Author Topic: homemade jigging rod/tip-up  (Read 3998 times)

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
homemade jigging rod/tip-up
« on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:54 AM »
In the mid-90's (I think) in-fisherman had an article on making a self-setting jigging rod/tip-up. I ended up making one back then and came across this picture of it yesterday and thought I'd share. It was cheap to build and if I remember right it worked ok and I used it for a number of years as that picture was from a 2001 trip. I don't have it anymore so I can't take any other photo's or measurements. But basically the vertical board has a small hinge at the bottom, and a piece of black elastic runs from the main board to the top of the vertical board. On top of the vertical piece is a small screw eye with a large split ring, like from a key chain.  To set it you bend the rod and placed the split ring over one of the eyes. When a fish hit it pulled the rod down just enough that the split ring slid off and the rod would jerk up setting the hook. The elastic then pulled the board down, as it was no longer under pressure.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: homemade jigging rod/tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:32 AM »
That early design provoked thought and the evolution of hook-setters into the finely tuned triggers like the successful and portable JawJacker.    ;)2
And now, the AK SalmonBear.    Hm?

:icefish:

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:36 AM »
It is always fun to come make something and then catch fish. Here is what I made.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Cool video and neat idea.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Cool video and neat idea.
That (Hm?) above leads to more that you may think.     ;)2

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads ups I didn't click on it before. That looks like a good product.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads ups I didn't click on it before. That looks like a good product.

Thanks B&B.    :thumbsup: :bow:     I think if you're more handy than hansom, you could roll yer own.    ;)2

Even without the help of RedGreen.     :roflmao:

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:10 AM »
The setup that bassandbucks1 showed was sold commercially in Michigan as "The Slammer".  They sold the complete setup or a kit where you supplied the wood.  I don't know if they are still sold.  I have two and use them when the temps are near or above freezing.  I could probably figure out a hole cover to keep the hole open in colder weather but I'm lazy.  Use them for pike and they work great.  Almost always hook the fish and  it's a blast to fight them with a rod.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I used the one I had for pike as well, and that was the one issue I had with it was it was hard to use on freezing days. I got away from using tip-ups for awhile and did mostly jigging but I'm starting to do more tip-up or tip/down fishing again so may have to build another one just for fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.