The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone fish at the Montour preserve near Danville?  (Read 662 times)

Offline R.p.mitchell123

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone fish at the Montour preserve near Danville?
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:35 AM »
I've recently got into ice fishing and I'm from Danville. It seems that everywhere worth going is a hike. Anybody have any luck at the Montour preserve? I've never done well open water fishing there. Maybe hard water will be different.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone fish at the Montour preserve near Danville?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I tried the place several times ice fishing drilled hundreds of holes found dink crappie out towards the face of the dam...towards the line that runs across the lake of goose cove I caught a few catfish. That place is a waist of time if u ask me. Lilly lake might be a better option for you.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Fished it several times last year with no luck. Commonly referred to as the "Dead Sea". Many holes drilled and no fish marked or caught. Hunters Lake is fairly close and I have usually had good action on tip ups as well as jigging.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Not sure just what happened to Montour preserve but that used to be one of my go to lakes,but as of the last 10 yrs. or so the dead sea is a good name for the place.  Something must have happened to the water or the food source there it's definently not what it was back in the day??

Offline Toolman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:05 PM »
It's not as good as it was when ppl owned it.  They don't take care of the place. Try rose valley above loyalsock

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:36 PM »
roughly 10 years ago is when the biologist report came out and boom fish have been taken out of here pretty good   but I still like it

Offline Tfleishauer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Caught one good crappie last year 14" or so and 2 or 3 good gills but that's it through the ice, it's good in the fall but still hit or miss

Offline R.p.mitchell123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:53 PM »
I agree with it not being worth the time. Something big broke me off last year my first time ice fishing. I believe it's the only bite I ever had there.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:16 AM »
I got a call from a friend last evening and he told me that back 10 yrs. or so they sprayed the lake to kill all the plant life back in the coves. I don't know anything about that or even if it's true but maybe that has had an impact on the fish there. Again that may not be true but something changed there for sure....

Offline jigtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:10 PM »
I never catch a lot here, but usually got one or 2 nice sized perch, crappie and a walleye now and then. if you want numbers, go elsewhere

Offline Flagup76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:49 PM »
I like fishing here in the late afternoon to well after dark.  The kids and i have been catching some nice walleye and channel cats.  We also get some decent pike right before dark. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.