Author Topic: tip up mods  (Read 4641 times)

Offline ADKBIGBEN

• IceShanty Rookie
tip up mods
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:47 PM »
hey guys im thinking about modifying my heritages with some bigger more visible flags and a fancy camp paint job ...just want to see what you guys do to modify/customize your tip ups  :tipup:....thanks in advance ....HAPPY FISHING :icefish:
may the beer be cold and your lines be tight

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up mods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Run a drill through it and bolt the reel on, best thing you can do to a Heritage trap.

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:05 PM »
X2 on upgrading the reel stud to a through bolt.  Also filing the trigger a hair for a light trip,  putting a dab of epoxy to hold the FLAG dowel in.  I stained mine and put 3 coats of spar varnish on.  I stained my boys traps different colors so they know who's trap is who.  You can go to a fabric shop or canvas shop/upholstery shop for flag material.
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Go to Wallyworld and buy a flour orange deer-hunting vest, the one made from a slick oil-cloth type material. Cut out the flags and goop-glue them to the shaft.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:12 AM »
I have Jacks so there's not much needed from a modification point.  However, I have epoxied in a small eye screw on the ones that I use for pike and/or deepwater lakers.  I will then attach a planer board release that I've rigged to a ball bearing swivel so that I have increased resistance, without having to shorten the flag, for bigger baits or the heavier weights needed in deepwater current.  I prefer this method over making an adjustable drag as that increased resistance is needed only until the bite happens and then the reel can be as free moving as it normally is so as not to disturb the fish when it runs. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I've owned my 12 Heritage Laker tip-ups since 1993.   I am pretty hard on my gear, and these traps did show quite a bit of wear.  Some of the brass axles were bent, the zinc coated bolts and wing-nuts were rusted and corroded, spools were loud when spun, the flag rod holders were bent and loose, flag springs were damaged, cross pieces warped a little…you get the picture.   There was nothing that would render them inoperative, just battle tested, worn and proven from years of hard service.

I completely tore each tip up down, removing every piece of hardware.  I then sanded each piece of wood until they were silky smooth.  Wood burned my first initial and last name into the top cross piece.  My two sons have the same first initial, so they won’t need reworking when they are handed down.   I stained six of them one color and the other six a different color.  I then triple coated all of them with a spar urethane.  I replaced all the hardware with stainless steel and added washers and lock washers.  I sanded/filed the lip off on the trip mechanism.  The flag holder and trip pieces were originally held on with spiral nails, I replaced those with stainless wood screws. 

The brass axles that were originally pressed into the wood were what I considered to be a design flaw.  They all pulled out semi-easily when I was removing hardware from the traps.  Although I never lost a spool, I had heard the stories, and could see it happening.   I replaced the brass with a polished stainless steel rod, which I had threaded on both ends.  I put a dab of epoxy in the hole and screwed the new axle in until it bottomed out.   It won’t fall off now!   Added new nylon spacers and washers, got rid of the star drag and just added a lock nut to secure the spool with the desired tension.   I couldn’t find a stainless lock wing-nut, so I settled for just a lock nut.   The spools spin like they are on a well lubed bearing now, way better than new.
Cleaned up the flag springs, and changed the flag material from orange to fluorescent lime green.  I added some new reflective material to the top of the trap to give them a unique look.  Now when I hear “FLAAAAAAG”, I’ll be able to tell if it is one of mine almost instantly.

They look absolutely awesome IMO.  I’m pretty sure they would have lasted my lifetime the way they were.  I’ve just made them so they will last for my sons’ lifetimes as well.  I'll try to take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I've owned my 12 Heritage Laker tip-ups since 1993.   I am pretty hard on my gear, and these traps did show quite a bit of wear.  Some of the brass axles were bent, the zinc coated bolts and wing-nuts were rusted and corroded, spools were loud when spun, the flag rod holders were bent and loose, flag springs were damaged, cross pieces warped a little…you get the picture.   There was nothing that would render them inoperative, just battle tested, worn and proven from years of hard service.

I completely tore each tip up down, removing every piece of hardware.  I then sanded each piece of wood until they were silky smooth.  Wood burned my first initial and last name into the top cross piece.  My two sons have the same first initial, so they won’t need reworking when they are handed down.   I stained six of them one color and the other six a different color.  I then triple coated all of them with a spar urethane.  I replaced all the hardware with stainless steel and added washers and lock washers.  I sanded/filed the lip off on the trip mechanism.  The flag holder and trip pieces were originally held on with spiral nails, I replaced those with stainless wood screws. 

The brass axles that were originally pressed into the wood were what I considered to be a design flaw.  They all pulled out semi-easily when I was removing hardware from the traps.  Although I never lost a spool, I had heard the stories, and could see it happening.   I replaced the brass with a polished stainless steel rod, which I had threaded on both ends.  I put a dab of epoxy in the hole and screwed the new axle in until it bottomed out.   It won’t fall off now!   Added new nylon spacers and washers, got rid of the star drag and just added a lock nut to secure the spool with the desired tension.   I couldn’t find a stainless lock wing-nut, so I settled for just a lock nut.   The spools spin like they are on a well lubed bearing now, way better than new.
Cleaned up the flag springs, and changed the flag material from orange to fluorescent lime green.  I added some new reflective material to the top of the trap to give them a unique look.  Now when I hear “FLAAAAAAG”, I’ll be able to tell if it is one of mine almost instantly.

They look absolutely awesome IMO.  I’m pretty sure they would have lasted my lifetime the way they were.  I’ve just made them so they will last for my sons’ lifetimes as well.  I'll try to take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.

Dang, sounds like you went and made yourself a set of Jack Traps.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:26 PM »

sounds great buddy, now catch some lakers

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:59 AM »
sounds great buddy, now catch some lakers

It's early yet  ;)

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Go to Wallyworld and buy a flour orange deer-hunting vest, the one made from a slick oil-cloth type material. Cut out the flags and goop-glue them to the shaft.
you can get flour. duct tape now I picked up a roll and redid all my flags with it works great

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:41 AM »
Some good tips!

WS

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:17 AM »
On all my traps with the little split rings, Moosehead/Lifetime/JT, I used a little JB weld to cement the little ring to the spring steel, makes it ALOT easier to set the traps with Bifocals and frozen fingers!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:49 AM »
you can get flour. duct tape now I picked up a roll and redid all my flags with it works great

What's wrong with the originals?

http://www.heritagetraps.com/0509.html
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »
It's early yet  ;)
time (was) is now