New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How many of you fish alone?  (Read 7373 times)

dwayne

Re: How many of you fish alone?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:21 AM »
I fish alone quite a bit.  As a rule I always wear my life jacket and carry my picks.  I do it on first and last ice too.  You just have to be smart about it. 

By the way for all those pick carriers out there make sure you are actually strong enough to pull yourself up out of the drink.  Everyone preaches the carrying of picks but no one ever talks about keeping yourself in good physical condition so you can pull yourself right out before the cold begins to affect your muscle performance.  Only takes about 30 seconds before you begin to lose noticable strength in your extremities. 

Just a thought to remember.

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I fish alone once in a while and not by choice. Work and odd days off create problems. Only go out to lakes I know ice conditions. Face it is just not the same
when you catch a nice fish and you brag to yourself. ;D ;D ;D

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:35 PM »
I fish alone the majority of time.  Hardwater or in the boat.  I do enjoy fishing with my buddies, but there is something to be said for going it alone.  There is nothing more peaceful than just being intune with your fishing and surroundings.
Good things come to those who bait

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:03 PM »
If I didn't fish alone I might as well give up fishing! I do enjoy some company at times but not too many guys are as fanaticle as me to get up at 4AM to go sit on a frozen pond waiting for a flag to pop.

I hate first and last ice and never really feel safe until there is a solid 6" with no bad spots.
Picks are always around my neck and when ice is iffy I stay close to shore with a 100 foot rope anchored to a tree. Been through a few times and it never gets easier even in shallow water. Seems like once the ice breaks it keeps breaking till you can get to land. Good luck with a whistle if you go full in because nothing will take the wind out of you like 32 degree water and absolute fear.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline iceman1603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:26 PM »
DWAYNE!!!  You have mad an excellent point....   :bow: :bow: :bow:
Only the chosen few will walk on water.

Offline brettmcghee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:38 PM »
 Make sure you have a set of saftey picks so you can pull yourself out of the ice if you fall in alone. I've never used them but seen a video where they were used and you can pull yourself right out easily if you go through.
Brett

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:32 AM »
I fish alone all the time. Usually because no one is available to go with me...
One thing that has not been mentioned here- DON'T GO ALONE AT NIGHT!!!
Bad things can happen very quickly.
I really can't amagine anyone being scared to fish alone,in the daytime. I fish alone at NIGHT 75% of the time and weird scary things can and do happen.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:34 AM »
I usually fish with a buddy. When I do fish alone it is on water that I have fished repeatedly and I know the ice, and depths. I prefer ice with others fishing  on it and testing ice as I go. I avoid first and last ice, liking ice of 4 inches or greater.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:43 AM »
fish alone alot but i like fishing with my friends when ever we can get together :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I icefish alone all the time, i mean probably most of the time. I never worry about anything really when i'm on the ice alone, if anything i feel safer. I use common sense, like drill holes, checking ice depth, let it be once the freeze up in yukon is done, maybe a month later and the ice is 6-12inches, only getting thicker by the day.:-0
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Ya know, when I ice-fish alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Pokerman

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:30 PM »
I fish alone once in a while and not by choice. Work and odd days off create problems. Only go out to lakes I know ice conditions. Face it is just not the same when you catch a nice fish and you brag to yourself. ;D ;D ;D

That's why you take pictures and post them here!

Mostly I fish alone, but I'm hoping for some company this weekend.  Walleye jiggin' morning and night with some panfish during the day.

Offline bighillbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't go messin' with a country boy...
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:42 PM »
I always try to invite someone, but end up going alone most times.  Even if a buddy can't go I ask if I can call with my cell when I'm getting on the ice.  Funny setting the phone down or putting it in my pocket while I drill holes for thickness talking really loud so they can hear on the other end.  better than nothing and at least someone will know if I take a dip and need help.  If it is a body of water other people fish I will wait for someone to walk out with if I am first out there or uneasy about access.

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:54 PM »
i go out by myself 90% of the time cos my friends can't take the cold and they suck at fishing in general. 

my advice for going out alone is have a survival suit of some kind or a floatioin device, a good cel phone, battery starter for your car, shovel in case you get snowed in and kitty litter for extra traction for your vehicle.  and all the usual survival kit stuff that you can just leave in the car.  i'm not too worried about falling through cos i usually play it safe on the ice but every year i'm almost stranded out in the middle of nowhere cos my either my car won't start or i get stuck.  hope this helps

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:52 PM »
I hate to ice fish alone, Love to fly fish alone.  When I ice fish, my wife usually comes along. She gets sea sick and attacked by mosquitos in the spring and summer, so Ice fishing is her savior for the fishin game. She is very good at it too.
                          JK

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 PM »
I fish alone alot, usually make sure the ice is good, drill alot of holes if i have to.

Offline HERMIT43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:54 AM »
90% of the time I go alone, I like to fish on my own terms.Just use common sense
and keep safe.

yankem

« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:08 AM »
My long time fishing buddy (father-in-law) is getting too old to handle the cold. Mostly I go alone now or meet up with friends on the ice.

Offline Imfishking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:26 AM »
I almost always fish alone except on weekends. If your unsure of the ice drill a hole just offshore if its good drill another 10 to 15 feet away and then another ten to 10 to 15 feet. Just because there are guys fishing doesnt always mean there is good ice. Take a cell phone and let someone know your plan. If your staying after dark make sure your batteries are good in your flashlight. Trust your gut feeling if the ice doesnt look safe no sense fishing it. Its no fun fishing and being nervous.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Lately, I fish alone, yeeeaaaaahhh with nobody else.........not by choice-my buddy that got me addicted to this last year moved closer to Honeoye and I moved to Silver a couple weeks ago so it's hard for us to hook up on short notice like we used to .  I don't like to go alone unless I know the ice and someone (anyone) else is around.  Any injury or illness can be life threatening in the extreme cold.  My brother is a danger ranger in Ohio and preaches "there is NO safe ice".  I believe it.  I will carry picks, rope, and sometimes wear a life jacket if I'm concerned at all.  Usually if I'm that concerned I go home.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Between hardwater and open water fishing i put in about 80-100 days on the water. With ninety five percent being with somebody(usually one of my sons or good fishing buddies). Grew up sharing  outdoor experiences with my dad and brothers. Guess I'm just a social person. Now I know why I cant hardly finish a beer at home. But can drink like a fish in a bar setting.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:46 PM »
i ice alone most of the time
thanks
RAT
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline dilligaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2007, 04:49 PM »
The guy who taught me ice fishing is long gone.  The guy who used to be my regular partner turned his affections to golf and can't stand the thought of being cold for more than 1/2 hour.  My youngest son likes to hit the ice but he has young kids and limited free time.  Soooo, I'm forced to go it alone 90% of the time.  Having no one to talk with, to b***h about the slow bite, etc., is a real bummer.  Thank God for a radio and a good book (bells on the tip-ups are a big help).

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Mostly fish alone. My schedule usually doesn't allow me to make plans in advance. Also the kids don't really go out with me unless its really nice out.

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2007, 07:22 PM »
  99% of the time I'm out there by myself. I usually can't find anyone that wants to spend their free time on a huge icecube. I do take precautions like carrying picks and my cellphone with me just in case. most of the time I don't go out until someone else has already  led the way.
 It's better to be safe than sorry. No fish is worth your life.

Stay on top!                   JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.