Author Topic: Frozen in time  (Read 3982 times)

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frozen in time
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:20 PM »
 Where did this thread go that I started?

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frozen in time
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2018, 05:37 PM »
 Just curious how freshwater fishing is going so far this late spring/summer?   Also curious on how the water levels are on the glacier lakes, up, down, the same?

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Just curious how freshwater fishing is going so far this late spring/summer?   Also curious on how the water levels are on the glacier lakes, up, down, the same?

Water levels on lakes such as Roy Lake, Clear Lake, etc in that area are way down, almost 3-4 feet. But others, such as 4-Mile lake and Bullhead Lake (which actually feeds into Roy), are at essentially full levels. The water in Bullhead just can't quite breach the dirt pile/muck in the outlet channel that let's Bullhead feed into Roy to fill it up. They haven't gotten the rains that areas south of Watertown have gotten. I'd driven up through Waubay/Webster and that area is down 2-3 feet as well judging by the extra timber showing in areas of the lake where it's normally submerged. I'm headed up for Labor Day so I hope the bite picks up!

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2018, 08:04 PM »
 Good luck, give us a update after your trip !👍

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Good luck, give us a update after your trip !👍
Sorry to be late with the update. Fishing was still junk when we went. Water was very green on several lakes though the weeds were beginning to die off and break free so we didn't have as many snags as usual. Caught a 5lb pike on about the first or second cast of the day one day so we thought we'd be in for a good time. Nada since that fish though the weather was decent/steady. It still tasted good coming out of the fryer that evening though! I've heard the fishing is really picking up now as the temps are dropping so I'm going to try and get up there before the fish know I'm coming and stop eating!

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2018, 10:27 PM »
Thanks for the info!👍

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Looking pretty cold up there the next 7 days!!!!!!!   Won’t be long.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:32 AM »
 Just curious on how the conditions are up in the Webster area, fished over the New Year’s weekend. The snow/blizzard came through on Monday the 31st, and put a lot of snow/ snowdrifts on the lakes, very hard to get around.  Just wanted to see how things are now and what current ice conditions are?   Thanks!!!

Offline Douglas14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Also looking for the same info and wondering about other lakes besides the big 2 with any truck traffic.  Sounds like some good paths up there on bitter and Waubay now but what about some smaller lakes with maybe less traffic. How's the snow pack and lake access areas. Reply to all or PM me. Thanks. Head up in a little over a week.

Offline 4x4nfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Anyone have ice updates for Poinsett area? Thanks

Offline Walleye Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Ice is very inconsistent all over the state this year. Ice around Webster is 15" depending on where you're at. could be less as there were open spots not all that long ago. Ice conditions are even less stable the farther south you go. Poinsett is around the 12-14" range, but again there was open water, and not near shore, not that long ago. Snow pack around webster is about 1' on the level, with few bare spots and large 2-3' drifts all over the lake. Unless you're on a broken path or traveling with at least one other vehicle plan on getting stuck and digging yourself out. That also means you're willing to bust a path on ice thickness that varies a lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.