Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819561 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1530 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:52 AM »
Welcome to the IS StPaul! One heck of a first post. Took me 6 months before I could post a pic. LOL. Nice build!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1531 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Very nice. I wish I had some woodworking skills.
jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1532 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Borrowing from many of the designs on this epic thread, I have crafted my own very fine Smitty Sled.  I have a Clam sixpack which is quite large.  I wanted a dedicated space on the sled to toss it on and lash it down.  Also I had no pre-existing jetsled or otter to attach to the top so I crafted my own lightweight box. Everything stays true to the tool-less assembly/disassembly model, the box attaches with two torsion straps to the eye-bolts on the struts.

Amazing thread guys, glad to be a part of it and a big thanks to Smitty!

(Image removed from quote.)

MB
Youza......now that's a great set-up....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline stpaul216612

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1533 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:34 PM »
@AriettaBob, thanks!  Next time I head out I'll snap a pic of it loaded up.  I've got a custom sunbrella cover from Tarps Inc. in Savage MN coming that will cover the top and sides of the box for when I am towing it with a snowmobile or ATV.  With the canvas cover, the box will also double as a rooftop carrier for my suburban, even the lashing works well for both applications.

@Rugburn, I am in the IT industry and very comfortable around any computer so this was the easiest part of the project.  Thanks for your kind comments.

@jbird68, thank you for you comment! It does not take much skill to produce a product of this quality.... as long as you can cut straight lines everything else is simple.

@smitty0312, the MAN HIMSELF!  Thank you for your kind comments, means a lot coming from the guy who invented/popularized the dang thing.  Great to see that you are selling kits now. 

When the canvas comes back from the shop I will load it up and take another pic. 

MB

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1534 on: Feb 05, 2017, 07:55 PM »
I built mine 48" wide and it pulls right in my quads tracks and fits right between the wheel wells of my truck..

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1535 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Here's mine
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline stpaul216612

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1536 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Quick question for all you guys.  It is possible that this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread but I have not read in detail all 77 pages!

I am interested in building a custom hitch to connect my smitty to the back of a snowmobile or ATV. I'm wondering if any of you have any input on how I should go about this?  The store-bought kits don't look like they will work for my application.  I am thinking about going with 3/4" steel conduit with flattened ends drilled out with carribeaners to connect to the smitty/atv (hopefully through the ski-tips). Any experience towing a heavy-ish smitty behind an ATV/Snowmobile?

Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1537 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Quick question for all you guys.  It is possible that this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread but I have not read in detail all 77 pages!

I am interested in building a custom hitch to connect my smitty to the back of a snowmobile or ATV. I'm wondering if any of you have any input on how I should go about this?  The store-bought kits don't look like they will work for my application.  I am thinking about going with 3/4" steel conduit with flattened ends drilled out with carribeaners to connect to the smitty/atv (hopefully through the ski-tips). Any experience towing a heavy-ish smitty behind an ATV/Snowmobile?

Thanks!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/shappell-universal-jet-sled-ice-fishing-hitch?a=983162

I have one but never attached it to my smitty
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1538 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:36 PM »
Any experience towing a heavy-ish smitty behind an ATV/Snowmobile?

Just remember it's not a race, speed kills gear, anything is better than walking. 10-15 mph max on anything..

<°)))>{

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1539 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Hi!

I'm a new member, but I've been reading a lot on this forum.

I have'nt read all 77 pages (only got to 48-50 something), so I might be wrong,  but I just wanted you to know that there are now a smitty sled in europe/sweden,  the first perhaps?

I needed something to haul my gear in, and this design fit me perfectly. I built it today from scraps I had lying around, so it has cost me nothing so far.

I'll probably change some things in time, but I'm gonna have to try it out first.

//Hans L, Sweden

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1540 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty Hans, I hope you'll get more use out of it than most of us here in the US are getting. It looks good.

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1541 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:22 AM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty Hans, I hope you'll get more use out of it than most of us here in the US are getting. It looks good.

Thank you. I'll get to use it plenty, we have 2 - 2 1/2ft thick ice around here, and as much snow, and that is with an unusually mild winter. Ice-season is usually 5 months a year where I live.

I fish mostly for perch, pike, char, brown trout and stocked rainbow trout.

Lately I have targeted big perch mainly, The one in this pic is 2lbs,and the goal is to catch one twice that.

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1542 on: Mar 03, 2017, 09:01 AM »
No time for fishing yet, but I just had to try the sled.

I loaded it with my cargo boxes, and my 10 yo son, totally about 85lbs.

I am amazed at how high up in the snow it rode, and how easy it was to pull behind me. The skis sunk about 3-4", and with most of the weight in the back, the ski-tips was up out of the snow a little.

I'm a believer in the smitty sled, this is going to make fishing much easier 😊

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1543 on: Mar 09, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I picked up a free pair of downhill skis today!    Win!     I'm going to save them for my next sled, after I figure out what I want to change off sled #2.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1544 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I picked up a free pair of downhill skis today!    Win!     I'm going to save them for my next sled, after I figure out what I want to change off sled #2.

Good luck on your next "Smitty"......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1545 on: Jun 14, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Smitty, what's the best size risers to use?  I have 2x6s, 2x8s, 2x10s, and 2x12s laying around I can make them out of. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1546 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I used 2 x 8 but it's always a compromise between having good stability by keeping it low and being able to go thru deep snow by having it high.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1547 on: Jun 15, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Smitty, what's the best size risers to use?  I have 2x6s, 2x8s, 2x10s, and 2x12s laying around I can make them out of.

I used 2x6 for my risers w/o any issues on all three of my Smittys ...don't forget weight to the rear ...the end of my rear risers are 1 foot from back edge of my skis. I guess you could use 2x8...my concern would be to top heavy so consider that...especially if you don't make it that wide  . I think you get the same amount of snow as I do for my area so 2x6 would suit you .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1548 on: Jun 15, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm making mine to fit a Jetsled XL so it's going to be long and wide.  I'm debating making it a little wider so I can mount the auger along side the Jetsled.  The biggest problem I've had was finding skis that are long enough since the Jetsled is 66" long.  I ended up getting real lucky in that I landed two sets of skis to use and both are a tad longer than the Jetsled.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1549 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Your JetSled can hang over some if need be ...I made my cross braces longer so they hang over some(inch or two) ...with the theory that should the load fall back toward the rear the tie down/ratchet/cam buckle straps would hit the overhang and help from falling off...it seemed to work on long hauls and rough/hilly terrain ...seen some larger overhangs for augers and hubs on this thread I believe...Also a 14-16 foot rope is the key and when attaching to the ski tie it so you are lifting up .Good luck post some pictures. I haul way to much stuff and the Smitty makes it a breeze  ;)2 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1550 on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:09 PM »
I'm with you in that I haul lots of stuff.  On clean ice the Jetsled glides along without any effort but when there's snow it's a work out.  I went through this topic page by page and bookmarked the pages with things I saw guys do that I liked and wanted to incorporate in my build.  I forget who did it, I think it was Smitty, but someone put grip tape on top of their cross pieces to help prevent the sled on top from sliding around.  Right now I'm working on planning out my build because I want to do it once rather than doing a bunch of modifications.  One thing I'm debating is if I should go with two or three cross pieces since the Jetsled is 66 inches long and all the weight I put in it, easily over 100 pounds when I take my shelter along with everything else. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1551 on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Chris338378.... I don't recall seeing any Smittys with three risers ...but if your Jet Sled bows when loaded and sitting atop your Smitty then its defiantly a consideration. Some members have cut small chocks/blocks and screwed them to the cross braces so they line up with  sled/tub inner groves so the sled/tub doesn't shift off to the side when pulling. I have a Jet Sled ....JS-1 I believe ...that thing pulls fairly easy loaded w/o a Smitty...  my Med Otter on the other hand hardly moves on glare ice empty  ;D. I use my Smitty to tow my two man Frabill...but I also hook my Jet Sled via carbineers and chain to the rear ...nice to have a place to store your gear off the snow/ice when running around with the two man between holes. 

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1552 on: Sep 17, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Hey boys......where are your "Smittys" ?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1553 on: Sep 17, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I'm going to make mine soon and would like to know what size risers do you recommend?  I was thinking a 2x10 would work really well.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1554 on: Sep 17, 2017, 02:50 PM »
2x4's is all you need.....it rides on top of most snow conditions.....bigger wood adds more weight.....

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1555 on: Sep 18, 2017, 05:28 AM »
I used 2x8's cuz that's what I had in the scrap pile!  ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1556 on: Sep 18, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Thanks for the info Smitty0312.  I was thinking the 2x8s would be better since I'm going to recess the 2x4 cross pieces. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1557 on: Sep 18, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Thanks for the info Smitty0312.  I was thinking the 2x8s would be better since I'm going to recess the 2x4 cross pieces.

I used 2x8 for risers and 2x3...this saved some weigh for the cross braces ...placed the rear edge of back riser 1 foot from ski edge ..made 3 thus far ...got some heavy use when I made them 3 or so season ago ...now with less snow the last several season just drive my ATV onto the ice .

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1558 on: Sep 18, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip Pal, how far in from the arch of the ski did you put your front riser?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1559 on: Sep 18, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip Pal, how far in from the arch of the ski did you put your front riser?

I think it was a foot to front edge of riser...but each length of skis would be different ...think mine were around 5-5 1/2 feet. ....I just kept in mind the weight to the rear theory ...and played with it till it looked/felt right ...remember a 14-16 feet of rope is a must.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.