Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377578 times)

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #180 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Side
(Image removed from quote.)

Front Topdown

Rear Topdown

Love the sled,  I am a doit your damn self kind of guy as well,  Im building a bench for my pull over shany now.  By the looks of it you need a pack mule to pull that sled.

Front

Under load.  ;)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:19 PM »
First time out with it today. The box serves as a bench and can hold tipups, tacklebox, and bait bucket. I plan on making the deck larger and adding a bucket or two. The sled itself is obviously homemade but not by me. Used it as an actual sled in my younger days.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:34 PM »
First time out with it today. The box serves as a bench and can hold tipups, tacklebox, and bait bucket. I plan on making the deck larger and adding a bucket or two. The sled itself is obviously homemade but not by me. Used it as an actual sled in my younger days.

hey i thinks that's a great sled, looks like it moves real good over the ice. how do you like the skies on it. i have a question about the skies do they stick to the ice at all, when i pull my home made sled across the ice, it heats up the wood runners that I've got and they stick to the ice when i stop? just wondering if they would help mine out.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #183 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:19 PM »
hey i thinks that's a great sled, looks like it moves real good over the ice. how do you like the skies on it. i have a question about the skies do they stick to the ice at all, when i pull my home made sled across the ice, it heats up the wood runners that I've got and they stick to the ice when i stop? just wondering if they would help mine out.
I have had three sleds in the past few years, a good pair of skinny skis, the cross country kind with scales on the bottoms work very well.  The trick is not to add more than a hundred pounds or they will heat when over loaded.  I prefer the skinny skis over down hill ones that weigh more.
Also, on my sled, it's pictured here and on my web site page (on my profile page is the link), an 8" back rest screwed on to the cooler box is a nice wind break and a back rest. The one end makes great for adding 1" pvc pipe for rod holders.
Good luck,
Thread killer

Offline kuttydeluxe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:20 PM »

Thanks to all the photos....i have created my ice sled..I tried it today for the first time and it worked amazing.  Thanks for all the posting of photos to give me motivation and ideas to create my own.

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #185 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:03 PM »
kutty,
you got any pics

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Thanks to all the photos....i have created my ice sled..I tried it today for the first time and it worked amazing.  Thanks for all the posting of photos to give me motivation and ideas to create my own.

Good for you kutty.
Can we see what you came up with.

Fish on

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:09 PM »

When I took it out there was frozen snow on top of the ice, but it was fine on that. I am thinking about making it wider so it is better stabilized. Also I want to bungee the box to the sled and the auger to the box. I didn't have enough bungee cords at the time.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #188 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Well ..... The first Phase of My Otter 2 Mini rebuild Ice Sled  is Finished....
Made the Rod holder  out of PVC and I got the Design from a site that The " TubeDude" ( Utah)  posted and showed us all.
The Rack for the Sled is also made of PVC. Had to build something as I got a Ice tent this year, which weighs 24 lbs.
With all my other gear I had to build something. "LOL"
I Saw  this fall  the  Sled ( his older one ) that " Bart"  had build and showed us all and that proved to me that for the last year of a long summer of thinking to build a PVC frame could be done.
Took it out on a local City Lake today to give it a test and so far so good .. LOL..  Although we did not use or haul the Ice tent today.
It could be top heavy with really  high uneven snow ( I don't think so but buddies and  my Wife think so, LOL. , so down the road, might have to look into side runners.
 May need to get a little advice from  all of you  once you get a chance to see this thing.. (( about  the Side Runners, eg.. skies or what to use etc.))

OPENED up the Back of the Vehicle today and My Buddy saw the Whole set up and ALL HE could say was " Oh MY GAWD".... then Laughed. LOL
 MY Wife just asked me where the Kitchen sink went.
Now I just have to figure out how to Download some pics.   :)  and then I'll be curious what you all may think... ( L )

Take Care and Enjoy the Ice and all those around you.  Have fun.
AltaIce
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Right on AltaIce. 
Sounds like you came up with something interesting.
Can't wait to see it.

Fish on!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #190 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Thanks " icepack"

Phase Three will be the small wind defector,That will protect phase two.. LOL  and down the road I hope to get that Material you told me about.
 :)

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:48 AM »
I went fishing with my couzin and his buddy took a snow board and screwed a rubbermaid container to it.  Then in the front he screwed a 5 gal bucket with a lid to it. He had his bub style shelter straped down to the rubbermaid container and off he went. It was so cool.  Pulled real nice in the snow.  I tried twice to take a pic. I think my camera was not liking the temps.  It was only 7 degrees out. 

Offline IceCowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Run and gun Rig

Have Auger, Will Travel

Offline newtoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:40 AM »
icepack... that has to be one of the best homemade sleds i have ever seen the craftsmanship is just outstanding great job

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #194 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I dont have a picture of it, but I will describe it:  it is a metal dogsled frame that I built wood sides on to form a box.  it is pretty heavy, but I can put my auger, rods, heater, minnow bucket, fish bucket and other things in.  It has a flip top that shuts and locks.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:31 PM »
fantastic ideas!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:45 PM »
This is my sled / Slide out shanty..  Plenty of room to bring anything I could ever want to take with me..  Glide's like a dream on snow or ice..Easily loaded into the back of my truck.  And possibly the best of all.. Other then the screws and paint, everything was free.. !!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Thats a great idea

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I picked up a storage tote to put on my Jet Sled. I like to be organized so I added a couple dividers and storage compartment for propane tanks. The only thing that I am having trouble with is loading the Jiffy.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:36 PM »
that stove is made out of three coffe cans, some sheet metal screws and a piece of heavy gauge tin.
Do you use charcoal for that stove? I'm curious as to why you made it 3 cans high?
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:32 PM »
I once built a nice little stove from an old fashioned metal sweated seam coleman fuel can. The 2" stove pipe and damper was the hard part.

The last stove I built from a "texas style" barbecue grill turned on end and a stove pipe put on the top end. Heats like crazy, hard to throttle down, takes oak blocks, pine boards, and a dozen charcoal briquets.
Thread killer

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #201 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Hi All....
I LOVE my Otter 2 mini Ice sled,   and  for several reasons...
- They way they built it,it is very very strong for it's size. ( very thick bottom)
- It can fit in the back of most closed in vehicles.( well small SUV"S now I guess) ( before the rack it was some cars)
- It is easy to pull. ( before the Rack and now just as easy after the slides put on the bottom )
- AND the most important thing of all is.....  I  will never ever will carry anything on my Back again...LOL The rack is  even more important  now since I bought a 24 lb Ice tent this fall... and it lets me haul other people's stuff now even more..( why should they have to carry there things)

I JUST had to make a few  changes on it to suit me...  :)

First thing the WIFE SAID when she saw the  CAMO DUCT Tape... was .... " Ya know your a Redneck When!....." ;D
All my fishing friends said when I pulled out the back of the Small SUV was... " Oh My Gawd " and Laughed...  
I have been thinking of this build all summer.. and really wanted to use PVC. When I saw the Rod holder that " TubDude" built
and posted for us all. I started on the rod rack ... then I  could not stop thinking about more.. PVC for the rack. had some thoughts of it all summer. BUT when I saw pics of the older Sled that Bart built, when a diff style of PVC that gave the courage to try this one. 

Here are some Pics of My Revamped " Otter Two Mini Ice sled" ( Phase one is now complete...LOL)

Take care ... Have fun on the Ice and with all those around you....AltaIce  ( Hope these pics work. ) :)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #202 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:33 PM »
A few  pics more of Phase one..

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:06 AM »
AltaIce,
TMS comes to mind, too much....mmm, "stuff".

I should know, I have plenty as well.
Thread killer

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #204 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Wow what a rig! I am impressed! ;D
Fish on!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #205 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Awesome job! Well thought out rig, very organized and seems to have everything! A lot of great inovations too! :thumbsup:

I believe we have a new "King of PVC"! :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Great job AltaIce.
It's great to be a redneck.

Fish on!

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Do you use charcoal for that stove? I'm curious as to why you made it 3 cans high?
yes i made it three high so i could sit in my sled with it on it's back and stay warm using it to make coffee, cook lunch of keep warm on those bad days. yes i only use charcoal in it. a 7 LBS. bag will last me several trips. using it almost all day. i had another one that was built out of 10" stove pipe but a 25 LBS. bag would only last a day, maybe. it will heat out a coffee pot, but with the wind up you'll need to have it in a protected area. the thing works real good, but slow. i love making lunch on it.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:43 PM »
unbelievable design!!!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #209 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Thanks Everyone.....
I know it is kinda funny looking but I hope it does the Job.

Yes I think your right "TMS".. it does seem like I have to much stuff..LOL but  there is about the same amount of stuff I had last year when i first used my sled with out the rack .. JUST that this year I seem to NOW have it better organized..
my legs are  not toooo happy with bending over and kneeling down .... so hence why  I built it up a bit so I can change hooks with my rod in a side holder and tackle box near waist height.
You have to understand, all my life I have tended to bring way way to much stuff but as I was growing up all my friends would forget something ( camping) if I left it up to them to bring it....LOL so I found it was to much of a hassle to expect them to remember.. ( not That i have not forgot the import things at the time of need) I have never had a problem with lending my stuff out if others could use it , so hence I tend to bring extra ka ka.. :)

Thanks " WYIfish" and " Greg2ha"... still working on it..

Thanks " BART".. Yes Sir.. I was trying to get everything in it's place. This was or is " PHASE ONE ".. Phase two .. .all ready in the works.
Last year I had it  filled full and all bungee'd down. I have always wanted or needed to bring the hard chairs for height ( have not been able to use or enjoy the Tri-pod chairs at all ). And when anyone that came with me ... of course I would throw there stuff on top of mine.. I hate to carry anything.. why would I make my friends carry there stuff..

I had a long time to plan and over plan this thing in my head and paper. and I knew that I did not like just piling everything on the sled , as it never sat all that well. ( but was still way better than to have to carry the load.
I mean it when I say that " I LOVE My otter Sled"..
Believe it or not.. ( at least on the first test run) It took me way less time to set up and keep everything organized as I needed it when called for.. compared to last years trips and stories.

LOL.. LOL.. ;D... Thanks " icepack".. you'll know I'm a redneck when you see what I want to glue to the Back of it next.. (L). ;D

With the next thing I add to it will have a duel purpose. ( the piece I mean, on the sled and in the ice tent)
 It has only been out once for a test drive..(L). and believe it or not it seemed to pull better this year than it did last year.. the true test was when I had to pull it over dry concrete and then some (skate) rubber mats .( first time out was at a city lake used for skaters also.) I put those new glide sliders on(can't remember the real name of the material ) and it Pulls way better .

Take care all... Tight Lines!!

AltaIce.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.