Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377576 times)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #270 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I have been inspired!  I built 2 "Smitty" style sleds last year, but the box I built to haul our stuff out onto the ice was too heavy.  After seeing AltaIces PVC work in the jet/otter sled I knew it could be done.  My son and I have decided what we needed, drew up a plan and are going to build a Smitty/AltaIce hybrid sled.  The easy pulling of the Smitty Sled with the lightweight/customizable carrying portion AltaIce style.  We went out to Lowes tonight and dropped $40 on PVC pipe and fittings.  Tomorrow we start building!  I'll post pics ASAP and try to take pics of the building process so anyone who is interested can get an idea of how to do this for themselves! 
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #271 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Hi " geothefisher"
G'd day Sir.

Brother it sounds like you and your Son have a great day planned. I would love to see lots
of pics of your other two sleds. Excuse my dumbness "G" but I do not know what a
"Smitty" Style Sled is. I would love to see it, it sounds very interesting.

It sounds like you had the same feeling and thoughts as I did at the very beginning. I, as you had thought of dong something with my sled as well, and used it in the raw state the first year of my Ice Fishing.

I spent the whole summer planning it in my head and thinking about it. But I got the courage to tackle the
PVC after seeing the pics of " Barts" Sled and I went from there.

LOL... I'll try to keep this short... LOL.. My A.D.H.D just kicked in... LOL

I'm dyeing g to see the new version of your sled that you and your son are going to invent. Please
show us all the pictures of it.  I really do not know what a " Smitty" is.
I have had the thought of SKIES in my mind as of late though as I have been thinking of building a Trailer for my Otter Ice Fishing Sled.
As I bought my first gas powered Ice Auger this year and after I finish with my last two phases ( Propane Stove, wheels Etc.)

I have been thinking if I can make a holder for my little sled for the Auger or have to put it on another Ski type unit to also pull behind it????

You have got me pumped here "G". I think I need to get off my butt and work on my sled today.. Thanks.

I now have my Sled set up for both WINTER and SUMMER use now. ( hence the wheels , I might try to post later
some pics of the wheels and stove holder.)

Since i have been on this site ( Ice shanty) I have been so impressed how nice and easy going everyone on here has been to me as I learn this new sport for me.

Enjoy your day and have a blast with your son and we are all looking forward to seeing your new Hybrid Sled.

AltaIce

8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #272 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Hi " geothefisher"
G'd day Sir.

Brother it sounds like you and your Son have a great day planned. I would love to see lots
of pics of your other two sleds. Excuse my dumbness "G" but I do not know what a
"Smitty" Style Sled is. I would love to see it, it sounds very interesting.

It sounds like you had the same feeling and thoughts as I did at the very beginning. I, as you had thought of dong something with my sled as well, and used it in the raw state the first year of my Ice Fishing.

I spent the whole summer planning it in my head and thinking about it. But I got the courage to tackle the
PVC after seeing the pics of " Barts" Sled and I went from there.

LOL... I'll try to keep this short... LOL.. My A.D.H.D just kicked in... LOL

I'm dyeing g to see the new version of your sled that you and your son are going to invent. Please
show us all the pictures of it.  I really do not know what a " Smitty" is.
I have had the thought of SKIES in my mind as of late though as I have been thinking of building a Trailer for my Otter Ice Fishing Sled.
As I bought my first gas powered Ice Auger this year and after I finish with my last two phases ( Propane Stove, wheels Etc.)

I have been thinking if I can make a holder for my little sled for the Auger or have to put it on another Ski type unit to also pull behind it????

You have got me pumped here "G". I think I need to get off my butt and work on my sled today.. Thanks.

I now have my Sled set up for both WINTER and SUMMER use now. ( hence the wheels , I might try to post later
some pics of the wheels and stove holder.)

Since i have been on this site ( Ice shanty) I have been so impressed how nice and easy going everyone on here has been to me as I learn this new sport for me.

Enjoy your day and have a blast with your son and we are all looking forward to seeing your new Hybrid Sled.

AltaIce

8)
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #273 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Hey " smitty0312"

Thanks.... I have seen your Pictures before and I think you have a great idea.

Sorry it did not click at the time of what a " Smitty" style sled was...COOL'

It was your Idea that has been in the back of my head as how to haul my Gas Ice Auger now.

I keep trying to find the time to get to a shop that sells used Skis.
My Auger weighs 35 Lbs.

( Fast Question though) ....  I have never ever had Skis.... So is it hard to wax them so they will pull easy?
I have a x- brother in-law that told me once that when he was younger if he waxed his skis wrong it was hard to slide.

Thanks again for showing me your " Smitty Sled".  (Handshake)

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #274 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Hey " geothefisher"

You mentioned before about using your sled as a table or work table.
I had the same thought, because i can not bend down like I used to (Hence the rack for big
chairs) and I hated kneeling down on one knee and then trying to get up... LOL... I laugh cause it
is so flipping funny to watch me get back up.   LOL..

Here are a couple pics of the new wheels Stove holder etc,.... The Decals and Flames are a joke my friends
bug me about.. someone once said it looked like a hot-rod.. ( hence the decals)

Hey !! I was redneck enough to put Camo Duct tape on my Ice Fishing Sled.... So wait until I get a pic of the mascot
that will hang on the front of it.... LOL

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #275 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I know it is all over board folks.... But I am having with it... LOL
 ( I am looking forward to cooking with the stove on it)

Take care everyone..
  8)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #276 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:54 AM »
Yes, we used to flip it over on its side to use it as a table.  It's just too heavy with all that plywood.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #277 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Hey " G"

Even with the Skis.... it was hard to pull??

Did it push snow or did it need to sit higher but still on skis?

8)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:05 AM »
WOW, I love the stove stand!  Now the wheels are really turning.  Another great idea!  I saw that Bart had a stove stand on his as well.  You guys are the masters of the PVC!  I just hope my idea of the hybrid comes together well.  The "Smitty" sled is the easiest pulling sled I have ever had.  My suitcase shanty is one of those that came from Cabelas.  You buy the tent and frome from them and supply the plywood and 2x2's for the floor.  Needless to say, it isn't light, but it goes across the ice and snow like it is a lightweight on the skis.    This pic is of our "shanty" up on the smitty sled and ready to be moved to a new location.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Hey " G"

Even with the Skis.... it was hard to pull??

Did it push snow or did it need to sit higher but still on skis?

8)
It pulled well on the snow and ice, and did not sink in, but if you had even a slight uphill pull at the end of the day to get it back to the truck the weight of it and the equipment in it would kill you.  The plywood and 2x4's are just too heavy.  It was also quite a bear to get into the back of the truck.  The new model won't have this problem.  It is going to be the skis, PVC and a luan floor.  I would rather have equipment weight than sled weight.  We always tend to take too much along!  Isn't that what ice fishing is all about?!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #280 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:22 AM »
I hear Ya geothefisher.

My whole life I have been the one that takes way tooooo much stuff.

I understand what your saying about having the weight for your stuff and not the sled...
I guess one does not need both to be a little too heavy.

I like your set up and look forward to seeing your new pics of your New Toy, and even better the reports
of how many good times and fish you get with it.

Your right..... " Bart" is the master, I am just his honorable student... He gave me  the courage to try PVC.

I have mentioned this before I designed my Sled Rack... but it was seeing b
Barts and many other sleds in here that got me going.. also it was a gentleman called " TubeDude" from a Utah Fly fishing site that designed the Rod Holder I use... I just made it first to see if i enjoyed working with the PVC... and YUP.. I like it.... LOL

( Remember... Measure... Cut.. put together all in one piece ... make sure it is what you want... then take apart and glue one piece at a time again..... )

Have a Great Day with your son and have fun.

8)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #281 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:37 AM »
gee you guys dont bring anything   lolwhen I go I have to otter magnum sleds that go  and usually they are both full!  lol  one has the village attached to it and lots of stuff in there    good thing about 2 sleds the same size is when travelling to the lake they fit inside of each other  bad thing the shack weighs about 200 lbs   lol and hard to get the second sled out if I forget to put a few 2x4's in the bottom!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #282 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Here's mine with the mods I have done.
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #283 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I like your flasher mount!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #284 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:40 AM »
That is a relief.....

Thanks Mainehazmt..

It is nice to hear that some one else takes more.....  Some folks have told me that I take way too much stuff.
But at times it is stuff they have borrowed and used when I bring it..... LOL..

Do you hand pull your Sleds?

I also like the wind deflector that you have " idahopanfish"  Do you have anchor down your sled in a strong wind?

Thanks guys for showing and explaining there ways. It does help.

8)

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Nov 21, 2010, 02:43 PM »
The first design I had a couple of years ago did blow over in the wind. I thought I might put a couple of holes in the skies for some anchors. The PVC all breaks down to fit in the black storage box.
Michael
Keep looking to the East

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #286 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:01 PM »
The first design I had a couple of years ago did blow over in the wind. I thought I might put a couple of
holes in the skies for some anchors. The PVC all breaks down to fit in the black storage box.

Hey " idahopanfish"

I guess you would not have a problem at all as long as someone sitting in it.

When you mention putting anchors in ( through) your Ski's. The first I thought was seeing it held down, your right.
 But since I have not owned a pair of ski's. I have to ask, how strong are they when they twist?
I was just picturing by chance if the wind did come up strong. Would it be enough force to move the unit over enough that it might twist the ski's maybe breaking one or two. ( making it a neat pulling trip back to the vehicle)

I have thought of using Anchors on mine as well. As I intend to put a fabric wind break around my propane stove, so
if the wind catching mine it will not dump hot grease on anyone.

I was ( or am ) going to put maybe two or three thin line cable attached in two or three spots on the side rim of my
sled with a loop on the other end so I can screw in some Ice anchors and throw the loop over them and pull the unit
tight...
know what I mean.... I am not sure if i explained that very well? .... LOL.. I can picture it in my head what I want to do..... LOL.

later
    8)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #287 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:45 PM »
We had some fun working on a new sled today!  The dimensions are 48" long X 30" wide X 15" deep!  This is just the basic PVC framed box.  It will be mounted on skis aka Smitty Sled style.  We have a lot of things to add to it yet, such as the safety rope bracket, rod holders, auger bracket and propane stove stand.  Here are a few pictures, and sorry that we didn't take more.  We got on a roll while working on it and picture taking just kind of gotten forgotten about.  There are a least a few more weeks until we start thinking about ice here in PA, so we will get more done and keep you all posted on progress and with pics!    Thank god for owning a table saw and a band saw.  There are a lot of cuts to be made with a project like this!    Here is my son, gfisher95 holding up the bare frame.  It is pretty light.    Here are the skis that will be used in the project.  They were a part of my old plywood box sled last year.  That sled was heavy to start with, then throw in all the gear and it was miserable to pull if you weren't on the ice.              Here is another pic of my son holding the basic frame.  You will notice that I went with the PVC electrical conduit instead of the water pipe.  It has UV blockers in it that the water pipe does not have.  It should withstand being out in the sun for years to come!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #288 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I don't know why the pics ended up sideways, I had edited them in photobucket and they still came out this way.  Please don't strain your necks!!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #289 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Looks great geothefisher! That will pull alot better than the wood box, how much lighter is it? Was the electrical conduit more expensive than water pipe? You're the 1st one I have seen to use this type of pipe, good thought on the uv rays, I didn't know this. Keep up the good work. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #290 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Actually the electrical cost about half of price of water pipe.  You still need to use the water pipe fittings(they are interchangable).  The price of a 10' stick of 3/4" electrical PVC conduit was only $1.88 at our local Lowes.  They also offer contractor packs of the fittings that save you money over buying each piece individually.  I have pipe and tons of fittings left yet and spent about $37 for everything I bought for the project.  The skis came from the local flea market.  I paid $1 per pair.  I took both pairs that he had and would have bought a dozen pairs for that price if he would have had them. 

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #291 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:52 PM »
very nice sled geofisher. how does it mount to the skiis? i was thinking of making something similar but wonder how the pvc will hold up in the extreme cold under load.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #292 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I just started it today.  I am still debating on how the attachment will be made.  The PVC should hold up very well.  What you see of the skis in the pics are from my old plywood box sled.  I know I will be making new wooden blocks to attach to the skis, but not sure on how I will "pin" the PVC to the wooden blocks.  I made the PVC part to fit into my Chevy Trailblazer.  And please, if you have a Trailblazer and want to build one like mine, please be sure of your measurements.  I have the EXT. model or extended wheelbase with third row seating. A 48" long box will not fit in the back of the standard model and still seat 4 people.  I need the skis to be removable from the box.  I need the full length of the skis to carry the intended weight well.  Otherwise I would chop them off at 48" to fit in the back of my vehicle and not have to worry removing them.  I have a few weeks left until we have to worry about getting on the ice here in PA, so I'm not sweating it yet!  LOL

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:00 AM »
AltaIce
If the wind is that stronge the tarp and pvc wouldn't be together possibly but I don't believe the ski would twist enough to break.
Michael
Keep looking to the East

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #294 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hi idahopanfish

It looks great. I am glad you and your son had a blast making it. I can't wait to see how you
hang everything on it. Yes your right it will be way less weight than the wood one eh!

Ya, I guess your right if the wind is the bad you don't need it set up with the tarp.

Right on
 8)

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #295 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:59 PM »
mounting it to the skis is what has held me back from building one so far. my idea was to build basically the same rack you have built, but to have the 4 corners extended down as feet maybe 6". then somehow mount 4 pvc caps to the skis and then the 4 "feet" go into the caps.

not sure how well it will work but im going to be trying a few different ideas this weekend

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I have a few ideas churning.  I really only get a chance to play in the shop on the weekends, so, bright and early Saturday morning we will be back at it.  I had to go today and pick up some more pipe fittings.  LOL  Thank god they are inexpensive.  I bought 30 T's, 20 90 degree elbows and 10 45 degree elbows to get started.  I picked up 20 more T's today.  Probably won't need them all, but it's good to have a few extras.  You never know when inspiration may strike and just have to add something to your creation.  Oh, I almost forgot, I also picked up some solder for making the "A-BOMB" jigs. 

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #297 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:09 AM »
I have a few ideas churning.  I really only get a chance to play in the shop on the weekends, so, bright and early Saturday morning we will be back at it.  I had to go today and pick up some more pipe fittings.  LOL  Thank god they are inexpensive.  I bought 30 T's, 20 90 degree elbows and 10 45 degree elbows to get started.  I picked up 20 more T's today.  Probably won't need them all, but it's good to have a few extras.  You never know when inspiration may strike and just have to add something to your creation.  Oh, I almost forgot, I also picked up some solder for making the "A-BOMB" jigs. 

I hear Ya
Welcome to my world.... LOL.. Once you get the bug... You will never stop picking up extra tee's , elbows...etc. for those lil extra add ons....

Have a great weekend Idaho.
 8)

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #298 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:04 AM »
My wheels have been turning also Geo! I bought a cheap pair of cross country skis at a thrift store over a month ago for a sled project, and I also have a couple of those big plastic bread flats that they carry and stack bread, rolls etc, on lying around in my road. I'm gonna use them for the base and for storage under the suitcase shanty. Just got to get it put together some day soon. And maybe a few other mods ;)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #299 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Get busy Wild!  Ice season is coming soon!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.