Author Topic: Western Filament line...  (Read 2594 times)

Brian.j

Western Filament line...
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 11:40 AM »
Hi to you all...

Well, first off I'm an English carp angler.  
What has that got to do with Ice fishing I hear you cry...
Well, exchange of information is always helpful between anglers, whatever your style of fishing, so here goes...

I've recently seen the Western filament website and have seen that they make a Teflon coated fishing line and also a vinyl coated line.  I've looked for reviews on the 'net, with no luck so I'm asking you guys as these lines are made for ice fishing.

So, what are your experiences of using these lines?

Do they have good abrasion resistance?
Better than 'Spiderwire' or 'Power Pro' ??

Do they comfortably lay on the spool of the reel? Springy or supple ?

Any feedback on these products would be of great help to me..

One last question...Do you guys ever catch Carp ??

Many thanks and tight 'ice' lines.. ;D

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:Western Filament line...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2003, 12:39 PM »
Brian
I am not firmiliar with the Weasern Filament Product.  I have used a teflon coated tip up line before (a heavly coated dacron line).  It was way way to heavy for me.
I have seen 2 carp taken through the ice here in NY, not a very common occurance.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Brian.j

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2003, 12:57 PM »
Hi Dogfish

I don't know if I can post a link but here goes:

http://users.acsol.net/~wfi/fish-nylon.html

This is the stuff...

GatorSlayer

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2003, 02:28 PM »
I have never used the vinyl coated line personally, but have seen it used first hand by my brother. We both thought it was junk. It only lasted on the spool one trip before he ripped it off and changed back to the regular nylon braided line. However, the regualar braided line works good for ice fishing. I'm not sure if it has the same resistance as Power Pro, tough to beat that. I think this line has some stretch in it, unlike Power Pro which has none, so it's all about your preferences. The regular braided line is pretty much the same as Cortland's Musky Master (if you are fimiliar with that). I actually transfered my old muskie line to my tip ups after I made the switch from Cortland to Power Pro, and I cannot tell the difference between the tip ups with the Cortland or the other tip up line (Mason's or WM). The line lies good on my tip ups as well as my muskie reels, it has virtually no memory, so it's not "springy" at all. The only thing I don't care for about the line is the "flatness" of the line promotes twisting a bit more than normal circular form of mono or Power Pro.

These are just my experiences, you may want to try it out for yourself as it's not that expensive of a line like Power Pro.

Brian.j

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Hi GatorSlayer

thanks for the feedback.
Having not seen this line 'in the flesh' as it were, I wasn't aware it had a 'Flat' profile.  
That's bad news for me I'm afraid as I may have to reel in 400 yards of line to retrive a carp bait from the water, the lead spinning away as it's retrived!

I guess I'll have to keep trawling the 'net in search of a highly abrasion resistant 'round' profile line.  

Any sugestions apart from PowerPro...?

GatorSlayer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2003, 03:38 PM »
You may want to consider Fireline. It has a slight plastic coating that gives the line somewhat of an oval profile but after a few days of use it wears off and becomes more flexible and more rounded. I'm not real familiar with the newer super lines Spiderwire has released, so you might want to check those out if you haven't already.

Just a suggestion about the twisting lead you use, you may want to invest in quality ball-bearing swivels and attach just about your lead. Sampo makes some of the best on the market.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2003, 04:32 PM »
I've used Ht line,which western filiment is similar which I believe is plastic coated and haven't any problems for over 10 years, in fact just ordered 10 spools to refill.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:48 AM »
Brian
Went to the website.  The vinal coated stuff tho a different make looks like the same stuff I tried and it kind of sucked.  Now the teflon coated stuff  may be worth a look?  They do have a good selection of different lbs sizes.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2003, 10:54 PM »
Western Filament Tuff Line XP is the best fishing line out there in my opinion. Power Pro, Fireline, Spiderwire, Whisplash, none of them compare. I use 80 lb for muskies. I fished probobly 100 days last year and 40 this year. I still have the same line on the reels. It is tough. Its almost indestructible. It wont' break. It will bend the hook if you snag but the line wont' break. I don't even retie it often. Maybe once in 20 trips I'll retie the line. Its really that tough. Its also very smooth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.