Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377578 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #210 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Hey pal,
Where's your flag?  I have a 1' x 14" stars and stripes on my sled.  It is really useful, shows me wind direction and wind speed.  It shows activity when everything is slow,  and it shows that my sled is made, and used in America.  It also shows a little bit of proud redneck American.   Tends to keep the riff-raff away.  Now I hunt for an NRA flag.  :whistle:

Did Ben Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson ice fish?  Quite sure Washington did, in the Delaware River! :clap:
Thread killer

Offline bsteckel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin' lips in NE PA
« Reply #211 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:14 AM »
AltaIce .. i love that sled.. i am new here and am getting ready to put something together. i always thought PVC would work well and you proved it.

do you have any measurements or a written blue print for how you set yours up? i also like that you used metal folding chairs .. i am uncomfortable in the nylon type, plus i am a bit of a fat ass :)

i would greatly appreciate any info you could give so i may duplicate what you did on that fine sled.

thanks in advance

and by the way .. you can never have TMS :)

Brad

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #212 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Hey... " WYIfish"

Nope don't have a flag for it as of Yet.. But from the get go I wanted to fly the Flag that they have on  from " Iceshanty"
and that is the reason why... for wind etc.. I have a flag holder already built in on the unit already along with a coat rack holder...LOL

The Iceshanty flag is about $45 us.. so I'm a saving my pennies... *  :) *
Regards...
AltaIce.

oh and buy the way..  I went to your site.... and.... and .. WOW.. brother you catch fish I dream of.  Awesome fish Sir.. ( Tight Lines)
Take care.
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #213 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Oh ya WYIfish...
 and  of course there will prob be a small Canadian flag right about the Iceshanty flag... ;D

AltaIce.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #214 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:57 PM »
hi ya " bsteckel"

Thanks for your comments... Cool. nice to hear sir.. thanks. ( your way too kind... anyone could have made this unit and have.. i just made it a little diff..LOL)

Like I've said before.. After the last winter pulling my sled , with everything just bungeeeeed down and all over the place.. I had long summer of long thinking of what I wanted or at least thought I would like to try.
and like I said before it was not until I saw what " TubeDude" had for a Rod holder I tried it and that got me hooked.. then I saw " Barts" old sled with his Pvc water pipe and that got me even more hooked on making my own PVC version.

All it is .... made of 3/4" and 1/2" PVC pipe.... It is light and firm.. BUT I knew I had to make it way Stronger... SO on the inside of the 3/4" PVC is about 5/16" pipe made of a " Alum and pot metal kinda Mix".. I could not bend a long length of it by hand ( and I tried..LOL)

Hey "bsteckel" what Kind  ( size) of Sled are ya pulling??

AltaIce....

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #215 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Hey... " WYIfish"

Nope don't have a flag for it as of Yet.. But from the get go I wanted to fly the Flag that they have on  from " Iceshanty"
and that is the reason why... for wind etc.. I have a flag holder already built in on the unit already along with a coat rack holder...LOL

The Iceshanty flag is about $45 us.. so I'm a saving my pennies... *  :) *
Regards...
AltaIce.

oh and buy the way..  I went to your site.... and.... and .. WOW.. brother you catch fish I dream of.  Awesome fish Sir.. ( Tight Lines)
Take care.

I am receiving fishing communal tutoring in the fine art of catching the 20-40 pound lake trout in Flaming Gorge. I am humbled.
Thread killer

Offline bsteckel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin' lips in NE PA
« Reply #216 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:55 AM »
AltaIce .. right now my options are wide open as i am just using a small rubbermate tote with a shoulder strap attached and a 5 gal bucket. i usually go with my dad who has a large rubbermaid (48 gal?) actionpacker mounted on snow skis. i do like the action packer as it keeps everything safe and dry, but you do have to bend over to get inside. 

i was toying with the idea of building a removable rack like yours to mount on top of the actionpacker, when i get out to the ice, lift it off and have a nice stand for the stove, tip ups, and all the stuff i use frequently. .. but then again, my ideas are usually larger than my budget (with 3 daughters)  :)

if you had to do it over, would you change anything? what do you like best, and worst?

did you dry fit the whole thing together to make sure it worked as planned?

what do you carry on that sled?

sorry for all the ??'s ... i am impressed with your sled.

when i build mine, i want to make sure that the time is well spent as i have little of it.

thanks

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #217 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Hey "bsteckel" evening Sir.

I just had a look at the 48 gallon rubber made actionpacker unit.. it is pretty cool.... I see  what you mean as it can keep everything in it place.

Just wondering though... in one sentence you say your tired of bending over when you use it.. and then you see the thought of making a
rack out of PVC to put on top of i ( that you could use as a stand for a propane stove etc.) .........  I thought  of what you said for  a second... but if you go and build a rack that goes on top that can be lifted off... then your really no further ahead are ya??? Your box will still be on the ground... right??

You all ready have the Skies you said... Right? ...... So why not design something that can be reinforced ( made out of PVC ) ( inside and out with proper placed cross sections)  that is attached to the Skies you have and build it from the bottom up... put all the things on it you will want... The side mount rod holders, the area with space that will hold more containers near the bottom. etc, etc, etc,   Then have it so you can have the Actionpacker  box that sits on top in place and secure.

Put two workable (table) flat areas that are on the front and back ( that can be removed and stored inside your box in pieces )... that would hold your propane stove... and or a tackle box that is all near waist height ( so there is no bending over)  and then also have four quick releases  that will let you take off the Actionpacker box and you can get at things in your frame and you can use the box for a extra sitting area for your girls if they need to sit and fish or watch. ( or leave it on the top of the frame at all times..)

Heck I don't know..LOL... just throwing some thoughts out there... LOL.. I can see it in my head...  ;D

Yak to ya later.
Take Care.....
AltaIce

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #218 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Hey bsteckel..

I knew I was not going crazy... LOL.. I kept thinking that I had seen what I kinda explained .... before.

Look for the Thread that is Called.
Topic: Otter Sled or Storage Bin with skis  (Read 1897 times)

Otter Sled or Storage Bin with skis
« on: Nov 13, 2009, ish  » or on the same page

LOOK at what FISHINJIM built

he has a really good idea and that will work perfect for you.... I really like how it looks and it is slick..

Regards
AltaIce

Offline bsteckel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin' lips in NE PA
« Reply #219 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:36 PM »
AltaIce .. sorry for the late reply .. out of town with work  :(

will check out the thread you found ...

let me know any other ideas that pop into your mind ... i am good at building stuff, but bad with the idea stage.

thanks again.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Here's Mine

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #221 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Hi all.....
 Nice sled " fishinpo1e1"   :).. With those skies , I bet it pulls really nice and smooth.. cool.  My goodness, would I ever stack  to many things on it... LOL.. I tend to carry to much stuff.. (L) and I like it that way but I never use all I Pull..( but am getting a little better) but live in a world of what if.... Someone on the lake forgot there's.. they may need to borrow it ....LOL..

Hey " bsteckel".. Morn Sir.  here is the URL of that Sled I told you  about... it seems like it is close to what I was describing   the other day... and like” fisinjim  “.  You can put your Action-Packer case on the top... if you wish.. take a look.. Like he prob has .. you can also add diff things to it later...  :)

http://iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=82754.125

Take Care... Yak to ya later... Off to see if the second hardware store today has any of the Elbows and 90's that I need. LOL..

8)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Alta Ice,

You need a bigger sled coming from wayyyyyyyyy uppppppp there. The season is longer and there's more stuff to buy and carry out to the lake.

Bettcha there's no Burger Kings out there on the lake. :)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #224 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Thanks "Pooley".

Hey, if you don't mind me asking? How do you do that, with the link thingy and underline it?  I have always been doing the copy and paste thing.

LOL.. I wish at times there was a little bigger Sled in my Garage  "fishinpole1e1". But I don't have the vehicle for it.( or room in the garage) All we have is a Little SUV for my PVC... LOL  it all we need here in the city.. Had Trucks before, been there done dhat. With the sled before it was great for small cars and now with the rack it's SUV's ( or trucks).   :)

I made it so it would just fit.  :o

Your sled must pull real nice like " fishinjim's"

8)

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Hi ya Alta, me again. Every time I look at the sled the ideas are flying through my head. My biggest problem is I have a Jeep Wrangler He He, space is not one of there strong points. I've designed and built a sled with skis, but tried to make it fold down onto itself. Works ok but have to unload it then slide it in sticking out the back, not fun when you have a soft top and it's 10below. LOL My friend just enhanced his Jet sled to find out he can;t load it into his pick up alone, loaded. Guess we will all be searching forever to find the "perfect" sled.
Until then you have come pretty damn close....

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #226 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hey " Oletimer ".
Yes I understand what your kinda up against... years ago I used to own a 1984 soft top CJ-7.. man the stuff  I would pile in there.. I made a holding rack for the space behind the rear seat witch gave me a chance to store even more stuff I never used.. but had if only needed..LOL

Does the rear seat in the new wranglers lay flat at all.. AND if t does... Can you not slice your skies in half and have them rejoined together with w hinge and little metal locking clip.. so you can unlatch the metal side clip and fold the back half of the ski under neath its self. ( know what I mean...) Not saying it can be done but it just popped into my Brain... or what little of one I have... LOL
OR but a small Otter mini and place a H-frame on the floor board of your jeep in front of the rear seat and cover the back top of the rear seat and slid the sled over  and on the rear part of the seat and onto the top of the H-frame.

I hear what you say when your friends sled or anyone's can get to heavy... I wanted mine to be able to be lifted into the back of my SUV , by myself ... do you  see in  any of the pics that show the new sliders I placed on the bottom of my Sled?

They are the extra long for two reason.. one it gives it better support and balance when going through the Snow and I can back the sled up the rear of the SUV.... and then by lifting the back of the sled up so the tuns lean against the back bumper lip of the SUV... I then go to the front of the Sled pick it up and slid it into the rear of the Vehicle... and YES SIR... mine is pretty heavy for what I have put nit so far..and i know I'll be putting more in it... (LOL)... tell  your friend to look at putting longer sliders on the bottom.. or maybe think about it in his mind if it would work for him.

See the length out the back.. .. ( just long enough for what i need it for as i rest it against the rear of the bumper ) and then lift the front end..

Ok.. OK... I'll stop talking now.... (LOL).. sorry tend to type way , way , way to much... (L)

Gonna go downstairs and play with some More PVC.. I went shopppping this afternoon.  ;D  (( gonna try to get Phase two restarted again))
 8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #227 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Author = "oletimer"
Hi ya Alta, me again. Every time I look at the sled the ideas are flying through my head. My biggest problem is I have a Jeep Wrangler He He, space is not one of there strong points. I've designed and built a sled with skis, but tried to make it fold down onto itself. Works ok but have to unload it then slide it in sticking out the back, not fun when you have a soft top and it's 10below. LOL My friend just enhanced his Jet sled to find out he can't load it into his pick up alone, loaded.

Guess we will all be searching forever to find the "perfect" sled.
Until then you have come pretty close....

[/quote]

Hi ya " Oletimer "     I just reread what you said at the end... Sir.. Gotta tell ya.. Mine is far from Perfect... ways to go... and not worried if I ever get there..LOL
In my eyes... if a person has a  sled  ( any style or kind )and it works for them... Then to me it is perfect.. know what I  mean..

If it does what you ask of it.. then work with it... if you feel it does not do what you need or want it to do... then just sit back .. one day in the garage and sit there and stare at it... then look at it some more... LOL.. and you will be surprised at what ideas you come up with..  ;)

Not saying that will work for sure.. (L).. but heck it will be great to have the Quiet time.... eh??...  ;D

8)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #228 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I made the deck on my ski sled bigger for stability. I am also trying to make it into some type of "shelter" using EMT and a tarp but so far it is not going well.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #229 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Thanks "Pooley".

Hey, if you don't mind me asking? How do you do that, with the link thingy and underline it?  I have always been doing the copy and paste thing.

LOL.. I wish at times there was a little bigger Sled in my Garage  "fishinpole1e1". But I don't have the vehicle for it.( or room in the garage) All we have is a Little SUV for my PVC... LOL  it all we need here in the city.. Had Trucks before, been there done dhat. With the sled before it was great for small cars and now with the rack it's SUV's ( or trucks).   :)
(Image removed from quote.)   

I made it so it would just fit.  :o

Your sled must pull real nice like " fishinjim's"

8)

click on the globe icon, above the smilies, then paste the link between the url's      here
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #230 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Cool... Thanks Pooley.

It works...

Thank you.

8)

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #231 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:31 PM »
I do not have a photobucket acct, so I can't post online. My email is off kelter, also, so I can't send em to you. I made a carrier that fits in my hitch receiver, cover w/ small tarp. Now I can carry two sleds, or just more of my stuff. Jeep Cherokee.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #232 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I do not have a photobucket acct, so I can't post online. My email is off kelter, also, so I can't send em to you. I made a carrier that fits in my hitch receiver, cover w/ small tarp. Now I can carry two sleds, or just more of my stuff. Jeep Cherokee.

...................... ......  .....................  .....................  .....................  ....................  .....................  .....................  ......................

Hi walleyeboater

Sounds like a nice set up. I would like to see it one day.. ( I use "Tinypic " )

In the early to mid 80's I had a CJ-7 jeep and I also had a little system that would hook into my hitch and haul all the extra stuff I would bring on camping/fly fishing trips.. I had a rack system set up behind the rear sit and could carry a lot of stuff in the Jeep.. but Still felt I needed that extra room..(LOL) ( also for other's stuff, it came in handy.

Yours sounds like a great set up. :)

Later , Take Care

8)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #233 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:53 PM »
the account is free, and i will talk you through posting pics. it's easy.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #234 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:01 AM »
If pooley and do it anyone can   but you better hurry up  he is gonna be watching the arca races very soon   esp qualifications
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #235 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:22 AM »
If pooley and do it anyone can   but you better hurry up  he is gonna be watching the arca races very soon   esp qualifications

watched the second half yesterday! ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #236 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:31 AM »
now you must be happy she bumped a contender to help with ratings  cause Im sure your gonna be watching the nationwide races  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #237 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:21 AM »
yup! when i'm not fishing! ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #238 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Hey " bsteckel "

How is it going??   Long time no hear from.....   How are you coming along with your Design??  ( Looking forward to your thoughts on it ))  :)

Hope all is well.  Have you had the kids out on the ice as of late?

Later

Take care and enjoy the ICE...

AltaIce

8)

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #239 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Just put this one together for a trip last week. All aluminum,used snowboards for runners they seem to keep it up on the snow pretty well. pulls easy and holds all our gear. The augar sits on the top and the coleman heater warm's it up for a heated seat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.