Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377577 times)

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #330 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I'm hoping to come up with some ideas for modifications this week. I'm planning on batteries inside with a couple of power ports. I haven't really thought of anything else though. :-\

Adam

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I just pulled my jet sled this weekend and if you haven't put it on skies you need to. What a difference in pulling it around! Completly different from last year.
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #332 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:15 PM »
We took our new "hybrid" sled out for its trial run today.  Totally awesome!  Pulls like a dream.  We did determine we need to make a few other mods to the sled, so when we do, we will post more pics!  Skis are definately the way to go, but using the PVC framework for the sled really keeps them light.  Best darn sled I've ever owned!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Here's the link to our new tip-up/ gear box sled.  That plus the new sled for the Clam 5600.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=158626.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154046.0

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Ok, I finished this last March- although it's actually a work in progress. Finally getting around to posting pictures here, hope I don't bore you with too many.

It's about 23" x 38" not including the skis, which are only a prototype. I'm gonna make some snowmobile sliders I have kicking around. They might be a few inches taller, we'll see. It's mostly 1/4" birch plywood, with 9/16ths birch plywood on top. All held together with aluminum angle and channels. The box and skis itself probably weighs 20-25 lbs? The wind break adds another 10 lbs maybe. All loaded up with the wind break lashed down I can still manage getting it from the truck bed to the ground. Pulls nice, but I have to come up with another sheet material to cover the lower frame. The sheet of hard plastic I had underneath cracked when I towed it over low snow conditions with the snowmobile.

Front view, I have a tow harness with rigid arms that I attach to my machine, to the eye bolts in front.

Inside, big enough for my hand auger, traps, bait, beer, a small heater and sometimes I bring a camp stove. If I need more I can lash it on top.

Here is the back lid top with recessed t-nuts to take the thumbwheels:

Oh yeah, these are the panels for the windbreak, lashed to the box. They are exactly the same size as the box footprint and made of 1/4" birch.

These are the windbreak panels:

And this is one installed:

And this is what the whole thing looks like. It's comfortable to sit inside and keeps the wind off me:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:06 PM »
These are the ways the windbreak goes together. Up top:

And down on the bottom:

It takes two seconds to pull the lower pins and lay the whole windbreak back on the ice if you want to access the front compartment:

Anyway, hope I didn't bore you, I'll update with pics of the new improved skis when I finish them. Tight lines to all of you!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #336 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Hi " doctorgee"
Great job Doc. I bet it does pull nice. I like how you have a place for everything and everything in it's place.

Enjoy it this winter.

AltaIce
    8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #337 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Wow!! What a sweet sled! Is that thing still pretty light?

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:02 PM »
well done Doc.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Wow!! What a sweet sled! Is that thing still pretty light?

I'd say that the empty sled with the windbreak is no more than 30-35 lbs. I can easily pick it up and hold it out at arms length. Might actually be lighter than that, I'll have to try and weigh it.

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #340 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Love the sled Doctorgee.

You put some great ideas into that one.
Would seperate the tipups from that auger though. Two tier compartment?

Tight lines
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Would seperate the tipups from that auger though. Two tier compartment?

Tight lines

The tipups usually go in a bag that somewhat protects them a little more, but I have thought of that mod...

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #342 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:31 PM »
hey doc that is a wonderful sled. i've seen one other with cloth and liked it to. i have to say that i think that it would handle a greater wind. like the storm that we had over the weekend here. the gust last night were somewhere near and into the 50 to 60 MPH. i also like like the idea of having everything in that area. i stand my sled up to get out of the wind, it works but then i can't make coffee and breakfast without putting me or the stove into the wind. i'm going to have to take a greater look at your design.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #343 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:22 PM »
The other one with cloth was a big inspiration to me! I really wanted a roof though, and I wanted hard panels. I often make coffee/soup/chili with a small butane stove right next to me. It works great. I am planning on a big upgrade of the ski/base this weekend. It should be quite the system when I am done.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #344 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:03 AM »
The other one with cloth was a big inspiration to me! I really wanted a roof though, and I wanted hard panels. I often make coffee/soup/chili with a small butane stove right next to me. It works great. I am planning on a big upgrade of the ski/base this weekend. It should be quite the system when I am done.
Looks Nice!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:35 PM »
I just wanted to let you guys know that I found some skis at Salvation Army for 3.99. Cant beat that deal if your looking for skis for your sleds.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #346 on: Dec 29, 2010, 05:05 PM »
I just went to the sheetmetal place today. Having a bottom panel being bent up out of aluminum. It will hold the wind break for my sled between the skis and under the box so I can load my powerauger on top of the box. Should be ready in a week!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #347 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Tired of all the jawing going on on this thread.  Everytime it pops up on my updated thread list, all I see is jabber jabber jabber.  Let's see some pictures!!!!!!!!!!

MD
 >:(

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #348 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:04 AM »
Tired of all the jawing going on on this thread.  Everytime it pops up on my updated thread list, all I see is jabber jabber jabber.  Let's see some pictures!!!!!!!!!!

MD
 >:(
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Pictures of sleds, Hazzy.  Pictures of sleds.

MD

Jabber.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #350 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:00 AM »
ok   here is an old one

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:36 AM »
That is soooo cool. is it yours?
Michael
Keep looking to the East

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #352 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Nice, I like it. "Mainehazmt "

We can work with that!!

8)

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #353 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Thanks Mainehazmt.
 I just thought of a new design.
It's going to be so cool.

Fish on

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #354 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:57 PM »
naw  just a photo for maine dog

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #355 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Well, I've been watching this thread, it's my favorite on IS by far.  I have never had a nice setup for first/early ice, but was planning on building something.  Then, I was in a local sporting goods shop a few weeks ago, and they had a Strikemaster Glide Lite brand new, clearancing out for $35!!  Couldn't pass it up.  I've seen other Glide Lites modded on here and a couple other ice fishing forums.  I stole some ideas from them, and also just went out and fished with the thing, took mental notes as to what I'd like it to do, etc.  Spent a few hours here and there with it and this is what I have so far:

This is a shot of the whole sled.  I wanted the rod storage away from the seat, an auger mount that I could keep the auger in while I sit on the bucket and fish, secure storage for bait/tackle/etc, a rod holder, a slush scoop holder, and a hemostat 'station'.  Finally, I wanted it compact, and as light as possible.

This pic shows a closeup of the rod holder and rod storage.  I took little bungee cords and sunk a small screw eye into the PVC, then cut one end off the bungee, tied it on the screw eye, and bent the hook of the bungee to hold onto the reel.  Rod holder is the 'Dave Genz special' - a broom holder.  If you look carefully in the first pic (above this) you'll notice that the rod farthest away from the camera is sitting directly in the PVC coupling - the rest are in 3" long pieces of pipe.  The 3" pieces aren't glued in - I can swap them in or out to fit my rods that have small butts.  Most of my rods are St. Croix Legends or my own custom made rods, but I have a few that are bigger on the end.  They fit nicely into the 45 degree fitting, and the bungee still holds them nice and snug.

This pic shows the auger mount.  Took a piece of Azek composite trim board and ripped it down, bolted it on the side of the sled, and mounted two dollar store big broom holders.  Super light, holds the auger very securely, easy on and off, and after I drill holes, I can put the auger back on the sled to keep it out of the snow/slush - but I can still sit and fish.  Slush scoop holder is simply a longer straight piece of 1" PVC...

This pic shows the bait/tackle storage.  Someone else did one with a sweet piano hinge/rivets.  I couldn't find a piano hinge that would work, so I used two small strap hinges.  Velcro holds it down, and a short piece of cord is the handle to lift it up.  On the right hand side is a piece of velcro mounted on top of the lid.  The bottom of my Bait Pucks has the opposite velcro, so I can stick a bait puck to the top of the lid for easy/secure access.

This pic shows my hemostat storage - it's a picture frame mount.

Here's just a closeup of the rod clips.  I like this system because they are super easy to put in and out of the rod holder, but then you can clip them in for travel.  Best of both worlds....

So that's my mod so far - still need to add skis or runners - still looking for some!  Also may add more hooks/storage/do-dads inside to hold gloves, etc.   Definitely need a cupholder mounted somewhere  ;D  May make a little box to go into the tackle storage area to keep it organized.  I don't plan on mounting flasher or camera on here - I prefer them to be in their cases and mobile - I bounce around alot, and don't want to have to move the sled every time I jump to a new hole.  I've gained so much inspiration from this thread - hopefully somebody sees mine and steals an idea or two  ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #356 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Hi " richstick "

Nice build. Everything in its place and easy to get at. Waiting to see where and how you put your cup holder on.

It looks good Rich, keep going with it.

8)

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Here is my run and gun setup, need to update the pictures as it has had a small bit of modification since these were taken.

Also I will have to make arrangements for the new gas auger to be supported on here as well. :)

Craig

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:01 PM »
That Sled is getting neater each time I see it, good job!
Michael
Keep looking to the East

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #359 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Here is my run and gun setup, need to update the pictures as it has had a small bit of modification since these were taken.

Also I will have to make arrangements for the new gas auger to be supported on here as well. :)

Craig
WoW! Wild " craigthor "

That looks wicked. What does it have for a power plant? Were you able to follow Santa along with the Radar system?

Very impressive. A lot of thought went into your Glide. I am looking forward to what kind of mounting system you will make for your Power Auger.  What kind and size of power Auger do you have?

You will have to get us some up to date pictures of the new modifications and for sure when you get the other auger on it.

Take Care and enjoy the NEW YEAR!

AltaIce
     @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.