Author Topic: Genz Stix......  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
Genz Stix......
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Anyone have any experience with these? Ive been looking at them lately and for $32cnd they seem like a pretty nice unit.The over sized spool seems like a good idea but does it really cut down on line curling?
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Genz Stix......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:51 AM »
The only thing I have ever had cause that is twisting of the line. I have some pretty small diameter spools on my reels.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:27 PM »
I've heard the rods are pretty nice, but the reels could be better.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:50 PM »
The genz stix rods are very nice, however the reels arent good at all. I bought 2 gold series combos last year when they were on sale and was very disapointed with the reals on them, ended up taking one back and getting an okuma reel for the other one. The okuma reel and genz rod work really well though, i like the rods themselves alot.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 02:04 PM »
I bought a 23UL Bluegill Gold Series and a 28M Walleye Gold Series a year or two ago and used them just a few times and the anti-reverse works itermitently.  Does anyone know if they stand behind these reels?  Free replacement or? 

Kinda a waste of money to buy a 30 dollar combo and the reels dont work!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:21 PM »
The Gold series rods are among my favourite for 'eyes... the rod is definitely higher quality than the reel.  In fact, I've sold all mine on eBay 'cause the drag on them is garbage... works sometimes, locks up other times... 2 years ago they replaced all my reels with last year's models after I sent them an email regarding the drag issues.  The customer service from Nature Vision is great - nice to know they actually care about what they sell and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.  Except that JIG UP - who ever invented this thing has never spent a minute in a cold Canadian winter before... alkaline batteries and Chinese plastic are no match for sub-z temps... plus it wouldn't always fire...

Don

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I emailed them today so hopefully I have the same luck as you did and they replace my reels.  Beings I only used them a few times last season. :)

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:58 PM »
If they're black in colour you should have no problem... the anodized gold ones are the redesigns which supposedly fixed the drag problems... they still sucked IMO and I unloaded them.  They'd still make a great reel for 'gills but anything you have to fight to the hole will destroy these things...

Don

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I bought two of the new genz stix this year, I bought the stand up rod, as well as Heavy rod for eye, we will see how the reels hold up this year

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:18 PM »
They are better ones out there.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Unfortunately I have to agree with the general opinion expressed here.  The rod is great but the drag on the reel is terrible.  I ended up replacing them.
Travis

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:27 AM »
I emailed them almost 5 days ago and they still havent responded on my reels. :(

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:23 AM »
I've found that alot of the bargin "combos" out there typically have a great rod but, the reels leave alot to be desired. I think they are just looking to make the money on the rod and throw the reel in for free. I've picked a few of the bargins up before and thought that it was a sweet looking outfit for a good price. Only to stand there in the store and play with the reel and relize it was a pice of junk on an otherwise decent rod.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:55 AM »
I'm going to echo the popular theme on these. Reels are junk but the rods are fantastic!
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2007, 08:18 AM »
I have 2 of these.  After returning one, I carefully inspected the reel on its replacement.  Several on the ones on the shelf either had a bad spot (you could feel this while cranking it) or the drag didn't sound right when you would twist it.  My suggestion would be to carefully check it out at the store.
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Reels are pretty much junk ,the rods are ok but find one that all the eyes line up,all my buddies broke the tips off the 23 inch UL last year.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:18 AM »
I find it funny about these reels that their big push last year on them was that they have an oversized spool on them to help with kinking of your line.  Sounded like a really good concept and i know we have all complained about line kinks when using smaller lures.  People started to buy/use their combos and it is pretty much like every one before has said.  Great rod; reel is a POS.  Their anti-reverse doesnt always work and the drag sucks.

This year's model they have changed the handle by making them smaller and having a tappered edge where it meets the blank.  Then you look at the reels they put on them.  Supposedly having a larger spool was their big sell; go ahead a pick one of this year's model up and tell me that it is no different then any other manufacturers reel spool?

Like so, so many have stated on this thread.  It would be great if they just sold the rod and not the reel.  I would buy one of the rods if they sold it alone.  In fact i really do like the rods i was tinkering with at the St Paul icefishing show.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Go to e-bay; there are many Genz-stix in a variety of sizes for sale.

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:03 PM »
i have one LOVE IT THAY ARE NICE NICE RODS :)
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline mjbmxz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Holy balls it's gonna pull us through the ice!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I had one of the Silver Series Combos, like said above, it had a shakey reverse that'd give out.  I e-mailed them and told them of my problems, next day they asked if they could send a new one, I of course accepted it.  I didn't have to send them my broken one, and they sent me one and even upgraded the reel to the Gold Series.  So far I like now.
Just Jiggle it, Jiggle It  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.