Author Topic: ICE HOLE SAVER  (Read 4948 times)

J_Lake

ICE HOLE SAVER
« on: Feb 11, 2003, 06:17 PM »
Anyone with info. on the inflatable tube, used to prevent
ice hole freeze-up?  Pro's?   Con's?

Info. on availability and pricing will be appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

iceman670

Re: ICE HOLE SAVER
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2003, 06:56 PM »
I been told by some old-timers that a little rubbing alcohal in the hole will keep it open. I have not tryed this but it sounds like it could work. Also cheep

RonP

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
Re:Ice Hole Saver
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:59 PM »
try the old time inflatable tube it's called a balloon

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:14 AM »
Heard a couple oulandish ideas about how to do this last year.....
One was to paint a couple ping pong balls black and float them in your hole. If the temp is colder than 20 degrees and the wind blows snow and ice into your hole, I just can't see this being the best method.
I just don't have the same problems as the hardcore northerners I guess!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:05 PM »
The ice can't get to thick were you are. I also have heard if you can or do fish in a shack is to put down a piece of insulation and cover it with plywood. but up here when it's real cold the hole will freeze from the middle up. the ice here get's so thick that my 3 hp jiffy will bottom out before it cuts through, for times like that I need an extention

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:06 AM »
In our area, we do as the commercial fishermen do, a piece of plywood over the hole, banked up with snow.  Works like a charm.  There is some minor edge cleanup, but the hole is open.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2003, 06:48 AM »
If you are talking about freeze up in an ice shanty (don't want to redrill due to ice chips/water/fumes from power auger ect) I read (maybe here?) about someone that took a stovepipe and soldered a cover on one end and would jamb this into the hole when they left,(ummm maybe something on top to weight it down into the hole further?) It would freeze in so ..I believe he then would take some crumpled paper put it into the pipe and would light it,..he said to be careful because sometimes this would come out FAST,..you might look into the past posts on this and you might get better instructions.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2003, 07:46 AM »
WHew, there for a minute I was tthinking the only ice hole saver I knew about was one of the flotation suits to keep your body up if you happen to go in the drink. Glad you guys cleared that one up for me.
 :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.