The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Bowfishing for perch? On lk. St. Clair?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bowfishing for perch? On lk. St. Clair?
« on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I know it's legal to shoot perch.. but I am trying to make a arrow for doing this thinking my muzzys are to board for shooting perch.. so my question is would some thing that looks like a frog gig work?? On the end of a arrow??  Any one got pictures of what they been using??

Here's a link to the spearing regs that even says it's legal for those wondering..

http://www.eregulations.com/michigan/fishing/bow-spear-fishing-regulations/

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bowfishing for perch? On lk. St. Clair?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Traditional perch spears don't have barbs, because the perch are paralyzed when hit. I would think any field practice point would be best. Fast and quiet through the water, and no barbs to screw up the meat while trying to get it off the arrow...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Although, it seems like overkill...(awesome unintentional pun btw) :tipup:

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Traditional perch spears don't have barbs, because the perch are paralyzed when hit. I would think any field practice point would be best. Fast and quiet through the water, and no barbs to screw up the meat while trying to get it off the arrow...

<°)))>{

That's why I am thinking of making a point with out barbs like a frog gig spear point.. just a smaller version of it. Like muliple light wire tines that looks like a frog gig on end of a arrow ??

But your right for sure don't want to shot one with a tradition bow fishing point! cause the point would screw meat up to bad...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Did I miss something? Under the spearing/bowfishing regulations you posted, I don’t see perch listed as a species to be legally taken by bow.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Did I miss something? Under the spearing/bowfishing regulations you posted, I don’t see perch listed as a species to be legally taken by bow.

Scroll down and see this
"Waters Open To Yellow Perch Spearing

A hand-propelled spear or bow and arrow or crossbow may be used to harvest yellow perch from Jan. 1 – end of Feb. in L. St. Clair."

<°)))>{

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2018, 05:45 PM »
My bad! Didn’t read far enough, so thanks ice!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:31 PM »
My bad! Didn’t read far enough, so thanks ice!

No prob, I think it's the only place in the world where you are allowed to throw steel at perch.. lol..

<°)))>{

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2018, 09:01 PM »
SD you can with a spearing permit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2018, 10:05 PM »
If you can see them clear enough to shoot at them... why not sight cast lol. I know different sport different addictions. We are only allowed to spear/bow fish for suckers, so not much of that going on in my neck of the woods.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2018, 10:22 PM »
If you can see them clear enough to shoot at them... why not sight cast lol. I know different sport different addictions. We are only allowed to spear/bow fish for suckers, so not much of that going on in my neck of the woods.

Through the ice on Lake St. Clair you'll see these monster perch come in and stare at your jig for two minutes, nothing will convince them to bite. The only option is to feed em some steel..

<°)))>{

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Through the ice on Lake St. Clair you'll see these monster perch come in and stare at your jig for two minutes, nothing will convince them to bite. The only option is to feed em some steel..

<°)))>{
:woot: gotcha. That would be interesting, drawing back in a shack and letting fly. Front row may get wet lol. I’m beginning to get the feeling that plankton/shrimps aren’t the primary forage in my waters like they are out west. Every body of water I’ve fished on, When I find them, they’re always willing to bite a spoon with wax worms, or even a chubby darter with no bait. Or it’s because the perch are not pressured since not many people here target them. They just get caught “stealing” the shiners from peoples traps that were set for bass or trout.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:20 PM »

<°)))>{

You know those live bait weight sucker rigs for pike spearing thay uses a pin clip to keep them on I got same idea but for emerald shiners... perch decoy lol's  but yup there getting feed steel cause there so skittish around here.. there are a few cought but not like the shorts you got to sort threw just to get one  jumbo.. it's a 50:1 ratio but you will see 2 or three jumbo on avarge wile sight fishing just got to strum the bow to get a few that won't bite..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.