New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339871 times)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8010 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I don't know where you fished, I was at Heartstone and couldn't buy a bite. Actually I had one hook up, but it got off. That was it.
But it was my very first trip to LG....
Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing ??? ???

Not necessarily. The fish seemed a bit off yesterday, he might have just got on a school that was looking to feed. Also, just moving a few feet at times makes all the difference.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8011 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:40 PM »
I don't know where you fished, I was at Heartstone and couldn't buy a bite. Actually I had one hook up, but it got off. That was it.
But it was my very first trip to LG....
Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing ??? ???
Get away from the crowds out there. Those fish off Hearthstone have seen every jig in the book the last few weeks.
Big lesson the Togue Train boys showed me over the weekend. Find some deep water 1/4 mile or more away from the pile of guys planted near any access. And progressively get farther away. The farther you can get, the less shy the fish will be.
I also learned to downsize as the day goes on. Well... my 13 year old did. He put 4 on the ice first thing in the Saturday morning with a 1 1/4 oz jig we picked up at 307 feeling froggy shopping. Foolishly heavy, but it got him down 90' in a hurry. His aggressive chasers started turning away on him about 10 am. He downsized on his own to a small buckshot and stuck a few more before we gave up. Don't anyone ever tell him I blasted his tricks here. The kid would kill me.  ;D   
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8012 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Not necessarily. The fish seemed a bit off yesterday, he have might just got on a school that was looking to feed. Also, just moving a few feet at times makes all the difference.

I hole jumped all morning lots of chasers and a few landed. Ate lunch with dad at noon and then hit another spot and IT WAS ON! Had three at a time coming in at a time fighting over who was gonna eat! I move aound a lot until I find the fish that want to eat....that's my advice! Tight lines :)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8013 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:21 PM »
I hole jumped all morning lots of chasers and a few landed. Ate lunch with dad at noon and then hit another spot and IT WAS ON! Had three at a time coming in at a time fighting over who was gonna eat! I move aound a lot until I find the fish that want to eat....that's my advice! Tight lines :)

There is nothing better. Watching them all compete for a hooking. Perfect!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8014 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Not necessarily. The fish seemed a bit off yesterday, he have might just got on a school that was looking to feed. Also, just moving a few feet at times makes all the difference.

^This.  I was on the togue train and brought the average number of lakers per person way down.  Someone always has to have the dead hole(s), even after several moves.  When they were catching the to the right, left, and behind me while I marked nothing, I knew it wasn't my day.
I love clipboard man

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8015 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Fish were on fire yesterday 4 of my buddies iced over 150 fish in total including 1 over 16lbs. Idk what makes fish bite in 1 area and not in another. All I know is I can't wait to get back out there and frustrate myself trying to find some aggressive macks and jumbo perches

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8016 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:03 PM »
^This.  I was on the togue train and brought the average number of lakers per person way down.  Someone always has to have the dead hole(s), even after several moves.  When they were catching the to the right, left, and behind me while I marked nothing, I knew it wasn't my day.
how did u guys do today

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8017 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:36 PM »
how did u guys do today

Perch limit for me.  Kurt got some lakers out further.  Your Dad got perch.... but lost his auger on the way.  :'(  You're the only family member I've yet to fish with this year!
I love clipboard man

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8018 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Im.fisging veryday weds through till it snows again and I have to plow.

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8019 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Question for u tip up guys for lakers , what weight are you using on ur tip ups like 1/4 to 1/2 ? And are you suspending baits like half way down or having more success on bottom ? Lately for guys setting for salmon are u setting tip ups under the ice or slightly down in water column on structure or just out over the basin ? Just getting into tipup fishing lakers and salmon more just need a little help

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8020 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Went out this weekend and brought a former student that is now a fishing buddy. He had the time of his life...landed his first 25 " laker on a panfish rod with 4# test line....too bad my video skills stink and just got a video of the sun glare. Glad to see so many nice people out on the ice....friendly reminder to all...LEAVE NO TRACE. pick up after yourself. Nothing will ruin it for the good sportsmen that we are than trash on the ice and at the all to rare good access sites. Always bring a bag to pick up stuff when we are out.

I would be interested in hearing about some tip up recommendations as well for lakers. Use them a lot for walleye and other species , never tried with lakers because it commits you to an area.
tight lines

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8021 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Just started fishing LG this year. I've fished off mbd and gone only out to about 40' there was a solid 12" throughout, excluding ice eaters. I've been all throughout Harris and saw mostly 12-14" out to the north end of Long Island and been out in the lake west of Long Island where it decreased to about 8-10". My question is am I correct in assuming I could leave mbd with a four wheeler and avoiding obvious hazards safely venture up the east side of the lake all the way to canoe island at this point? What have people been seeing out in the middle? We had at least 8" over 70'west of Long Island.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8022 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:39 PM »

Eh what can you do...doesn't help when the guy next to you lands 30  ;)

There's always this weekend.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8023 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Perch limit for me.  Kurt got some lakers out further.  Your Dad got perch.... but lost his auger on the way.  :'(  You're the only family member I've yet to fish with this year!
I think I was fishing by you guys yesterday. I was the one who yelled to you when one of your flags went up.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8024 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:26 AM »
friendly reminder to all...LEAVE NO TRACE. pick up after yourself. Nothing will ruin it for the good sportsmen that we are than trash on the ice and at the all to rare good access sites. Always bring a bag to pick up stuff when we are out.
Amen to that! as usual I came off the ice yesterday with a couple handfuls of trash in my sled, including someones e-cigarette I found laying in the parking area where I parked. Looks expensive, I'm sure they were't happy about losing it!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8025 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Just started fishing LG this year. I've fished off mbd and gone only out to about 40' there was a solid 12" throughout, excluding ice eaters. I've been all throughout Harris and saw mostly 12-14" out to the north end of Long Island and been out in the lake west of Long Island where it decreased to about 8-10". My question is am I correct in assuming I could leave mbd with a four wheeler and avoiding obvious hazards safely venture up the east side of the lake all the way to canoe island at this point? What have people been seeing out in the middle? We had at least 8" over 70'west of Long Island.

I heard there was a soft area in the ice there west of LI, and that was before this rain and warmth/wind today. Guy said his snowmobile temporarily became a jetski around there. You're probably OK to Woods Point. Don't think it is a safe assumption beyond that.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8026 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I heard there was a soft area in the ice there west of LI, and that was before this rain and warmth/wind today. Guy said his snowmobile temporarily became a jetski around there. You're probably OK to Woods Point. Don't think it is a safe assumption beyond that.
[/q

Yes there was and it looked like a good sized area. Use a little extra caution around there.uote]

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8027 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:10 AM »
I think I was fishing by you guys yesterday. I was the one who yelled to you when one of your flags went up.

Had I known that it was you I would have said hello! Hope you got into them. I’m too stubborn to move... the schools were swarming around so I waited for them to come to me.
I love clipboard man

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8028 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Not to start a big hoorah but I saw the other day that there were about 2 dozen vehicles parked along both sides of Assembly Point Rd near Neighbors Way and guys were going across the lawn of a house right past posted signs! Lets see how long it takes to get that shut down.................. ...Again!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8029 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Eeeesh how hard is it raining up there

Offline PoundingIce247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8030 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 AM »
its coming down pretty hard today

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8031 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I thought I saw a snowmobile skim through between assembly point and LI on Saturday afternoon is that the soft spot your talking about or is there one further west out in deeper water? I'm most interested in the east side south of LI. I'm planning on mounting bench seats on a trailer so I can can bring 5-6 out this weekend behind me and would prefer to park at MDB if possible.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8032 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:45 AM »

Sounds like my luck on Sunday. Went to a spot where I can usually get on but between the bubblers and warm-up, I couldn't. So, I went to Hearthstone until dark and never marked a fish until about 4pm. I wish FA Beach would freeze.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #8033 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Harris bay was good to me again yesterday :icefish:
Master Laker taker.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8034 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Would anyone be interested in fishing this  Friday and staying the night to catch smelt then fish all day Saturday? I'm dieing to try smelting on the lake now that it's legal to catch them. I don't really want to spend a night out there alone. Sucks fishing 2 days alone
Go big or go home

Offline fishhuntkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8035 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Anyone want to fish Tomorrow? Looking to get into some Lakers! Tight lines!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8036 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Anyone want to fish Tomorrow? Looking to get into some Lakers! Tight lines!
headed out of heartstone around 615 with a couple buddies welcome to join

Offline Ice_fisher238

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8037 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Trying to get up to lake George this weekend for Lakers, anyone know where the safe ice is stay safe and tight lines

Offline Ammo5254

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8038 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:55 PM »
You guys think the edges are still safe after this rain?  I wanna fish lol.

JJ

« Reply #8039 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:13 PM »
HEARTHSTONE WARNING: be careful driving down to the lower parking, if you can even get down there without ending up in the trees. I didn't even try this evening, wanted to check the shore and the roads were already slick up top and starting down the hill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.