New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414965 times)

Offline brian318

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over Ill fish there too
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2580 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:43 PM »
You don't have to answer, but where can you park to access the Bell tower? I do not trespass, and would pay to park if need be. I fished there this summer with my boat and it was really nice. Really though if you have a secret parking spot, or something I don't want to be that guy. I would just go across the lake and fish the big holes over by Midway. Some of my best fishing first Ice has been close to shore by Mayville honestly. I may go down there Friday AM if anyones going out. Stay safe everyone and thanks on reports. I like fishing, the catching part is the hurdle!

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2581 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:16 AM »
I was one of the 50 guys off long point yesterday. I was on the north side. Guys were fishing all the way up to Bemus Point and I could see guys in magnolia bay. The ice was 4-6” where we were at and the bite was slow. Saw a couple guys with keeper walleye. Definitely saw a lot of fish, just couldn’t get them to eat. If anyone ventures out off of mayville, would you please report on conditions? Planning on pulling an all-nighter on Friday night since we have a big storm coming. Might just have to do a some crappie searching. Good luck all, it’s here!!

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2582 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I have not fished Chautauqua in three winters. Can you still park at the club/restaurant in front of the deep hole near Midway? I went there many years back and bought lunch there and they let me park. Can not remember the name of it.

Offline sawdust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2583 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:50 AM »
You can’t park right next to the bell tower and building anymore.  They put in a brick sidewalk from the road to the tower. Just stay on the road, don’t park on the lawn or block anything.

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2584 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:19 AM »
I have not fished Chautauqua in three winters. Can you still park at the club/restaurant in front of the deep hole near Midway? I went there many years back and bought lunch there and they let me park. Can not remember the name of it.
I drove through there Tuesday. I'm pretty sure you can. The road was open and plowed. It should be ok. Its a state park now.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2585 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Sawdust,
       Did you fish belltower this season or going on past season in reguard to parking?

FN

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #2586 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:09 PM »
I believe you’re referring to the Vikings? My understanding is you can utilize their lot as long as you park your rig at the southeast far end, away from the building. I have to say I haven’t ice fished from the Vikings for several years, however, so I’m not absolutely certain.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2587 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Anyone venturing out today? Loaded up and ready to fish somewhere after work this evening. Good luck to all today, will hopefully have a report for you guys late tonight!

Offline sawdust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2588 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:47 AM »
FN,
     Talked to one of the groundskeeper last year just before first ice.

Offline Robbiez111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2589 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Steelie Wheelie,

Me and a Buddy will be heading out tonight but wont be on the lake till 1am. Hows the ice conditions? Gonna be first time on hard water this year. Just setup my garmin livescope so cant wait to do some cheat fishing haha.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2590 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Roger that Sawdust,that's good to know,thanks!

FN

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2591 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:14 PM »
There are a few slushy spots in mayville, is it looking that way most everywhere else too? Fished there all afternoon today.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2592 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:42 PM »
How deep was the snow? 

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2593 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Hello, been a few years since I fished here, I was wondering about parking at the Bell tower? Is it still allowed? Any info would be helpful!! Thank you!

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2594 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:57 PM »
How deep was the snow?

DEEEEEEEP. Over knees.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2595 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Different game for some spots now! Really going to have to work for them.      They are talking 1/2 inch of rain on wed.  Not cool.  Dont know if there is a “boots” thread on shanty but what do people like best for ice fishing boots?  Im in the market thanks to a mishandled auger blade.  Im on human power only, so they can’t be heavy.   Thx

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2596 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Different game for some spots now! Really going to have to work for them.      They are talking 1/2 inch of rain on wed.  Not cool.  Dont know if there is a “boots” thread on shanty but what do people like best for ice fishing boots?  Im in the market thanks to a mishandled auger blade.  Im on human power only, so they can’t be heavy.   Thx

I love my RPM's by Irish Setter boots. Super lite weight.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline defaz249er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2597 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Hard to beat Muck boots.  Waterproof and easy on/off.  Not alot of ankle support though.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2598 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:24 PM »
I think the rain will be good if the forecast is accurate,looks like a melt down and freeze by weekend if the ice doesn't sink!

FN

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2599 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:28 PM »
thx for boots ideas. Looked them both up. 

Offline Mtnd777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2600 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:25 PM »
Military surplus mickey mouse boots have always worked for me

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2601 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Never targeted Walleye through the ice, and I haven't had much experience on chautauqua yet either. Where do I start? what depth? My buddy has a place just across from Longpoint he will let me use.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2602 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Sounds like a good place for a B&B Doppler,how many beds does it have? ;D ;D ;D

FN

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2603 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Be safe - read the reports - someone went through the ice today near the Bell Tower. 
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2604 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Well at least it seems as if the dumping of snow will be short lived. Hoping the rain tomorrow will knock some of the snow down and the colder temps through the week will make ice building possible again. Could only imagine how much ice we would have if it weren’t for this snow. Oh well, back to normal by weekend I’m figuring.

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2605 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Yes it would be nice if the pressure cracks freeze over so nobody gets wet. Stay safe everyone

Offline DW45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2606 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 AM »
We fished Friday and Saturday off of Long Point.  Action was pretty slow.  4 Inches of clear ice.  As for boots, I have always had good luck with Lacrosse Pac Boots.

Offline defaz249er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2607 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Anyone going out tomorrow?  The forecast does not look good.  Have the day off, I'm 90min drive away.  Is it worth a try?

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2608 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Sitting her wondering the same thing as Defazzer.. Any advice would be awesome

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2609 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Bite was on tonight. Conditions don’t look bad until the afternoon. Bit windy is all. I’ll be out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.