Author Topic: sled-in fishing (interior)  (Read 2755 times)

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
sled-in fishing (interior)
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Who has a sled and wants to do some away from the truck fishing this year? Koole, volkmar, healy, george, even the Tanana for burbot - I really got out for the first time last year (once to george and once to louise) and I want to do a lot more of it this year.

Maybe we can get a list of names and plan some trips (one a month or something) once the river crossings are good to go?  I really want to do a few overnight trips to - george, lousie, fielding etc.

Having a good group would be fun plus the gas and cabin bills get much cheaper that way! But we probably need to get on the ball and get cabins booked well in advance...anybody?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: sled-in fishing (interior)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Who has a sled and wants to do some away from the truck fishing this year? Koole, volkmar, healy, george, even the Tanana for burbot - I really got out for the first time last year (once to george and once to louise) and I want to do a lot more of it this year.

Maybe we can get a list of names and plan some trips (one a month or something) once the river crossings are good to go?  I really want to do a few overnight trips to - george, lousie, fielding etc.

Having a good group would be fun plus the gas and cabin bills get much cheaper that way! But we probably need to get on the ball and get cabins booked well in advance...anybody?

If I was there I'd be all in!!   ;D
But's what's this talk of cabin's?? ?? ??
Don't they have tents in Alaska?? ?? ??
You know, so you can really get off the beaten path!!!      ;)2

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 10:56 AM »
hey man, I'm bummed I didn't get to meet you at fishapalooza - alas moose season takes priority!

Yeah I forgot to mention that - anyone with an arctic oven would be especially welcome!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Sounds like my kind of trip, but I also live way too far away. Have you seen the green hermit? Its TGF's buddy's canvas tent with a wood stove. Not too hardcore but would get you into some nice country in comfort.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Jeremy I'm in....  My sled is a relic and will need a healthy tune up before deploying.  Anyways, I'd be in if it's not too far!  On a short trip, Fielding is always a blast to hook up with some lakers and stay at the cabin!

Sled in- Take good care of Terry for us eh!  I'm sure camping with him in a tent with a pot of beans would be an adventure!!!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Jim give me a yell if you need a hand with your sled - I only have about half a garage, but am pretty good at tinkering (and the library is pretty good about having manuals to check out)

george lake is a pretty short run too - depending on how far you go on the lake that is.  We need to meet up and jig for burbot on the tanana too - really want to see if my camera is worth anything in the river current

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Jeremy,
Next weekend sounds like a possibility on the Tanana, or maybe after work...  I live next to the river so it's a short drive.  Thanks for the snowmachine offer.  I may take you up on it!  My garage is almost complete and I get the roll up next week so I can start heating her up!  Spent hte summer building it just to get out of the cold...  Anyways, The sled has two broken shocks due to one of my boys running up the a$$ end of my other boys while tooling around Birch last winter.  I have an older Cat that has a bashed in hood, but runs good.  My Ski doo was the one he ran into, so that's how the shocks ended up trashed...  They won't forget that little adventure for sure!  >:(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2009, 12:58 PM »
congrats on the garage - that's really great!

wow the tanana is looking that frozen already? I figured it would be weeks yet? 

I'm trying to finish the camper this weekend then we're road tripping to anchorage the following weekend returning the weekend before thanksgiving. So maybe that weekend after turkey day will finally find me on the ice somewhere.  Hopefully I don't miss the ice-mart deployment - I love C-17s!

Once I'm back in town heading out after work on the tanana (or other in town ponds) is always an option for me so lets make it happen! Even easier after the kids go to bed at 7:30.

Front shocks I'm guessing since you said two? Sounds like a decent wreck...I'm pretty sure I never did anything like that with my dads machine!  ::) Replacing those shouldn't be too painful - other than cost of parts  :'( - as long as anything isn't bent.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:44 PM »
I'm in, got a few ideas for pike also.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I knew you'd be in, glad to hear it! It was your pictures from george last year that got me motivated!

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Sounds good.  I've wanted to try for burbot through the ice.  I've only had set-lines out on the Tanana so far, did end up with a 35"er this fall.  I think it would be a battle to get a big one jigging, even better if it's on a river.  I haven't ventured too far off the road yet, so I don't know much about the other lakes around here, but i'd like to give it a shot.  My snowmobile is in decent shape, but I need to either buy or make a solid draw-bar type hitch to tow my sled/shack.  I've been using a rope since last year, but it's only a matter of time before something ugly happens with that setup.  I'll be out of town until December, so by the time I'm back there should be enough ice & snow to get out anywhere.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Bullhead - I have really enjoyed jigging for burbot (the little I have done - here's a few pics from some lake louise burbot...6-8 lbers) and with the tanana right here it's a great after work or after the kids go to bed option. Is your sled/shack a flipover or something you made?

Great! Looks like we have a few interested in venturing out - I sensed with the force that maybe the Jedi will be able to do some remote fishing this year too!

So maybe once the rivers are good to go (most of the remote lakes require a river crossing) we can try and plan an outing maybe once a month?

Not sure what would be the best spot for a first trip. I haven't been to koole or volkmar so don't know how the ride to get to them is. I know george is a short ride, but a long drive. Tanana is always an option to go chase some burbot. What about that north chena pond?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Sounds like my kind of trip, but I also live way too far away. Have you seen the green hermit? Its TGF's buddy's canvas tent with a wood stove. Not too hardcore but would get you into some nice country in comfort.

I believe the hermit is coming to pay me a visit in March or April for some late ice shenanigans.   ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:37 PM »
hey man, I'm bummed I didn't get to meet you at fishapalooza - alas moose season takes priority!

Yeah I forgot to mention that - anyone with an arctic oven would be especially welcome!

I come for a whole month every year.  8)
My buddy was supposed to do a bunch of fishing with me but went on a 10 day moose hunt up around Denali.
He and his buddy both got their moose (one a 3 year old and the other 4) and spent the next 10 days buchering them!!!!!
We ended up getting out just once.
Fishapalooza will be happening again in 2010.   ;)2

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2009, 12:39 AM »
count me in. :tipup:

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:51 PM »
I am willing to ride b***h  ;D

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:45 AM »

I hope you like to "ski"

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:31 PM »

That's cause you are a bee atch for not calling and seeing if I wanted to go to Quartz so I could study under the Master :bow: !

Jeremy you know I'm all in for the trips! I just need a heads up to get the artcic oven or we can always use my 10X12 wall tent. We can coordinate where we will meet like BD's garage for Tanana stuff and KP's area for Koole and Rainbow lakes. That is with their permission of course.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:43 PM »
anybody interested in trying something between thanksgiving and christmas?

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2009, 04:01 PM »
I'm in for something....would like to get my house out on the lake before Christmas too!

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:00 PM »

Do those speeder things work on the snow?   :tipup:
Bob

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:52 AM »
Ok so I'm in for your trip... FF we can bring your house out whenever you can get time off.  Do you have a trailer? PM me if/when you do that. I'll definitely help out

James

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I haven't had my machine out at all - is there even enough snow out there?

like I told FF I'm broke from my recent trip to anchorage and the wife buying a couch  :'(  (and me buying a trailer!  ;D)...so if I go somewhere it probably should just be a day trip somewhere close? Does anybody know if the trail in to koole is good yet? (river crossing)

I'm taking this friday off and will probably be fishing - I could go then or another time.

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:20 PM »
akjw7 - Here's a couple pictures of the 'ol girl.  It's pretty warm and durable, but HEAVY.  I should have time to get the hitch figured out here soon.  Work's pretty slow, so I don't think anybody would give me too much trouble if I dink around and fab something up.  I have a few more adjustments I'd like to make after taking it out the other day before I'd call it river-worthy.  I'll keep in touch.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Jeremy,

We rode down to the river last Saturday and this is what it looked like where we would usually be on the ice. The trail kept going along the bank, but we didn't go any further. They may be crossing upriver from the Little D, but I think I'll wait a little longer and for more snow.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:00 PM »
nice rig bullhead!  looks lots more sturdy than the quickfish

Kevin I'm with you - that picture would never have me riding across it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.