Author Topic: Panoptix ice bundle run time?  (Read 6578 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panoptix ice bundle run time?
« on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I’ve never had a power issue with the 12Ah battery, but my soft water sessions have been limited to about 8hrs. It is not uncommon for me to stay on the ice 12hrs+, battery performance is degraded in cold temps, and I’m a little concerned that a single 12Ah will not be enough battery. Has anyone measured the run time while ice fishing?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix ice bundle run time?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I only just got mine a month ago, so I’m interested in this info as well. I was planning on getting the lithium battery but those are 10ah vs the 12 that comes with the unit.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I'm testing the battery overnight. Fully charged 12Ah, running simulator on DownVu at 100% backlight.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I think to be an accurate test for draw, you need the ducer connected and sonar on.  From what I understand the ducer is what causes the higher amp draw.  I ran my echomap plus 73 with Bluetooth and wifi on for probably 6+ hrs and it only lowered the voltage of my sla 12ah battery by .2 volts.  What I need to do is get the LiveScope connected and running and see how fast it drops.  I should figure out how to check the amp use with my volt/amp meter.  There will also be a variation of amps drawn by the ducer... Garmin rep told me this but wasnt exactly sure what creates this variation.  It says in specs 21w typical with 58w max....for LiveScope. The panoptix ducer says 48w for her but the ice bundle says 6.2w for  consumption.  So I don't know...it's all pretty confusing.
]

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:08 AM »
The battery died sometime during the night. All I can say definitively is that the battery lasted over 4hrs, but less than 11hrs.
Echomap chirp 73cv
PS22-TR
Backlight 100%
Running DownVu (simulator off)
12V 12Ah AGM battery

So, for my purposes (12hr+), I’m going to need to carry a 2nd battery. I have several 12Ah AGMs, but at 8LBs each, I’m considering moving to a pair of 10Ah lithium.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Good to know, thank you for running the test. I’m going to be using mine in my boat today, I’m using the mount from the “ice stick” on my trolling motor. Since the trolling motor is all I have for my mini bass boat, I’ve decided I’m going to get another trolling motor transom bracket and use the ice stick in it so I can pan around without changing directions.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:47 AM »
The battery died sometime during the night. All I can say definitively is that the battery lasted over 4hrs, but less than 11hrs.
Echomap chirp 73cv
PS22-TR
Backlight 100%
12V 12Ah AGM battery

So, for my purposes (12hr+), I’m going to need to carry a 2nd battery. I have several 12Ah AGMs, but at 8LBs each, I’m considering moving to a pair of 10Ah lithium.

Get 2 dakota lithium and wire them in parallel for a 5# 20aH battery setup!  Another thing to consider is that you're likely not going to have your backlight set to 100%.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2018, 04:30 PM »
That tr-22 alone draws I believe 1.2 amps per hour

Per the manual- PS22 max continuous power draw is 8watts, which at 12v is 0.66amps. The Echomap CHIRP Plus 73cv draws 15w max and says 9w with the standard GT52 ducer, so probably around 0.8amps. Total would be around 1.4amps/hr if the 73cv was at average draw and the ps22 at max the whole time (which wouldn't be the case).

I also found this graphic in the ice bundle manual online:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Echomap chirp 73cv
PS22-TR
Backlight 100%
12V 12Ah AGM battery

By the way, did you have the standard ice ducer turned on or off during this test. I noticed you have to go into the settings and manually turn it off.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I fished from my kayak yesterday and the lead acid 12v 12Ah was still going after 9hrs. It was sunny, and I was using the backlight set at 90% for most of that time.

I just ordered this power bank that is listed as having 144Wh, which is the same as the 12v 12Ah lead acid in the ice kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-38000mAh-Portable-Refrigerator-Activities/dp/B0791XHF64

I still don’t think that it will be sufficient for the amount of time I typically stay out on the ice, but if I get similar run-time as the 12Ah lead acid, I will probably go with the 266Wh for use on the ice.

The power necessary to run this unit is a hassle, but…..
The more I use Panoptix the more that I’m impressed. I’m able to get such a better understanding of the bottom contour and structure. I was vertical jigging yesterday using a 5mm tungsten jig and little atom. No problem viewing the jig in 30 FOW in the kayak on a windy day. It has always been a challenge to keep a jig in the cone with traditional sonar. It is so MUCH easier with the all-seeing Panoptix. Even just using down view, you can search a lot of water (I think I was getting at least a 20’ radius in 30 FOW). It is a blast in the kayak…turn the bow to get the strongest return of the school, paddle in their direction, drop the jig right above the school, and set the hook when you see them hit. The value of being able to see the horizontal contents of the entire cone can simply not be over emphasized….amazing!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:29 PM »
It literally adds a whole new dimension to our favorite video game!

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:01 PM »
For those running Panoptix you might want to check out Energized Outdoors. I'll post a link. https://energizedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery
20 amp battery for less than $150.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.