heart Estates over by Sourdough Sams restaurant...good place to eat though and the rest we will point out at a later time.

Real men live out in North Pole where the men aremanly and the women carry guns and know how to use them!

As for the Chevy ...Welcome fellow DURMAXer! I can say that yes many people on here know that I have had some problems without it and with the money I put into should have sold it for something else but I won't give up my new Ranchhand 400lb bumper :flex:. Other than the fact that I need front end work like ball joints both upper and lower, idler arm, inner and outer tie rods and some say to change the control arms too...that's it. If I were you I would get rid of the battery blanket..cause fires and have a four way electrical block put up on the firewall for the following...block heater, you already have, battery trickle charger, and oil pan and tranny heater pads.

Not much else to add except you will have to see and experience it for yourself! Be glad you are coming up in the summer!

Tight Lines

Brad

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Thanks for the help Fishin Fireman.

When I get closer to moving I will be looking for a place in North Pole.

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:09 PM »

Real men live out in North Pole where the men are manly and the women carry guns and know how to use them!

Brad
+1

If at all possible bring your own woman up here.  In Alaska you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn. :%$#!:

Interior AK is a chubby chaser's dream  :sick:

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:06 PM »
They're good for keeping you warm in the winter and shade in the summer!!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:33 PM »
They're good for keeping you warm in the winter and shade in the summer!!

And they didn't get that way because they can't cook!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:05 AM »
+1

If at all possible bring your own woman up here.  In Alaska you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn. :%$#!:

Interior AK is a chubby chaser's dream  :sick:
Amen to that.  When I moved up here a few years ago I made sure I was engaged so she couldn't run away.  What do they say the odds are good but the goods are odd.  Hey guys I might end up working in Delta this year I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on a cheap place to live that would accept pets.  I am on a budget so I cannot afford those great Delta 5 star accommodations.  Fishing access is always a plus and I think I would break my budget for a place on the clearwater
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.