Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377579 times)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #480 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:22 PM »

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #481 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I love wheels.  I used pneumatic (air filled) on mine.  We don't always have snow on the ground before we get to the lake.

Nice sled
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #482 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I thought I was the only person who used calving sleds for ice fishing  ;D.  I saw page one and almost spit my drink.  We've had ours for ~15 years (albeit I've made a few mods to them  ;D) and in all that time I never saw another on the ice.  Here are mine linked in tandem with a hitch I rigged up.

Offline JoshR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #483 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Had some time over the weekend to mod my sled a little bit. I made a PVC frame and attached it to the sled with eye hooks. That way I can use bungees to attach things. The rod holder in the back still needs to be painted, but it is removable so that the sled can fit in my Ford Taurus. I covered the PVC in Plasti Dip, so we'll see how well it holds up. I'm optimistic!

Here it is empty:

And full:

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #484 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Had to modify my sled(see page 24). The tub I made out of alum had a textured finish to it. Wound up being a place for the ice and snow to freeze to. I had some clear vinyl that the windows  in the sled are made from. I used contact cement and skinned the bottom of the sled. Then put my runners back on. I am hoping this will make the pull much easier. I will post a pic later, after I make sure it works.

Offline Dead2fall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #485 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Hey guys, first time poster here! Here is my rig.

Sound system! I just plug in my phone and it plays through small holes I drilled in the side of the box!

It attaches with a magnet to a small piece of steel I riveted inside the box. Easy to pull out and charge! Get about 5-7hrs play time and while it's not Hi-Fi sound it's really decent for the $15 I spent on the speaker.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #486 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:41 AM »
How did you hold your rods to the inside of the lid. I think I have the same tub

Offline Dead2fall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #487 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:52 AM »
How did you hold your rods to the inside of the lid. I think I have the same tub

Drilled holes in the structural ribs in there and took some shock cord from some old toy tent poles my kid had then just measured them up to fit my rods. I kept them down closer to tge hinge side so the weight didnt affect the lid (heavier vintage all metal reels   ;D)

Offline windlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #488 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Just thought I would show the last shanty I made a few years ago. Also have been reading about Smitty sleds so I threw one together this afternoon.
(Image removed from quote.)

will refine the smitty sled once season is over.
2Tall,

Questions for the top...

What material did you use?  You sew it?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Windlaker

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #489 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:41 PM »
That is my old sled( just gave it to my brother). It is a water resistant nylon material. My new one is a canvas courdura material, also water resistant ( see page 24). I have an old singer sewing machine I use.

Offline windlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #490 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Thanks.

I'd have to find someone to do the sewing..neither my wife or myself sew on a machine.

WndLaker

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #491 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:07 PM »
The back

The side

The front

It was very cheap to build, And works great  ;D  :thumbsup:
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Dead2fall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #492 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Got bored today so I decided to install some lighting! Had an old spotlight that didn't work so I cannibalized some of its parts.

Pressure switch that automatically turns them on/off when the lid opens/closes. Disregard the shoddy battery hookup, I didn't have a 9v clip at the moment. I ordered a 9v box with an on off switch on it to shut this totally off for daytime fishing.

Hard to tell with the camera, but it lights it up enough that I can see what I'm doing in my box and tie knots and stuff. Overall a good simple box mod!

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Anybody have any good ideas on how to attach conduit to a two man flip over hut to make the drad easier in deep snow

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #494 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Great way to trick out your storage locker Dead2fall! I have the same box... minus the lights, sound system, rod storage, and lid straps!  :o

Awesome.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Dead2fall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #495 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Great way to trick out your storage locker Dead2fall! I have the same box... minus the lights, sound system, rod storage, and lid straps!  :o

Awesome.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Yeah I didn't want to take up space with a big ol radio, and I figured the phone has internet radio. It worked out well. Doubt I'll ever really need the lights lol like I said I was just bored!

Offline roguebaldguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #496 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:15 PM »
How are you guys going about attaching the ski's to the risers?  are you putting the screw up through the bottom of the ski?  If so what are you doing to eliminate the drag of having the fastener sticking out the bottom of the ski?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I used decking screws, countersunk below the skis surface. I also covered them with epoxy, but it's really not necessary.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #498 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Countersink the screw.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #499 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Anybody have any good ideas on how to attach conduit to a two man flip over hut to make the drad easier in deep snow

Conduit is nice when your on ice/snow. Open ground and pavement its a killler to drag.

A Smitty sled is probable best suited for what your trying to do.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #500 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:54 AM »
I have to show off my newly acquired "Ice Fishing Equipment Relocation Device" sled. I have been on hard water for about 3 years now (Camo_Fish showed me the light) and for the past two I have been using this el cheap-O kiddy sled to pull my gear. What ever works right? Well two years was to long with that thing. Below is a picture of the thing empty. Not very big huh?

I had to put two board across it to hold my bait cooler, tipup box, as well as trying to keep the thing from tipping over. Almost every trip (especially in snow more than 6 inches deep) the thing would tip over on me. Oops there went the bait, hooks, jigs, etc. (its enough to drive you insane  :cookoo: ) It also sunk in the snow making it hard to pull and any new gear had to be piled on top making easier to tip over.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Well yesterday I finally broke down and bought myself one of these jet sled I see everyone has. (I have pulled some gear in one before and WOW what a difference) :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man what a difference it makes when my gear is stod!!! No more tipovers, no more gear sliding off the board, and I know the thing pulls easier with the weight distributed better.

I can't wait to actually use it on the ice

So now that you have all read my boring little yahoo, lets see what you are all dragging on the ice. Post them all, pulled by human power or machine power. Stay on top y'all
Your first sled is literally the exact one I've always used. Haha I'm shocked to see it on here

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #501 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Had some time over the weekend to mod my sled a little bit. I made a PVC frame and attached it to the sled with eye hooks. That way I can use bungees to attach things. The rod holder in the back still needs to be painted, but it is removable so that the sled can fit in my Ford Taurus. I covered the PVC in Plasti Dip, so we'll see how well it holds up. I'm optimistic!

Here it is empty:

And full:

JoshR,
Like the modification on the sled getting the auger out and off to the side added more room in the sled.
I added the PVC on the sides of my jet sled also worked out great exactly what I needed. Thanks for the great idea!

smitty :tipup:

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #502 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:00 PM »
My sled was a mess in the past, I'm hoping organization will turn me into a better fisherman  :woot:

Coleman stove slides under the shelf, my Indian hills in the box, Space in the front is reserved for my backpack of whatever essentials I normally bring and of course ...... a 30 rack
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #503 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Just wondering why you put the Auger so far back in the sled? Have you tried pulling it that way yet? 
<===Lefty===

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Oct 27, 2014, 05:31 AM »
I put it back like that so I could just rotate it sideways slightly to fit under my tonneau cover, there's only so much room in a jet sled.  Not to mention, the strikemaster augers only weigh about 20lbs, it's not a jiffy!  Should pull just fine in my opinion, especially with the weight of a case of beer or some firewood in the front.  A lot of sleds I see try and utilize every square inch of space on the inside of the sled, I wanted to avoid that so I had room for any unforeseen extras such as a pot of chili, firewood, extra gear for friends who want to try icefishing, etc. 
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #505 on: Oct 27, 2014, 06:30 AM »
This is how I like to start my ice sled mods every year. It doesn't always work out, but I thought I'd share. Lol

I call it the Death Sled as opposed to Jet Sled, because I'm always dragging something dead out of the woods or off the ice.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #506 on: Nov 01, 2014, 10:54 AM »
^ that's awesome.

I have a jet sled, you guys are killing me. I've been to damn lazy to mod it. I always have items fall out so it's time to get creative and use some of the great ideas I've seen here to change mine up.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #507 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:12 PM »
This is how I like to start my ice sled mods every year. It doesn't always work out, but I thought I'd share. Lol

I call it the Death Sled as opposed to Jet Sled, because I'm always dragging something dead out of the woods or off the ice.
:thumbsup:

Offline Bigskyxj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #508 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Just ran into this thread the other day.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #509 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:43 AM »
how do you dare be so far from home and bring NOTHING!   minimalist you all are!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.