Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377578 times)

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #360 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Setup includes my Thorne Bros Rods in 5 flavors, Sonic Ice Hopper modded to fit paired with my Vex FL-22HD with custom wiring for switches, vex light and Lure Lightning, current 6" Nils Hand Auger and soon to come 8" Nils/ Tanaka Combo with auger bag that will get fit once it arrives. Custom fit eye bolts at the front for my extra long tow rope that can be easily removed if needed. Really a great setup had it out several times in the last couple of weeks. The rod holder on the back is now fitted with 5 of the grey rod holders as they contain the rods nice and snug and don't fall out no matter the terrain. Still need to work on a few minor details but all good things come in time as the more I play with it the more ideas I have.

I still want to purchase a pop up this year and that will probably ride on the old hand auger mount one it arrives.

Craig

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #361 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:23 AM »
Happy New Year craigthor

Thanks for the description of your unit. I had never heard of a Ice Hopper, so I checked it out on You Tube. Neat!!

I like all the extra custom wiring you have done. What size of pop up tent? Would not any size of pop up tent be too heavy to hang off the side?

I Like that you and "richstick" have kept it small. For those of us that unfortunately do not have a snowmobile yet, have to find a way to pack up the small units. ( but don't get me wrong I would love to have a snowmobile... I could just image what I would be pulling if i had a snowmobile or ATV. )

We need to start a thread for the design and ideas of what we can place on our small pull sleds. ... LOL ...

It is nice that the folks on these threads take the time and thoght to work on there units as to have them work well for them.

Take Care. Thanks again for sharing all your pictures everyone.
      @)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:34 AM »
Happy New Year craigthor

Thanks for the description of your unit. I had never heard of a Ice Hopper, so I checked it out on You Tube. Neat!!

I like all the extra custom wiring you have done. What size of pop up tent? Would not any size of pop up tent be too heavy to hang off the side?

I Like that you and "richstick" have kept it small. For those of us that unfortunately do not have a snowmobile yet, have to find a way to pack up the small units. ( but don't get me wrong I would love to have a snowmobile... I could just image what I would be pulling if i had a snowmobile or ATV. )

We need to start a thread for the design and ideas of what we can place on our small pull sleds. ... LOL ...

It is nice that the folks on these threads take the time and thoght to work on there units as to have them work well for them.

Take Care. Thanks again for sharing all your pictures everyone.
      @)

Only looking at a one man pop up so only about 20 lbs max would be my guess. One of those thing I can keep i the car and only have to pull out on days when I absolutely need them.

Craig

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #363 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Well I don't hole hop too much, but if I want to trick out a sled , I know what I'll have to do now.....good job craigthor! Thankyou for the great discription. Again, great job! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #364 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Only looking at a one man pop up so only about 20 lbs max would be my guess. One of those thing I can keep i the car and only have to pull out on days when I absolutely need them.

Craig
Hey  craigthor

Right on, fair enough. ... LOL ... We will have to see in time if you get ( The RV term) 2 FT ides. I think that you and richstick are hooked not only on the Ice fishing part of this but i believe with what you and others have designed.... It is now in your BLOOD.. LOL ... It will only grow from this point on... Have you thought of building a small trailer behind it yet? ...LOL ... It all starts with what you have... then a two man tent and... and.... Cook stove and ....etc. ...

Enjoy your builds and always have fun with it all.  Good Job.

Take Care and tight lines with the Best of the New Year!
    @)

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #365 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:43 AM »
That's the whole struggle with this - you always want to bring everything but the kitchen sink with you - LOL!  I'm constantly fighting myself to bring just what I need, nothing else.  With this Glide Lite mod, I'm really making an effort to keep it small and light/compact.  Thanks for the compliments, it's alot of fun to take something and improve it/make it your own.  I'm constantly blown away by the guys on here who make some really nice stuff, all from scratch.  This site has darn near made me go buy a welder and a CNC mill a few times   ;D 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #366 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:47 AM »
by the end of the year  you'll make a second story to add more stuff  cause they say you need it on iceshanty
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #367 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:02 AM »
by the end of the year  you'll make a second story to add more stuff  cause the say you need it on iceshanty

Now thats the TRUTH.....

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #368 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:32 PM »
And ... and ... to bring the Kitchen Sink ... is wrong???   

@)

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:09 PM »
errr.. No?  I like having all that stuff out there - but I REALLY like it when another guy brings it all  ;D  I tend to go very bare bones - don't usually even bring food, unless it's a bottle of water and some snacky stuff.  When we tipup fish, that's when you can break out the grill and the Leinie's, etc.... 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #370 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Here is my run and gun setup
(Image removed from quote.)
Craig

Wow, that thing is decked out! Nice work. Need to see the updates.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #371 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:20 PM »
very nice set-ups rich and craig! :thumbsup:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #372 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:33 PM »
And ... and ... to bring the Kitchen Sink ... is wrong???   

@)

not in my book!   Im prepared!   if the ice breaks off I can spend a few days   lol comfy!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:07 PM »
LOL!  I got my Arctic Armour, so if I break off, I can just jump in and bob around like a cork until I get to dry land!  ;D ;D ;D  On second thought, I think I like your idea better!

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:14 PM »
Heres my smitty sled, thanks to all the ideas shared by everyone.I definetly take to much stuff on the ice with me this sled makes it easy.

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #375 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Great job hockyboy. :thumbsup:

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:00 AM »
That is a nice set up I am almost done with my sled will post pics soon.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #377 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Wow, nice sled Hockeyboy! That thing looks sharp!!!!!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #378 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Very Nice set up hockeyboy1267.

I bet it pulls great and very very light.
Your right, it looks like it will haul a lot.

Great Job " HB"
Thanks for sharing your pics.
        @)

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #379 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:22 PM »
  Indeed, a nice job Hockeyboy. I am in the process of adding skis to my one man Frabill portable. The sled is molded for bait pail and such on the bottom, and it is extremely hard to pull in snow. Looks like I'll need the skis with all this snow. Hope you dont mind if I use the same system you did on top of the skis. I ordered some propylene strips I'm going to attach to the bottom of the skis. I have cross country skis, and they tend to grip more, so hence the propylene.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #380 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #381 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:07 PM »
  Indeed, a nice job Hockeyboy. I am in the process of adding skis to my one man Frabill portable. The sled is molded for bait pail and such on the bottom, and it is extremely hard to pull in snow. Looks like I'll need the skis with all this snow. Hope you dont mind if I use the same system you did on top of the skis. I ordered some propylene strips I'm going to attach to the bottom of the skis. I have cross country skis, and they tend to grip more, so hence the propylene.
Thanks windmill I would be flattered if you did the same thing but I have to give this thread all the credit espsecialy smitty0312,AltaIce and geothefisher I combine there ideas together.Thanks again everyone for sharing such great ideas.

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #382 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Ditto that. Might be going off topic here, but I think thats what makes this site so interesting, is all the innovative and practical ideas people have to make the sport that much more enjoyable. I made a mod. on my vexilar, I raised the flasher unit up 7" with threaded rod, it's in easier reach, and better on the back. I also made a mod on my automatic fisherman, that in my opinion, when the targeted fish takes the minnow, it feels an extremely limited amount of resistance for about 29", then the trigger mechanism will go off. I took 2 tie wraps, taped them back to back, and mounted them on the side of the platform. So the line goes between them, before going into the water. I also added a paper clip in the shape of a V, so the line stays in track, on the pivot arm.
  So if this is any help to someone, great, go at it.

Offline Ericjeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #383 on: Jan 14, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Ok I decided yo make a new sled this year. Used a set of cross country skis for the runners.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #384 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Hey Craig
That sled and wiring looks NASA engineered! ;D Well done my friend. I have small project this weekend. I am putting light
in flipover. Hopefully all goes well. Once again great job!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Windmill can you post a picture?
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #386 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Idahopanfish, have some pictures tomorrow. Been a little busy here. Sorry for the delay. Mounted propylene strips on the skis, need to finish one more leg. I'll load the portable with all my gear tomorrow morning, pull it in about a foot or more of snow, and give you an honest report of how it pulls.

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #387 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:54 AM »
191-1-1.jpg[/IMG]]

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Here are a few updated pictures of mine. The front auger support is still a work in progress but as that my Tanaka Powerhead hasn't arrived kind of hard to finalize any plans without it.

Unloaded:

Loaded:

On my Strikemaster Glide Lite this allows me to carry my Sonic Ice Hopper that holds my Vex, 5 Rod/ Reel combos, Ice Scoop, Glen's Outdoors 1 man Hub (for the really windy days), Tackle Bags, Propane Lantern (for night fishing).

Once I pop up the hub shelter it fits over the sled so I can keep everything inside the tent minus the auger. I can use the propane lantern for both light and heat if need be. Can honestly say with the Sno Suit I don't ever get cold but when I have a buddy go with its nice to have a base camp for them as they don't typically dress warm enough.

I still have a few things to finish up but will get those taken care of as I get time and once my power head arrives. Also this spring I plan on painting the PVC black and securing the pole holders once they are painted with a few screws. I also want to put some runners on the sled to help protect the bottom.

Craig

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #389 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.