Author Topic: What type of line and test?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
What type of line and test?
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Hello all, making a trip to Northeast SD for a perch trip in January. Wondering what pound test and what type of line I should have on my reels for perch and eyes. Is the water really clear to where I need fluoro? Mostly perch fishing and then eyes in the morning and evening. Thanks!

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What type of line and test?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I like to use 2# or 4# braid on my lure jigging rods due to the generally guaranteed presence of a pike or 3. That way if one swoops in to take a swipe at my expensive buckshot or rippin rap, I don't immediately get bitten off. If I know there aren't a ton of pike in the lake, I go 4# flouro when using a jighead only or targeting mostly walleyes. I've used Northland Bionic mono in the past but don't have a pro-con opinion on it. I WISH I got out fishing enough to have the "problem" of reams of line experience/performance data for you though!

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I've got 10# Power Pro braid on everything.  Haven't found a time yet that it mattered next to mono.
Gunnerdog

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:40 AM »
For deep jigging 6# Suffix Ice Braid with a 3 foot of 3# Suffix Floro. leader. For standard jigging. I use 3# or 4# Suffix floro.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:34 AM »
all my rods are 3, 4, or 6 pound floro.  I break off on pike maybe 3 times per winter.  Landed 4 34"-38" pike last winter on 4 or 6 pound floro.  I lose more $$ in tackle the first 20 minutes I'm on the river in the spring than I do all winter.   ;D

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:51 AM »
all my rods are 3, 4, or 6 pound floro.  I break off on pike maybe 3 times per winter.  Landed 4 34"-38" pike last winter on 4 or 6 pound floro.  I lose more $$ in tackle the first 20 minutes I'm on the river in the spring than I do all winter.   ;D

True, Fluoro has been pretty durable for me too when I've been surprised by a little snothead pike screaming in and snapping up my perch/walleye rig.

Offline jwilmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:18 PM »
I use the 6# ice brand mono. Seems to be plenty for perch and eyes.

Offline HunterDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:35 PM »
I have had problems with braids icing over easily. I am going to fluoro this year.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:31 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-line/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/106184880/northland-reg-bionic-ice-reg-fluorosilk/1252974.uts?slotId=0

I've been using the above line for a few years now. Absolutely love it. Invisible in the water, great strength and line twist hasn't been an issue. Depending on the rod and what I'm fishing for, I try to stick to the lightest line possible. I've use all the test in this brand they've all been great. I've tried braid before and between ice ups and buddies out fishing me that had mono, I've completely ditched braid for ice fishing.

Offline Bronkota

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the great advice guys! A lot of my questions have been answered.

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:54 PM »
If your going to be sitting in a heated shack a majority of the time I’d say braid is fine. For out hole hopping with the potential of icing up I’d go with mono. I’ve tried hole hopping with braid and it’s a huge pain in the ass especially when it’s colder out. Never again will I do that, it’s been mono for me...

Offline high_flyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:17 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-line/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/106184880/northland-reg-bionic-ice-reg-fluorosilk/1252974.uts?slotId=0

I've been using the above line for a few years now. Absolutely love it. Invisible in the water, great strength and line twist hasn't been an issue. Depending on the rod and what I'm fishing for, I try to stick to the lightest line possible. I've use all the test in this brand they've all been great. I've tried braid before and between ice ups and buddies out fishing me that had mono, I've completely ditched braid for ice fishing.

I agree with this brand, I use it in 6#

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:26 PM »

hi  I use real mageit or whatever    you spell it    wallmart has it     its in a blue can    hope I helped  you
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Mono!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Berkley. Trilene XL 6 lb test.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Perch rods, 3# mono with 3# fluorocarbon leader. Walleye rods 8# mono with 8# fluorocarbon leader.

Offline steveice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:31 PM »
I use 4 lb mono for eyes, 2 lb mono for panfish including perch and 1 lb mono for tough crappie bites.  I disagree with some of the posters here on a couple of issues. First of all…flouro is not invisible. In fact under the right conditions(sunshine) it is more visible than colored mono. Don't believe me?? test it yourself. Just use an underwater camera and view the different lines on a sunny day. The flouro will outshine everything. Invisible….my a##. One of the biggest scams in fishing line ever. Thats not to say flouro is not a good line and has other great qualities.

The other issue I have is that line size does matter. Some say no difference if they use 6 or 10 lb test. The real answer ….line size makes a difference, sometimes just not enough to notice. If there is no difference between 6 and 8 lb line,no difference between 8 and 10lb line, no difference between 10 and 12 lb line, no difference between 12 and 14 lb line,,,,,pretty soon there is no difference between 6 lb line and 25 lb line?  Everything matters to some degree. Some days more than others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.