The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Hole Covers  (Read 1620 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Hole Covers
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Anyone have experience using the ice hole covers?   Did you make your own, seems like round rubber cover would work great and be cheap.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
Re: Ice Hole Covers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:59 PM »
They work great if you use them right and if you are a tip up fisherman i would definitely use them. I am surprised how many people don't use them .. I don't use them because the tip up  :tipup: i use are frabill polars and they are insulated , and i used them on very extremely cold days and my holes never froze.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I love the ones I have from Kittery Trading Post.  Definitely worth the few bucks each.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I made my own out of really heavy black rubber mattes. I don't use them alot but they are nice on cold days when the sun is out . Helps keep them somewhat ice free. Also use them once in a while on my trout holes to see if they bit any better which they didn't. Heard that if you could block the light the trout would not be spooked as much. Not saying it doesn't work ,i didn't see any difference.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I use them and made my own from 1 camper mat from walley world..

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:18 PM »
I made some last year from some thin ribbed floor matt material.
Used the gasket cutter from work to cut them out. They look real nice but they didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
I think using heavier material would have been better.
I hear the foam ones work well for some people in my area so I may try and make some of those sometime.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kaos12fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Other than keeping your holes from freezing over, do these actually improve catch rates?  I fish mainly for notherns with my tipups, and had heard a few mixed reports as to their effect.  On days when the ice is covered in snow, does this open source of light spook fish off at all?

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:21 PM »
i fish northerns as well and I don't think it adds anything to the bite.... but nice to have a ice free hole

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:42 PM »
ui used them all last season and my trout numbers declined very rapidly ... i think the light the hole lets in helps the trout locate the bait ..... tho i have nothing to suport this but seemed like when i didnt use them i had a bunch of flags and when i did hardly any
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I think it all depends on the situation. I leave slush in my holes at times to keep the holes dark and so the fish can't see me moving; especially in shallow water. Mostly, I think a hole cover would be to make our fishing easier. No one wants a jagged edge when pulling a fish in after breaking the ice out.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I've used them since they banned alcohol in the holes. My first ones were black rubber,which worked almost too good. I've seen sunny days where they would melt an inch or more down into the ice. The ones I use now are made out of double foil bubble insulation They work great. I can go a whole day without skimming a hole, and they don't weigh much more than a pound for the whole set.   :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Gee, wouldn't you think, just cutting up some rubber mats, and placing them around your tip-ups, would work, on keeping your tip-ups, from freezing over the drilled holes, which, would save you some money?  I wished I had some on Sunday, as my Sister, said we will just use my Dads, 4" Gas Auger to drill our holes!  Well, by a few hours, they were 2" holes, ha, ha, ha.  I had to get my 8" Auger repaired, due to my Nephew, pulling the cord on it, and it broke, Saturday morning.  Got the Auger back yesterday, with a new cord, pulley and had the chipper blade sharpened. ;)

Offline srobat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Try armaflex pipe insulation. You can get it at Homans in Williston. It comes in A 4'x4' sheet. Just cut your own circles. 1 inch thickness works the best!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I made 12 out of 1 camper mat

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I have several of the foam covers and they have worked great. I also use them to kneel on at times when the ice surface is rough...saves these old knees!!!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Try armaflex pipe insulation. You can get it at Homans in Williston. It comes in A 4'x4' sheet. Just cut your own circles. 1 inch thickness works the best!

How much are the mats?

A friend of mine bought some foam mats for around $6 ea. and they work great.  While I'm clearing holes, he's jigging for more perch.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I think it was under 10 bucks but I made them 4 years ago so could be more now.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I've used them since they banned alcohol in the holes. My first ones were black rubber,which worked almost too good. I've seen sunny days where they would melt an inch or more down into the ice. The ones I use now are made out of double foil bubble insulation They work great. I can go a whole day without skimming a hole, and they don't weigh much more than a pound for the whole set.   :tipup:

I will never try anything but what fishnmachine speaks of!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:30 PM »
our local bait shops sell pre-made ones for about $3.00 apiece. very well worth it for keeping snow out of the holes and preventing the hole from freezing over.

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:11 AM »
i used the cardboard circles from those cheap frozen pizzas..not very durable, but they work good.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:24 AM »

I made a bunch from a 1/2 thick closed cell camping mat from a big box store. Work good for keeping the snow out of your hole on those blowing snow days. Not sure if they help or hinder with the bite. I only use them when conditions make them helpful. I made a 10" circle out of 1/4 inch plywood to use as a pattern, marked them out on the mat and cut them out. drilled a hole in the center and cut a slit. I made mine that size so they would fit into a five gallon pail. They will blow away if you take them off the tip up and lay the m on the ice. :tipup:

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Dave b
how many hole covers did you get out of one mat? i bet it was cheaper then buying the ones on line that usually run about 7-10 a piece.

Another piece of info on these hole covers that some people are leaving out is that you need seal them up around the sides with the slushy snow from the hole , this will help from the hole from freezing up , because it will trap out the cold air and don't be afraid to put a little slush snow on top of the hole cover on a windy day to prevent from blowing around.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:51 AM »
when i Tip up fish which is not that often but these are tip up i have used for about 15 years and they work awesome. On cold days i don't have to worry about my holes freezing up and worrying about chipping out a hole and cutting my line with my chipper .
See below

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 AM »
BigWiggle I think I got 14 out of that mat.  For 6-8 bucks it was a good deal. I took my pattern and marked the out and cut them out with scissors. The mat was a little over 20" x 60" I think. I like your tip about packing a little slush around the edge, the snow will find any little gap and get in when it is blowing.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:37 AM »
BigWiggle I think I got 14 out of that mat.  For 6-8 bucks it was a good deal. I took my pattern and marked the out and cut them out with scissors. The mat was a little over 20" x 60" I think. I like your tip about packing a little slush around the edge, the snow will find any little gap and get in when it is blowing.

Wow  :woot: That is allot .. you definitely saved a bundle by making your own.. where do you get the Mat at Home Depot???

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Walmart
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.