The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Brook trout  (Read 2643 times)

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Brook trout
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Hi all... with way too much leave on the books and high hopes for a good ice year I hope to spend lots of time on the hard water. One of my most favorite fish has always been the brook trout. Has anyone  of you ever caught one via ice fishing in Vermont? Would like to cross it off my bucket list so if you have please share some vague details. It appears that most waters that I fish for them are closed in the winter months..thanks ... good luck this year, be safe and let's all cross our fingers for an early and long hard water season.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Brook trout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Find some waters that hold brookies and are open to ice fishing. Fish fairly shallow in 4-5 feet and set up in front on brooks that flow into the water body. Obviously wait for good ice before going in front of water running into an area .

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:58 PM »
x2 Check the state fish and wildlife page on which lakes are being stocked with brookies.
State stocks a lot of lake trout water with brookies which feed on them like candy.
NH has quite a few brookie lakes open to ice fishing unlike VT.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Harriman Reservoir in Southern Vermont will give up brookies during ice season. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Pensioner Pond on the Clyde River near Island Pond is known to provide some nice brookies.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I've found them a few times hanging out down deep in Champlain. They are not common, but they exist. Waterbury Reservoir has some too.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I've seen a couple on the NY side under docks, they were on bottom near rocks, hanging near baitfish. Probably spooked to see me walking by. Early spring time.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I've found them a few times hanging out down deep in Champlain. They are not common, but they exist. Waterbury Reservoir has some too.

Really?? Never heard of anyone getting them outta Champ till now. Always wondered if there were a few in there though. Any size to them?

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Really?? Never heard of anyone getting them outta Champ till now. Always wondered if there were a few in there though. Any size to them?

I've gotten them in the 20 inch range, which is big for a brookie. They act a lot like Lake trout and hang out in the same places. The few I've gotten were less colorful than their fast-water brethren, but unmistakable, and they taste way better than the lakers they might be laying next to on the bottom.

I suspect that just about any cold water body in the region probably has at least a few, given that they exist in the waterways feeding them.

It may be the way I usually go after lakers that has put me into them. I'm using spoons (little cleos and big red+whites) and jigging them off the bottom. It puts me over specific hot spots and allows me to stir up the really lazy ones that are likely to sit there and watch the trolled baits go by.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:13 AM »
My PB brookie came out of a Central Vermont pond on a 3/8 oz spinner bait fishing for largies.
We have good cold water on a lot of our lakes and ponds and can show up least expecting it.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Magog also has them catch them sometimes on the west shore in the fall trolling.
I've seen them 14-16".
Not common though.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.