New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Getting Walleye On The Ice !  (Read 844 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Getting Walleye On The Ice !
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:29 AM »
I'm not much of a jigging style ice fisherman but I want to start trying for some eye's .
Usually I just run a string of tip-up's and jig a little between flags .
So what's the scoop on catching some eye's ? Fish at night , jig's or bait ,jig or run tip-up's ?
I know this is a pretty broad question but whats the general consensus ?
Usually I just target pike and jig a little but want to broaden my choices a little .

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Re: Getting Walleye On The Ice !
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:32 AM »
I like using a green or yellow jig head tipped with a minnow or just a minnow head.  I jig in about 5 to 10 feet of water right at dusk and  move to 12 to 15 feet after the sun sets. 

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:23 PM »
I fish ice fish for eyes a bit, I think jigin for them is tough, 80% of the eyes I catch are on tip ups but there are days (very few) when its the other way around,usually when this happens its by complete accident and I am jigin for perch and just happen to slam the eyes. Pimples and rapala vertical jigs work well for me. I set my tipups 6" to 1 1/2 ft from the bottom in 10 -20 fow locating some structure like weed beds and gravel bars or a combination of the 2 can make or break your day. From my expereince when eyes are bitting your gonna know it and if I'm not into them after a couple hours in one spot, I'm moving until I get into them.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:51 PM »
What I do on water that I usually fish for eyes from my boat just before  freeze up is, I fish the same way just like I would from my boat. I'll fish the same area and what I do is punch a mess of holes about 10-15 feet apart near the mud flats drop offs and rocky points then hole hop 5 minutes a hole vertical jigging. Just like in a boat I will give it a snap then imitate the rocking motion of the boat. Thats how I get most wherever I fish for them. I like using the standard bucktails but the eyes at the gravel pit love a bucshot jig bald with a minnow. Good luck

PWR BAIT

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:07 PM »
I target walleyes often it depends on body of water, most of the time they bite well just as its getting light and about one hour up till dark. try useing kastmaster with minnow head,jigging rap, side winder etc. usally if you taunt them enough they will take a wack at it be patient with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.