The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ATV’s on the ice law?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Walleyekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
ATV’s on the ice law?
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Does anyone know where to find the law about the use of atv’s or motorized vehicles on the ice. I emailed fish & boat but big surprise they never responded. I would like to design some kind of cart or something that falls within the laws to pull equipment when I want to hike out a few miles.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ATV’s on the ice law?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:01 PM »
 Go here... http://fishinpa.com/ ... right side "PFBC property + dog regulations"... click it.... scroll down the page. That covers anything owned or controlled by the PFBC.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Seen a guy last year use a large 4 stroke snowblower to haul his sleds.  I think he had 2 or 3 sleds in tandem and just walked behind the snowblower.   :o
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:20 PM »
if you can register it as a boat and comply with all the boating regulations then it legal....however if it’s an electric only lake the propulsion on that boat must be electric as well....I did a bunch of research last year on this bc I was going to pick up a 12-14 foot Jon boat and build an ice scratcher boat....which is totally legal in PA I’ve spoke to the fish commission and have emails saved in regards to this conversation...I would have built one but 90% of the lakes I fish are electric only and have no desire to build an electric one....however, if I fished mostly non electric lakes I’d defiantly build one.

Snow blower isn’t legal it is defined as a vehicle unless of course you could register it as a boat

Vehicle definition:

a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.

Only other work around and I’m not totally sure of is a horse, pony or a maybe a donkey

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I always  wondered about using a snowblower..........co urse not on an electric motors only lake but like beltville where its unlimited whats the harm sure isn't gonna exceed the speed limit

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I always  wondered about using a snowblower..........co urse not on an electric motors only lake but like beltville where its unlimited whats the harm sure isn't gonna exceed the speed limit

Pony ! There's a guy here at work that raises MINIATURE PONIES . They'd be perfect ! They're about the size of a large dog . Of course if it's really cold & windy , you would want to bring another shelter to act as a small barn for the little critter . :clap:

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:37 PM »
pony???????? don't forget tp bring a pooper scooper along :roflmao:

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:49 PM »
What about one of those tiny smart cars your need to plug in? That's electric!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
 Peddle power...a couple of studded tires and a teenager to peddle and you're set.... 

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Chute82

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Pony ! There's a guy here at work that raises MINIATURE PONIES . They'd be perfect ! They're about the size of a large dog . Of course if it's really cold & windy , you would want to bring another shelter to act as a small barn for the little critter . :clap:

Sounds like a great time when the pony sticks it’s hoof in a hole...would be one hell of a rodeo to watch

Offline Coonhunter34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Talked to an old timer at pymatuning one day that told me a story that he uses a snow blower and has gotten a ticket but took it to court and won
Widow Maker Lures
Western Pa Hardwater tournament series

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:05 PM »
This is another law in this state that needs to be changed, I was trying to come up with some kind of a pulling devise , most guys today are hauling a lot of gear and flip over shanty's , my set up with gear is around 100 pounds . and I am not getting any younger or skinnier.. 

Offline Walleyekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Well it looks like my only options are to design something around a legally registered boat like an ice scratcher or a wilcraft. I’m leaning towards something like the wilcraft with wheels & chain driven at this point. Thanks for all the info & ideas.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2018, 12:41 PM »
icenutter did the use of a snowblower bother people on the lake when those guys used it just wondering about the noise or if they were gentlemen about it . do you think it bothers people that they are using it

Offline bigbassbowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "GO BIG OR GO HOME"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:12 PM »
No difference between gas auger and snow blower it's a tool it doesn't haul people it pulls gear that's it  at a slow rate of speed it sounds like people need to mind their own business
A bad day of fishing is a good day away from the wife!!!!

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:26 PM »
bowman nobody is getting into anyones business they are asking questions but you bring up a good point on them being a tool

Offline gusgus637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I looked into all this years ago when I had an idea to convert an electric wheel chair into a tracked shantie puller.  Unfortunately the laws on all the state parks say “no motorized vehicles permitted on the ice”.  So unfortunately even if it’s electric, it’s still a motor.  Stinks, but that’s the law.  I think about the only/best option is a fat tire bike. 

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:22 AM »
if you can register it as a boat and comply with all the boating regulations then it legal....however if it’s an electric only lake the propulsion on that boat must be electric as well....I did a bunch of research last year on this bc I was going to pick up a 12-14 foot Jon boat and build an ice scratcher boat....which is totally legal in PA I’ve spoke to the fish commission and have emails saved in regards to this conversation...I would have built one but 90% of the lakes I fish are electric only and have no desire to build an electric one....however, if I fished mostly non electric lakes I’d defiantly build one.

Snow blower isn’t legal it is defined as a vehicle unless of course you could register it as a boat

Vehicle definition:

a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.

Only other work around and I’m not totally sure of is a horse, pony or a maybe a donkey

This sums up the conversation.....has to be registered as a boat. If you search post from years past......you will find many. This comes up every year.....after year....after year.

However, I can say for sure that a miniature Pony has never came up !!
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I’m gonna buy a fleet of donkeys, and tug sleds to the ice how much are u willing to pay? hahahah....I know when I fished walker lake last weekend and drug my gear through the creek and up and over the freaking dam Face with no snow on the ground id have paid someone 50 to come drag the dang gear for me hahahah

Chute82

« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Would be easier to buy a few huskies...horse eat money and crap work.. 2 or 3 working dogs could easily pull you stuff and won’t need a shelter for them on the ice.  Plus zoning laws could ruin your day keeping a horse on your property..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.