The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fun time during and after  (Read 941 times)

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Fun time during and after
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Hi all, just joined the forum and looking forward to a good time this year on the ice. As I get older I start to think more about my safety when I do things. Was wondering what you all think is "essential " to have with you while ice fishing. .... That is in terms of safety equipment.. Got warm clothing, ice picks and a rope... What else makes sense to bring??  I know for some it's a designated driver!!😉

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Fun time during and after
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty 1023ice! As far as being safe on the ice goes, I think Common Sense is key. A good spud could be helpful on late and early season ice. Good luck out there.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2015, 05:49 AM »
A spud and ice picks are good early and late as mentioned .Don't forget some creepers for when the ice is bare  so you don't crack your noggin !

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Rope tied to a float if you are not alone.

Picks.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Spud to check the ice and picks that stay around your neck are a must. Also included in my sled is a small first did aid kit that includes aspirin, gauze, and the basics to aid in the basics but in the case of aspirin it could be life saving. Small signally device like a whistle is nice to. Also a small compass. I like the small pin-on ones that go in your jacket. Only had to use it once, thankfully.

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions ! It's been a long time since I've been icefishing and as I read all the suggestions I can remember a time when all those items were needed. Saw a guy open up his hand on an auger blade... Used a less Then clean handkerchief to keep him from beading to death before he got to the hospital. Creepers... Yup, got to get a pair... And actually use them even when they don't seem necessary.... More bad memories :o Compas, great idea... Years ago I got caught in a snowstorm while fishing the inland sea, visibility was less than 100' and with the wind swirling I had no sense of direction, fortunately it passed and the shore became visible.  Also remember being nearly blind for two days after spending a sunny day on the ice without sunglasses . Then there were the late season fishing sun burned face episode ... Who thinks of sun tan lotion in the winter? I got a lot to get before I go out ... But sadly I think Mother Nature is going to allow me a few weeks based on the warm weather .

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I have my kids wear insulated helmets.  They play rough and the ice unforgiving.

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Ha ha !! I don't know if your kidding but I do recal " full contact tip up fishing" first one to get to the flag ownes it..! Seamed like a good idea at the time!

Now kids, please don't do this... Learn from your elders mistakes!

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Rope tied to a float if you are not alone.

Picks.

I like to use a boat cushion with a rope, one of the cheap square ones, it's comfortable to sit on and a throwable PFD if needed.

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Another good tip... Thanks.. A boat cushion is practical and could save a life.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Welcome to the shanty.. its a great place
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Thank you wiggle. It's such a unique sport that people of all types can easly enjoy ... I Just need to relearn the where when what and how. I look forward to getting back out there as well as learning and sharing some tips on the forum.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.