Author Topic: Aspen 2 Pre-mixed 2-stroke Alkylate petrol (50:1)  (Read 1381 times)

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
Aspen 2 Pre-mixed 2-stroke Alkylate petrol (50:1)
« on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Our local authorized  Eskimo service center is recommending Aspen 2 Pre-mixed 2-stroke Alkylate petrol (50:1) for any ice auger . Does any one here have any experience with this premix fuel. It's flying off their shelves in spite of the expensive price tag.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Aspen 2 Pre-mixed 2-stroke Alkylate petrol (50:1)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Just use a non alcohol gasoline (very inportant) with a quality oil. Like Amsoil or Stihl for example. No need to drink the Koolaid.....er......ga soline. Or Jack Daniels. Same thing.  ::)
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Some augers run good on it, others not so much. Do your own research. Aspen is a fuel that’s had most of the volatile components removed to make the exhaust healthier for the user. It comes from Europe, which should tell you enough. Up here, lots of no starts with aspen in the cold. It’s crazy expensive too. We have one shop that dumps your fuel and refills it with aspen, whether you want it or not, and they have lost a ton of business over doing it. Your choice, do your own research and decide if you want to try it.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:26 AM »
I've been running the VP fuel and mixing it with amsoil, very impressed.
Starts and runs great and doesn't go bad.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Here in Canada where I'm located  it gets to -40 degrees Celsius (-40 degrees Fahrenheit). Anything to help extreme cold weather starting is a plus.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I’m in winnipeg. Tons of issues with aspen here.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Just did the conversion. In US dollars, it's $6.79 per liter. 3.787 liters in a US gallon = $25.71 per gallon. I'll pass.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I'm on the east coast and we have a product called Trufuel.  It sounds like it may be the same type of thing Aspen is.  I've been using it in my auger this year as well as lawn equipment.  They seem to run better and I don't have to worry about mixing my own.

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Anything you can high lite. We are having a big debate on our local AO forum here in Alberta. I am old school as well as others but many are on board with this stuff. At 3 to 4 times what I pay for my Premium gas plus Opti many of us are wondering if this stuff is amazing or just another big profit taker.

I’m in winnipeg. Tons of issues with aspen here.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:01 PM »
I'm on the east coast and we have a product called Trufuel.  It sounds like it may be the same type of thing Aspen is.  I've been using it in my auger this year as well as lawn equipment.  They seem to run better and I don't have to worry about mixing my own.

Two totally different fuels. Trufuel runs great.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Anything you can high lite. We are having a big debate on our local AO forum here in Alberta. I am old school as well as others but many are on board with this stuff. At 3 to 4 times what I pay for my Premium gas plus Opti many of us are wondering if this stuff is amazing or just another big profit taker.

Sure. Personal experience. Old jiffy white lightning. Ran great on premium. Shop put aspen in. Wouldn’t cold start. Sisters Eskimo. Wouldn’t start in-15. Ever. Drained aspen, tank of premium. Ran like crap till the aspen was done, smoothed out, purrs great. Left it outside overnight, -25. Four pulls and fired. I won’t touch it. It’s designed for European loggers, not the cold imo. Lots of better stabilized fuels out there.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:57 AM »
I never heard of Aspen but I swear by True Fuel pre mix 40-1 in my SM Mag 2000. True fuel is nothing but 92 octane pure gas with zero ethanol in it and a premium synthetic 2 cycle oil at the correct and stated ratio.

What a joke, My Mag 2000 states right on it to use a 24:1 mix ratio and it was a bear to get started, ran like crap, smoked and dripped black gunk from the muffler all the time. I switched to the 40:1 True fuel on the recommendation from my small engine repair shop who is an authorized SM dealer and it runs like a charm, starts easy and no more gunk from the muffler. Home Depot and Lowes carry True Fuel and I get it for $4.99 a quart on sale. When I can find non ethanol gas around here it would be much cheaper at around $4.00 a gallon but there is only one station here that even has non E gas.

That 24:1 mix ratio is probably good for the initial brake in on a new engine but way too rich thereafter. I removed my spark plug to replace it thinking that was the problem. It sure was because it was black as tar and wet where it should be dry and tan color like toasted bread. I took my Stihl chain saw in for service and after they cleaned and adjusted the carb he told me to use nothing but True Fuel or their Stihl brand of Non E gas which is the same as True Fuel. Bottom line is corn/ethanol goes much better on my dinner table with fresh fish than it does in my auger.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline randyvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I have a husky auger, run husky canned fuel in it runs amazing never a prob starting , fuel stabilizers in it , antifreeze in it, will last 2 years with out going gummy, worth every penny!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I've been running the VP fuel and mixing it with amsoil, very impressed.
Starts and runs great and doesn't go bad.

X2. I've been using VP racing's SEF 4 cycle fuel mixed with Amsoil Saber for a few years. Very happy starts and runs very well and no carb issue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.